soccer on game fields

thebiggcat

chskicker--

The reason we don't have soccer is that there is NO INTEREST in soccer. If we had kids that wanted to play soccer, they would have said so and we'd probably have some sort of team by now.

As for the "7 people live there" comment---touche.

[Edited by bigwes68 on 3-25-03 2:22P]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone in this discussion acts like this is one of the great crisis facing America today. The fact is, if it is a public school, then everyone in the county/city owns it. Yes, even soccer players. Their parents pay the same taxes as does everyone else. They have as much right as anyone to use the fields. Don't give me the we worked hard and improved it line either. Have you ever heard of eminent domain? It belongs to the entire system no matter what.

[Edited by st409 on 3-25-03 7:30P]

[Edited by st409 on 3-26-03 9:12A]

First of all, let me say that I played soccer in high school, and now I'm the starting kicker for my college.

Since I played both sports, I have a view on both sides of this argument. Even though I understand the football argument, you have to admit that soccer does very little damage to the field. In fact when I played in high school, we played our games on the football field, and the field was fine. Soccer does much less damage to a field than football does. It in no way does any amount of damage that cannot be fixed in the offseason.

As for soccer players being communists... first, learn to spell. Second, soccer originated in England, not the former communist state of the USSR, so soccer players cannot be communists. They should be monarchists.

What I am saying theman06 is that is isn't YOUR field. Everyone in the system pays for it by way of their taxes. It belongs to the soccer players as much as it does to the football team. Why can't you understand that you alone didn't pay for it, and if you helped make improvements that was just a contribution to system owned property?

[Edited by st409 on 3-26-03 9:16A]

i hate to say it because i support soccer teams in these cases but it is their field. the games they play pays for it. 9 times out of 10 football coaches and other football boosters do the work to maintain the field. it is the football team's field you will never hear it refered to as the athletic field. if it wasn't the field goal posts would be removed when their season is over.

4AFAN @ hornet

you guys are both misinformed the little guys do not play on our field. we do let the super midgets play on it 2 sat. out of each year as does every high school that has a feeder program we all share the ware and tear.Helton did not let the boys play and not the girls. He was the boys coach thats why he built the field at gresham.which was a very good field but with no maint. it's not good now but could be the base is there.little guys do practice there but that is greshams decision it can be stopped at any time by the principle.no matter what you say it's not fair.if the bill is split in 3rds and the time also we won't gripe thats all we are asking for.little soccer kid on here have you ever done anything to help if so, what, be honest. you guys did not even show up last year on clean up day but the girls did that at least. :confused:

I understand the football coach recieves a supplement to maintain the game field, I was not aware it was a football field only. Maybe if the soccer coach got the supplement he or she would maintain the field. Will the football team have a spring game on the field or will it be left to mature for next fall?

Does the volleyball team have to supplement the maintanence for the gym floor?

When are we going to get a soccer practice field at Central.

I would like to no where coach's get a supplement to maintain thier game fields. I am sure that some places do, but Macon county does not. We do not have soccer at the high school level but it is coming. Our county can not give us money for even a single load of sand to help with the bermuda. Our program and boosters completely take care of the field. So when the day comes, soccer should either provide half the money and half the labor or stay off OUR field. :rolleyes:

Football in most cases is the only sport in school that brings in money (Basketball not included). Football programs pay for the sprinkler systems, the stadium, and overall maintainence of the fields. Soccer is 99 percent of the cases could not survive without support from football programs. It all comes down to money. Football pays, soccer doesn't. Soccer is also hard on a football field. Football fields trouble spots are only between the hashes. Football also only plays five games on the field. Soccer is a lot harder on the overall field. Honestly, Schools should have two seperate fields, but if they cannot... the program who contributes the most in time, money and effort should dictate what happens to the field.

Guest 1uk1vol

First of all my position on soccer is I wish it had stayed a third world sport. However it is here and we must go from that. Soccer needs to carry some of the load wether its the money or the upkeep. We must remember that the football field does not belong to the football team it belongs to the school, tax payers and as far as we know MOST of the parents of soccer players pay them also. This is where a strong administrator must earn his money. Make sure that each are doing their part. Kids love sports let them play!!!!!