Private vs Public

stoneloco

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should someone like Lighthouse Christian move up to 2A when they can't compete in 1A, and they'd still be playing Ezell-Harding and that group in Nashville? A split would give Lighthouse and others like it a chance to play on an equal level. A split would also stop St. Andrew's Sewanee from having to go to Memphis for games. I've mentioned that several times but few want to mention it. Isn't that a good thing, combined with better travel and distance for nearly every other team as well. No private school would have regular season games further than what a team like Grundy plays in football (Sequoyah, Walker Valley and McMinn Central). If they have to do it one or two times a season, why would trips from Knoxville to Chattanooga or Jackson to Memphis be so terrible?

The big question is why should only private schools be split or multiplied.

The concept for the miltipler is equal participation. Private schools traditionally have 60+% of its students that participate in sports. The number for public schools is a little over 20%. There are very few exceptions to these numbers in the state and nationwide.

A 200 enrollment private school conservately has 100 sports participants. A 200 pubilc school has 50. In his case a 2.0 multiplier (and it is conservative) on the private school with 200 students would bring their enrollment to 400 and play against public schools with an enrollment of 400-- different enrollments, same sports participation.

[Edited by yellowdog on 4-12-03 12:38P]

I have a question to all the private supporters...Do you believe that the system that is in place today is a good one..

Well i know that i am a split supporter on this matter and alot of people seem to agree with me and most all people on here believe that something should be done...So why dont they try the split or try something instead of talking about what would be better want dont they just try and see if it is...I mean it isnt permant they couls always go back and change it back to the way that it is..Let other people complian for awhile.

Also if anyone knows anything about computes could you please let me know..I and robjim have thought of a plan for the split and it is on word and wont copy and paste to this because it contains lines for the bracket..I could really use some help ...ive been trying to put this on here for awhile now..PLEASE HELP!!

With a 3 class football Division II of all private schools, they wouldn't be playing the current 1A powerhouses out of Nashville. So it is good their budget is strained with them going to Memphis (and the Memphis teams going there)? I thought budget and travel were reasons why the current Division I private schools didn't want a total split (a false notion with all the teams in the division). As long as it's not their school, right?

You are looking at it in terms of if there is a split. But there is not a split right now, so under the current circumstances it is better that they play D2-A teams then the single A privates because there is this thing called FINANCIAL AIDE. If SAS stops giving financial aide, than they could stop going to Memphis. I don't know how many times they go to Memphis, but there is Bishop Byrne, FACS, and SBEC I believe? So that is once a year and then twice a year sometimes? D2-AAA schools do that as well (CBHS and MUS then having to play a single D2-AA school each year).

Of course SAS does not want to go to Memphis in the regular season---we leave at 11am on Friday, eat a sandwich and play at 7:30---then get some pizza and get back on the bus and go home, arriving at 4am or later.

The seniors had SAT's the next day once last year.

I understand the situation like we are trying to ride this out ----that DII will grow and this sort of trip (2 times a year, and 2 Memphis teams come to Sewanee) will not be required. I just hope the split happens and these next two years --though it wont include me----will be the last time sas has to go to Memphis for a regular season game.

Next year we are playing some Chattanooga teams- Silverdale, Temple, Brainerd Christian-- that hopefully will be part of DII in the next years.

[Edited by MountainLion on 4-12-03 7:22P]