The Govs Were Golden

GovMan

Man I'm so proud of those William Blount Governors. Almost everybody picked against them tonight against the Mighty Rebels of Maryville. All year everyone has sung the praises of Maryville and Bearden, who are both great teams. But for tonight, William Blount took center stage.

Nick Everett, quick as lightening little point guard who rarely scores, hit 2 or 3 huge baskets. Jonathan Johnson showed why he is the "second best" all around player in the district. Dustin Rose, who's heart cannot be measured, left it all on the court. Sophomore Aaron Eakins hit 4 or 5 threes, only missing one all night. And Bobby "The Big Show" Golden took a "stroll in the park" scoring 10 of WB's first 12, finishing with 24 and just dominating the paint. His MVP award was well deserved.

Of course it's far from over. WB could very well face Maryville again. And while certainly WB would be a favorite in that match-up, as long as there is a Humphrey, there is a great chance for Maryville to win.

But lets worry about that when the time comes ... for tonight, "Congratulations to this year's District 4AAA champions," Coach David Baumann's William Blount Governors.

GovMan

BTW, WB began play in 1979. This is their first District Tournament Championship. It was worth the wait.

[Edited by GovMan on 2-28-03 11:42P]

GovMan, I love ya buddy, and I give William Blount props for their hustle and their heart, but you know that the refs were TERRIBLE! Lee Humphrey was contained well all night, he still got 20, but the amount of shots he got were few and far between. Thing was on nearly every single three point shot a Maryville player took they were fouled! I know both teams were playing agressively, but those fouls have to be called! I know one ref saw Andy Tipton get fouled on a three because he was standing right infront of me and I saw it! I dunno, but in William Blount we never seem to get great refs for some reason, no matter who we play! I'm looking forward to region and playing William Blount again, maybe this time the refs will be a little more kind on the Rebels. Now don't get me wrong Gov, I'm not blaming it all on the refs, William Blount came out with fire and wanted it, and Maryville didn't hit! William Blount also came out with great defense, but the triple teams on Lee should have been fouls, not because it was unfair, but because they were fouling! The three point shots should have been fouls, I think Lee shot 4-5 and got fouls called on maybe 2, now Nick Everett did a great job at staying with Lee, but once Lee shot the ball he fouled him almost every time, hardly ever called! Now I don't think it would have changed the outcome because I think WB just wanted it a little bit more, but it sure would have been a little more well...maybe the best word here is fair!? Great win WB, but I just want to see either a cleaner game or a game where a player can shoot the ball and trust that if he is fouled the ref will call it. Ohh yea, and Bobby and Hagee missing the open shots made that game a LOT easier for me to swallow! Those were pretty ugly!

Congrats on the win. You all played well tonight, no doubt about it, you deserved to win. Props to Golden and Eakins. I haven't seen WB play in a while and well, tonight, Golden was on fire. I made a comment earlir that he wasn't unstoppable, but he sure was tonight, the rebs couldn't even challenge him. The rebs missed some nine free throws in the 4th, that might have given them the edge in the game. Definately not making excuses though, WB deserved that win. Maryville Rebels, it wasn't the refs that caused the loss for Maryville. Yeah, sure they missed a few calls, but thats gonna happen every game. There are no excuses for the rebels, they don't attempt to make any, so don't make any for them. They got out played by WB. Congrats on District Tournament Champs WB.

Answer,

Yes, Scott is one of Coach Baumann's assistants. He knows a lot of basketball. A great "x & o" coach.

Ball, quit being so nice, you're scaring me.

MaryvilleRebel, they missed some calls on Maryville too. The refs all week were not real consistant. Yeah I agree the Golden and Hagy debacles at the end weren't pretty. I don't know if Bobby's legs just went out on him or what ...trust me, he usually can make an uncontested dunk. It might not have been quite so bad if he hadn't hung on the rim and drawn the T. Hagy's was funny ... he was even laughing at himself. But I'll give Kevin props, he gave WB some good minutes I thought. For his size, he does a great job of rebounding and defending bigger players.

See you next week I hope.

GovMan

P.S. Maryville Reb, I love you too. I just like to have fun on here. Never take me too serious.