Tssaa Question?

I have a question, if anyone can help SOON it would be great!

If someone played basketball at private school but didn't try-out their senior year or do spring practice, can they leave that private school and transfer to a public school in that same county without sitting out a year?

PLEASE HELP, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! B)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer... NO. If you transfer to another school in the same county (district) without a change of address that facilitates the change, and you have an athletic record, you will not be eligible unless you get a hardship waiver from the Director of the TSSAA.

You had better find out before you transfer! The real question is WHY? If the TSSAA thinks you are moving to play a sport at another school, you won't get the hardship or transfer approved. It has to be a legal reason... possibly a financial one? Change of address, change of legal guardianship, etc. Look at what happened to the athletes who were attending Clarksville Academy when they dropped football this past summer. It would be much easier if your parents were taking you out of town to another school in another school zone..

well it's not me, its for a friend. I was just wondering b/c her team is not good at all, so she didn't even try out. She wants to go to a public school in the same county, and play w/o sitting out. although she will still come and if she has to sit out then just play districts and regions. sicne her season ended feb21 and the other school didn't start districts till feb24 she would be eligible then. So, what exactly do u think she could possibly do? Thanks for the info. i will research this!!!

The TSSAA is very unfair on this issue. If you go to a public school you can move out of your zone into a different school zone and play right away. If you go to a private school the "zone" is greatly expanded. For example, if you attended Ryan, you could not move to the Franklin area and play for BGA or Franklin High without sitting out a year. You could move to Spring Hill or Hendersonville and play without a year penality.