Steve McNair

Steve McNair's DUI arrest has stirred a plethora of discussion in the Middle Tennessee area. While I am extremely disappointed in the Titans QB's actions, however, I wish the media would calm down just a bit and let the proceedings, well, proceed. I fully realize that their job is to cover the big stories, but I hope they maintain a sense of decency and allow Steve some amount of privacy. Thoughts?

Steve McNair's DUI arrest has stirred a plethora of discussion in the Middle Tennessee area. While I am extremely disappointed in the Titans QB's actions, however, I wish the media would calm down just a bit and let the proceedings, well, proceed. I fully realize that their job is to cover the big stories, but I hope they maintain a sense of decency and allow Steve some amount of privacy. Thoughts?

Did I hear he got pulled over at 0.18?

That's...umm...extremely, extremely high.

Don't forget the Gun Possession Charge. :D

ESPN Reports:

He failed a field sobriety test and a blood-alcohol test produced a reading of 0.18 -- well above Tennessee's level of presumed intoxication of 0.10. He was released on $3,000 bond after appearing in night court and is due back in court June 26.

ESPN.com Article - Quarterback facing drunken driving, gun charges

Even though I am extremely dissappointed with Steve, I think he knows he made a mistake and won't make it again. I've got a question though. If you got paid the money he did wouldn't you have a chofuer? I don't know if I spelled that right but I know I would have one. :D

Don't forget the Gun Possession Charge. :D

ESPN Reports:

He failed a field sobriety test and a blood-alcohol test produced a reading of 0.18 -- well above Tennessee's level of presumed intoxication of 0.10. He was released on $3,000 bond after appearing in night court and is due back in court June 26.

ESPN.com Article - Quarterback facing drunken driving, gun charges

I know the Gun charge is a must when arrested under DUI but it would be a lot worse if he didn't have a Permit to carry the gun! :D

I agree with you that he should could have his own driver. i think if any pro athlete is gonn go out and drink, then they should hire somebody to drive them. that way, all kinds of mess like this wont happen. i do think that the media did do a lil too much. i know he is a star and everything, but tons of peopl get stopped with a DUI, and the news dont blow it up. i know with him being a star he is put in the spot light, but dont agree with that. i think just because he is famous, he is entitled to his privacy

I agree with you that he should could have his own driver. i think if any pro athlete is gonn go out and drink, then they should hire somebody to drive them. that way, all kinds of mess like this wont happen. i do think that the media did do a lil too much. i know he is a star and everything, but tons of peopl get stopped with a DUI, and the news dont blow it up. i know with him being a star he is put in the spot light, but dont agree with that. i think just because he is famous, he is entitled to his privacy

Sorry, but being in the limelight is part of the price you pay to be a pro athlete. And if he doesn't want to pay that price, nobody's forcing him to keep playing football. He can go home and have as private a life as he wants. But if he keeps himself in the limelight, he should know any crimes he commits will be reported worldwide. I'm not saying he doesn't have any right to privacy, but by pursuing the line of work he has pursued, he's given up the right to complain about attention to crimes he's committed.

And, FWIW, he'll probably get less punishment for the DUI and weapons charge than you or I would.

Go ask every person that has lost a family member or a friend to a drunk driver if they would feel better because it was a drunk celebrity that killed them...I think you'll find the answer to be a resounding NO...

I don't see very many celebrities complaining when the media covers their contract signings...seems to be ok for the media to report that so and so was paid millions of dollars...take the money...take what comes with it...

Oh, dont get me wrong, i know he was wrong, and i know that being a star he is gonna have anyhthing bad put out in the limelight, but i dont agree with it. why should he have to give up his privacy b/c he is a star. he is just as much human as me or u, but i could get a dui and no1 care. and i know that families wouldnt care if a family member was killed by a celebrity or not. i didnt say anything that had to do with that.

my big thing is, and it always has been, i hate it that just because a person is a star, their personal life is blasted over the news. when stever mcnair signed his contract, he wasnt signing away his privacy and personal life

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that signing that contract, does, in some ways sign away your privacy. Because he knew that being the star he is that kids and fans alike would put him on a pedestal and watch, if not mirror every move he makes. He knew what would happen if he messed up and it did, and to be honest I never heard him complain about the blasting he recieved from the media.