WHAT ARE THE BEST RIVALIES IN TN?

WarriorFan

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon, Maryville leads the all time series 50-21-3. Maryville has dominated Alcoa. A lot of those games were close though.Maryville won a lot of those games because they were much deeper.Alcoa would be wore down in the second half.Alcoa would have 40 players and Maryville would have 80 players. Alcoa always has great athletes.They always have speed. Both teams have won a lot of state titles.

Alcoa has won titles in 1977,78,79,89 and 2000. They were state runner up in 1988. They will be hard to handle the next few years. Their upcoming sophomore class is special.Dustin Lindsey is an upcoming star.They will dominate 2A in 2004 and 2005.

Maryville has won titles in 1970,76,78,98,2000,2001 and 2002. They were state runner up in 1977,79 and 1997.Only Brentwood Academy has more titles than Maryville.Maryville has a great coaching staff. As long as that staff stays intact Maryville will keep on winning.

Maryville and Alcoa have a lot of respect for each other.

Other big rivalry games I watched were

William Blount vs Maryville

Heritage vs Maryville

Heritage vs William Blount

Seymour vs Gatlinburg Pittman

Knox Central vs Knox Halls

White House vs Portland

A lot of people may wonder why I put down William Blount and Heritage as rivals? Both those teams have beat Maryville in the last few years. It means a lot for those schools to beat Maryville. Those 2 schools along with Alcoa would rather beat Maryville than anybody.

William Blount has some talent. All their kids hit the weights hard. They play hard also.Besides Central and Hillsboro, William Blount gave Maryville their toughest game of the year. Their defense was very tough.

As CoachDG said, If the best athletes at Heritage would go out for football they would be hard to handle. I know too many kids that went to school there that could have been studs on the football field but chose not to play football.

It doesn't get much bigger than a DB vs. Oak Ridge game. This game is absolutely nuts every year, and they always meet again in the playoffs. The biggest games I remember from my days as an Indian were always against Oak Ridge. DB and Sevier County have also had some classics. At least on the east side of the state, I think DB-Oak Ridge and Maryville-Alcoa are bvy far the biggest rivalries there are.

Well going back about ten years, BA vs. Lipscomb and Goodpasture was the big rivalry. That was when the state was only divided into A, AA, and AAA. To make things even more heated only two teams made it to the playoffs from each region. Since BA never lost a regional game until the public private split, that left Lipscomb and Goodpasture to duke it out for the final playoff spot. There was never much love loss between the three schools.