Jerry Meyer (fired) at MBA

bigAsports

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry but I disagree completely. I would not allow my dog to play for Jerry Meyer. He is abusive to his players. His language is obscene. His behavior is immature.

I usually adhere to the "if you cannot say something nice" theory but Jerry is an exception.

High school sports and MBA in particularly are better off without Jerry around.

It is a sad day in high school sports when the players have more influence over coaching decisions than the coach. Jerry is an outstanding coach and he will be missed at MBA. For some reason kids and their parents today have trouble dealing with someone who has a hardnose attitude but is fair. Every parent has the next super star. News flash, not every kid is going to be a super star. Some may need to be the role player. Role players are often than not the best leaders and role models for those to follow.

Jerry wanted kids to play for him that basketball was not their THIRD choice. He got two big money guys mad at him and VOILA!, he`s out. Don`t ever forget MONEY talks at MBA.

Ricky Bowers had more experience at dealing with "affluent parents"and their children`s needs.

Coach meyer isn't abusive. he simly expects his players to play hard all the time and will settle for nothing less. i used to run with him at the y before he coached at mba, and he coached me there too, as well as in one on one workouts. he might swear, or yell, or get personal, but he is just trying to motivate. i think he got screwed. the players he had to work with are just not good. they are small, weak, and soft. they don't know how to really work and sacrifice, and some daddies got angry that their little johnny wasn't getting to play, so they started making phone calls, which is the main reason their kids are so lame, everytime something goes wrong, dad comes running. coach meyer was the best basketball coach i ever had, and i've had several good ones. he is firm, but he teaches you how to win. my class one two state titles with him on the staff, and we all liked him a lot. i feel sorry for whoever takes his place, cause they're gonna have to deal with the same pansies that meyer did, and they're not gonna like it.

Ruppsrunt... What did you mean by that comment. I hope it was meant in a good way because his father is one of the best coaches in the game. I have not seen Jerry's teams play but I have seen Jerry work at the game and instruct at the one on one level. He is a master of the little things. I cannot speak concerning how he handles parents but give a parent a dollar and they think they have the power (and maybe at a private school like MBA that is the case). Jerry Meyer will land on his feet. My sympathy goes to all the young players that will someday be at MBA and will not be coached by Jerry Meyer!!!

I disagree with you BigHurt. Sometime honesty hurts. In my opinion, Jerry was being honest with players and was trying to build character. I have a hard time believing that he was bashing, abusing, and swearing at his players. Athletics in high school is alot different than rec and church leagues. Sometimes you don't get to play or hear that you are the next great player. He is a dicisiplined coach and he wanted his team to reflect his philosophy. Not everyone is going to agree with his philosophy, but his character should not be tarnished because of a few to many loses and disagreement with parents on who should and shouldn't be playing.