Coach In Trouble

sinjin

Coach SH, watch what you say. A betting coach will get fired also.....lol.....that has got to be the most idiotic way to lose a job. As coaches, we must throw away the motovational techniques out the window and pick-up a Business Law book to know the legal ramifications of an innocent gesture. In today's world, it's all about what you say and nothing to do with the type of person you are. Sleeze-balls can outwit the system as long as they don't "SAY" anything out of the context of the by-laws. There's no wonder why PAXIL, LORTABS, & XANAX are being prescribed at alarming rates, to deal with this MESS!!!! ;)

I knew a coach that would buy his players cheesburgers for every charge they took. I'm not sure what the rule would be on that but I think its good that a coach would use a strategy like that to motivate his kids to take charges. Every kid wants money or something so by taking charges it allows the kid to buy into the system and what the coach wants done.

In my opionion thats a horrible call by the conference leaders of that high school district.

On your comment of thinking it's a bad idea......Kids are little human beings like us adults. And why do you think productive adults in society WORK? To earn money and make a living. The motivational force for us going to work each day is providing for ourselves or, if you have one, your family. Sometimes you must show players the NEED to do better in a particular area and how important it is that they acheive a certain goal. That is why some jobs offer BONUSES if they acheive a certain goal within a specified period. His motivation to his kids was $1 per charge. Others use other tactics. All bring the same results. It's just finding what will work for the group of players a coach has.

[Edited by Stokomo on 3-26-03 6:54A]

I wanted to read a few of your thoughts before I posted mine on this article. I agree with the reward system but coaches have to think inside the guidelines. Example: Make players run for giving up too many offensive boards and take away a few sprints during conditioning for taking charges.

There has to be consequences for not doing the little things and rewards for doing the little things.