Soccer on Football fields III

JKerrBdaMan

Again, soccer has struck football.

Carter played at Alcoa today in the pouring rain, and surely that cannot be good for any football field. Now, Alcoa's athletic dept. may have given this their blessings, but I am sure glad this did not happen at my community school.

When will the sport of soccer start creating their own facility and stop ruining what football programs and boosters take years to cultivate? By the way, most sports do not start at the top of the ladder, they must work themselves up to where they can.

Get a clue soccer. :):):x

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern about Soccer Fields are what schools have room and can afford to maintain both a footbal game field, a soccer game field, football practice field, baseball field, softball field and track fields. it becomes quite expensive. Know i'm not the biggest soccer fan, infact soccer is my least favorite sport, but I can't justify kicking them to the curb all together. They work hard and they should be able to play.

Another thing if we tick off all the soccer players who's going to kick the PATs & Field Goals? :)

Guest blue1

I agree that soccer programs should participate in the maintenance of the field they play on. I also agree that many football coaches have worked hard to have a good surface to paly on and that soccer coaches , parents, and players should contribute to the up keep of the field. What I don't agree with is that it is a football field. It is an athletic field that is owned by the county, city,school system etc... that is for the use of the students of that school. Football, soccer, lacrosse, band, P.E. should be allowed to use the field because the field is for student use. If football coaches are upset because they work on the field and other programs in the school are using the field then they should give up the money they are PAID to maintain the field to someone else soccer coach, the head custodian, or whom ever who want complain about the fact that other students in the school or school system are using a facility that paid for by their parents tax dollars. Just because you get paid to mow the field doesn't mean you own it. On the other hand soccer coaches get off your butts and contribute to the maintenace of the field. If you can't do it financially do it through labor on the field. Don't just show up and expect to have a nice field to play on.

Several of the opinions on this thread have no backing. In no way has soccer started at the top! Soccer, by far, is the least supported sport by most schools. It is usually the parents that put up their own money to support the programs. Also, soccer games are a lot easier on a surface than football. Football games take place in the center of the field where linemen are 'digging in' and it takes a toll on the surface. If you look at a soccer game you have 20 field players that are spread out over the entire field. Common Sense would tell you that most soccer games do very little damage to a field.

I agree about playing in a mud pit. Obviously that game should have been postponed, but you can't tell me that football would have been cancelled under the same conditions.

when are people going to realize that soccer is played in all weather but lightning. if there is 3 inches of standing water play anyway we did against riverdale in 2000. if they tear the field up then they tear the field up. no one would cancel a football game for rain because that's pointless same with soccer nor would anyone be mad if that game tears the field up. i'm sorry but if the soccer team has rights to the field and you don't like it help them find a field because i'm sure they would like to have their own field and a big enough field unlike a football field that is so narrow and the football team would also love to be rid of soccer.

Hey listen up, the reason that the middle of the fields is because of football players tearing it up. Come on man, think about it, most of the damage is done between the hash marks, precicesly where the big ugly linemen do their work in the football season. Soccer teams play in all types of weather except lightning, so don't think we soccer players are gonna want to call our game, just because of some cryin football players.

morristown west in a way posponed their playoff game w/greenville last season. Their field is awful anyways, but the rain didnt help much. They moved their game to saturday at sevier county. You think soccer on football fields are bad, think about what Mo East and West do. There is at least 3 games on their football field a week. Poor guys :)

My high school didn't have soccer when I was there and I didn't see my first live soccer match until I went to college in 92. My first impression was what a stupid sport and my impression hasn't changed much since. All these guys kicking a ball around a 120 yard field hoping to kick it into a goal maybe once or twice a game. How boring. I guess I agree with one of the previous posts that stated if it weren't for soccer we wouldn't have FG kickers. Soccer needs to find there own regualation field or get rid of the sport.

In almost all cases the 'football' field is the athletic field for the school and that includes soccer! All too often the girls soccer teams are relegated to a pasture in the fall since the football coaches will not let the girls soccer teams touch their hallowed ground. talk about gender inequity! It's time for the school boards to adequately fund soccer - give us our own fields! Football and baseball generally have premier facilities - but soccer is treated as an afterthought. However, given the financial condition of most locales - a seperate field is out of the question - so soccer will continue to play on the 'athletic' field AND if the girls soccer teams are still prohibited from using the 'athletic' field - they should sue to use it!!!!!!! :D:D:D