Brentwood Academy and Father Ryan tie, 3-3

WesVLT

In a fabulous softball game, Brentwood Academy and Father Ryan played to a 3-3 tie that was called (prematurely, I might add) after 7 innings due to darkness. BA led 2-0 in the top of the 7th, but Ryan put together a rally and took a 3-2 lead. The Eagles fought back, though, using an infield hit by Jessica Lundy to tie the game. Brentwood Academy is no slouch this year.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan got a couple infield hits and played smallball to get their runs in. Katherine Harrison was not very dominant from what I saw, though I was not there for the whole game. She only got 1 strikeout in the 3 innings that I saw.

Yeah, lights would have been REAL nice!

Guest sportsfan10

WesVols with almost 1200 posts on this site, you're an expert, tell me if a team hits a three run homer and another team scores three "smallball" runs, what's the final score? I'm from Woodbine and where I went to school, the final score would be 3-3. What's your answer?

Your point? I wasn't demeaning Father Ryan by saying that they played smallball, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I was telling the story of the game. "Smallball" is defined as the art of methodically moving baserunners along the basepath using strategic tactics. Simply put, it takes just as much talent to execute sac bunts and steals as it does to hit a homer. Thus, my report that Ryan used smallball to take the lead was nothing more than a summary of how the events unfolded.

You're right, I have a lot of posts on this site. And you'll find that there's a reason for that -- I'm not disrespectful towards any team or player. Thanks for the response, though.

After having to endure the sensitive nature of those on the v-ball and b-ball boards, I fully expect to handle myself well here all the way to chataHOOCHIE (and yes I partied A LOT in college). Wes Vols hit a sensitive spot with his analysis. He's probably right however....I saw the lady Irish a lot last season (including Chatta), and they grind and fight for what they can get. No reason for anyone to get too upset about the use of "smallball" or even "rudolph the red nose" (don't ask I could not explain). BA is an awesome program. If they beat FRHS they probably deserve to do so. Likewise, FRHSRULES. This year however, state may go to the "HOOCHIES"...ie GPS or B-girls.....enjoy the HOOCH.....Go FRHS and BA....improve and take it to everyone down south in May!!!!

It's a great talent for someone to be able to smash the ball for multibase hits when they come to the plate especially 4 to 6 times out of 10. Baserunners do not have to think very much under such a barrage of balls being hit across or even out of the field of play.

Bunts, slaps, drag bunts and fake bunt hit aways are whole team executions that are much more difficult to employ. You are not just relying on the execution at the plate but also on the runners, depending on which base they are on, to read the bunt, the fielder, the throw, the next base coverage and the play after the play. With multi runners it even gets more complex. Small ball relies much more on the ability of the team as a whole to execute than the big hit. It takes a team with utmost discipline to accomplish it. A team with this weapon in their arsenal can easily switch to plan B if the long ball is not working and take a team out of their game. I'm a strong believer in having every weapon available at your finger tips when gone to war. You are never sure what is going to work so when it's not, you have a contingency.

Any coaching staff with a good small ball plan in their pocket is a staff that gives their team every opportunity to win. It's a magnificent thing to watch when done right. :D