Portland's (John Ferguson)

bigAsports

Congrats to the 8AA tourney MVP

What does it take for colleges to recruit this guy? He has so much to offer schools but from what I understand nobody is even really giving him a look. 6"7, great postplayer and good grades to boot. Teams are really going to hate they didn't come after this guy. John hang in there all of your hard work won't go unnoticed.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferguson is a class act all the way. Has gotten better every year. I was thrilled to see him get the tourney MVP.

As for why schools aren't looking at him, well, he's about 6-5 instead of 6-7. Brewer is a legitimate 6-7. Ferguson will have to play NAIA ball at the next level becuase he's just too undersized to play OVC or SEC ball.

He will make some small college a great power forward though. He can step out and shoot the three. Can even take other big buys off the dribble.

I hope he gets a shot at playing in a state tourney this year. That kid truly deserves it.

How is Brewer a legit 6'7" and Ferguson a 6'5", yet when standing side by side, Ferguson is taller than Brewer? I've watched them play three times and all three times Feguson looked taller than Brewer. Platform basketball shoes?

I know programs get a little generous with height and weight, and I did recently have PRK eye surgery. However, I think Ferguson is still taller than Brewer.

As for the future, I think Ferguson would fit to many small DI or DII programs. He has the skills and seems to be getting better each game.

I have put words in at many small D-1 schools for John, but a lot of them have heard he wasn't 100 percent interested in playing college basketball. Something about he would only play if his dad made him, etc. I don't know the true facts, but I know that's why at least 1 OVC school and one Top 25 Division 2 school is staying away. They are scared he won't give 100%. The talent is there! He's tough and could make a great college basketball player. I agree with Ladd. I feel Belmont would be a great fit for him. Allows him to stay close to home, receive a good education, and play basketball all at the same time.

I have seen this kid play four times, and have been more impressed with him each time. He would definitely be a good fit for a mid major college. On the issue of whether he is 6'5" or 6'7" , give me a 6'5" player that can play over a taller player that I hope will come around one day. He has already got good footwork and post moves and could play as a freshman. After seeing Portlands' performance this weekend, my only question would be how in the world did they come in 5th place regular season. I saw some players other than Brewer and Ferguson play some real good ball for Portland.

I don't know here a rumor that John did not want to play college ball came from. That is absurd and ridiculous! John most definitely wants wants to play college basketball. All of the smaller DI schools such as the Belmont's and Lipscomb's are missing out on one of the top post players in the state. And yes he is a legit 6'7" with an even longer wingspan.

Guest CoachLEH

Guys, we have been playing this kid for 4 years now, He is a legitimate 6'7", but he plays bigger because of his Great hands, super touch with the basketball, and a mean drop step. Did I mention his Great Hands! John is comfortable shooting from the freethrow line in. He has caused us more problems than Brewer ever has. Brewer is a great player, but John has been the heart of Portland's team.

Someone will get very lucky with John. BTW, his dad does NOT make him play. That's just talk from someone with sour grapes.

I have been around John since his freshman year. He deffinitly wants to play college ball. I have seen him play against D-1 comp and take it to 6"10 guys. He is a small D-1 player. You college coaches need to go see this kid, and call his coach and get some film. And yes he is all of 6"7.

[Edited by bigAsports on 3-3-03 2:30P]

I'm not trying to start rumors here! I know how good John is, and I HOPE he continues his basketball playing days after high school. I'm just telling what I have heard from more than one reliable source. It may not be any truth at all to it, but I have heard from two college coaches. Take it for what it's worth! Good luck Portland in the regions. I will be cheering for you all!