William Blount

CoachDG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree totally with BillBlunt. There needs to come a town when the school board stops looking at themselves and look to the students needs. There is no reason that William Blount and Heritage does not have a state championship team in any sport. Its time for the board to start paying the coaches more like Maryville and Alcoa does. They take their academics and athletics seriously and look what happens. I am not saying William Blount and Heritage do not because they do but they just can not keep the good coaches there for long. Coach McMahan left Heritage along time ago for lack of support. Coach Reid left William Blount this year for higher pay, booster club problems, and lack of support. There is no reason William Blount and Heritage should take backseats to Oak Ridge, Dobyns-Bennett, Farragut, or anybody for that matter. If the board would step up and get serious about athletics Blount County, which is already one of the best counties in the state athletically, could be the best.

I am a firm believer that athletics mirror the classroom. Is Blount County that far behind there as well? Facilities are much more than adequate. Unfortunately, the Walland, Porter, & Everett successes just seemed to vanish when they poured them all into "the big school."

There have been a couple of good football coaches come back through the county in the last couple of years, but both left for the opportunity to leave (Reid & Wilson).

While it would be nice to win, it is just not important enough for the communities for the county schools to win. For Maryville, I'll hate red & black forever, but success & image is important to them.

Just look at how they've handled bad situations. One gets rid of an administrator in a bad situation, the other lets a much worst situation go on his way & foots the bill for it. I respect how Maryville's was handled, I have none for the later and still listen to people snicker about it.

If the Superintendent, school boards, & communities don't support & require success, this is what they will get- in the class room & on the field.

The county commission has as much blame in this as the inept school board does. When someone mentions a tax increase everyone freezes. Then you hear people complaining about a nickel or two tax increase. Some of the increases would be as small as a quarter a day. I guess that means 2 less ciggies to smoke.

The saddest story is that some of these people complaining have kids or grandkids in the school system. That's what I call really supporting kids. How idiotic can people be. If someone's property taxes increase $300.00 dollars a year that's less than a dollar a day. In some people's language that's half a beer or a third of a pack of ciggies. It's laughable, but more importantly sad for these kids.

I was raised in the W.B. school district and just built a new home in south Blount county. I have 3 young children and one attending one of the elementary schools in the county. My wife went to Maryville schools and has long wanted our kids to do the same. But because of my hard-headedness and my hated or jealousy of Alcoa and Maryville schools, I would not hear of my kids attending anywhere else but Blount county schools. However, I have come to the realization that I am not going to allow my hard-headedness interfere with what's best for my kids. In other words, unless I see a real turn around, an end to the political axe grinding, and education put on the front burner, then I will do what's necessary for the betterment of my kids. If that means paying tuition or moving to Alcoa or Maryville, then I will do whatever becomes necessary to give my kids the best opportunity I can afford them.

So the ball is in the court of the politics of Blount county. I don't have a very good feeling about anything being changed for the better in the near future, or as history has shown us, the distant future. I guess I now understand why our sheriff sends his kids to Maryville schools.

[Edited by BillBlunt on 4-10-03 3:19P]

William Blount is putting together a top notch, quality "search committee" which I understand will include the A.D., the Principal, a school board member, a faculty representative, and a "football parent" representative. I know the names that have been considered for the three final spots but I do not believe they're official yet so I won't name them.

But I feel very, very good about this committee. First and foremost, I put 100% of my confidence behind W.B. AD Don Moore, Jr. It is my hope that he will have the "loudest voice" among the committee.

I'm more excited about this particular window of opportunity for William Blount football than I have been in a long, long time. I'm thinking we might 'finally' get the right coach for what I think is a sleeping giant.

GovMan

I truly think William Blount is a sleeping giant. I think WB can bust through and be a dominant team year in a year out, but one huge problem that I noticed when I went there was the talent that wasn't playing football. Even when Coach Reid and Coach Mac encouraged kids to come out there were still many that could have been awesome that never decided to come out. Some of the kids that don't play have a bad family situation in which they would HAVE to work instead of playing football. I noticed that when I played. That is why I think there is a difference between WB and Maryville. Alot of kids at WB come from a different home life and aren't encouraged AS MUCH to participate in athletics. I would know I went to Maryville Middle and then played at WB and I've spent time with both kids.

TNboy, I agree with what you just said about WB, and like I have posted several times before, if Heritage could get all the talent out on the field, we can be highly competitive also. There are kids walking HHS's halls that are huge and athletic. If we could stop some of our players from going to Maryville, get the kids who are in the halls out, and combine them with the ones that we already have, there could be 4 teams in Blount County who are competitive year in and year out instead of every few years.

Is it true what I have heard, that Scott Smith from Ezell-Harding has put in for the head coching job at William Blount? I've heard he is excited about the possibility of living in West Tennessee? Does anyone think he has a chance of getting the job? Would William Blount ever hire anyone that throws the ball the majority of the time?