History Made at TSSAA Spring Fling!

RHSfan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Takedown 3, The only thing I want is the private schools moved up to their level of competion. Where the top 5 public schools are just as good as the top 5 privates. Not where the top 5 privates are better than the #1 public,much less the next four. To be honest I do want all of the schools playing together. I don,t think this will happen because 2a and 3a don,t want the privates, and the bigger schools don,t want the other privates back. In my opinion I think the place for the 1a privates is 3a,but I,m not the boss.

Edited by pujo

Indian, you didn't read my post right cus I didn't say that. I said the problem is a turnstile count. Get more kids to participate and play sports and then you will have a better chance to be successful. 30 kids on a football team can never compare against 55 (who might go to a private school). Unless you are talking about Barton, Arkansas who many times would whip any team in the state with about 20 tough as nails country boys (my cousin played for them...50 game win streak at one point...played 3A with an A enrollment) anyway...

My junior and senior year we were ORDERED by the TSSAA to play Brentwood Academy and MUS. BA had 97 kids and MUS had 86...we had 52. We were playing even with them and down both games 14-0 at half only to get blown out...they had better numbers and kept bringing guys in fresh. Numbers is very important in basketball and even baseball and softball (pitchers). Get more kids to turn out...I'm not saying the Rockwood kids should work harder, they should be commended...instead I am saying that coaches, athletes, and community should encourage kids to play sports.

There is much pressure for kids in the city of Memphis to play sports. Their parents want them to, their friends want them to, and it is fun. So why not play? My brother still plays AAU basketball even though he is 16...he has fun doing it even though none of his school friends or even kids that go to private schools play on his team...

Ego,

One thing that you may not realize is that in most single A publics, all the athletes are playing. There are so few really good athletes in the small publics that most of them are 3 sport players. I don't think you have a lot of that in the privates. It is very difficult for an athlete to become really good in any sport when they are stretched so thinly over 3 sports. Very few good athletes specialize in one sport because there are not enough athletes in the small public schools to support 3 sports. It's not just the matter of convincing more students to participate in athletics, there generally are no more athletes to get. In small towns, even the summer rec programs have problems fielding enough teams to qualify for leagues. In some small towns, there just isn't enough athletes to build a bigger program. (This may not be the case in basketball, but it is in baseball and football)

RHSfan

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think it matters how large the private schools are when the are lumped together? I was just wondering but here are some interesting facts about some of the better DII teams in baseball.

CBHS: 860 (all men)

McCallie: 875 (all men)

Baylor: 665 (coed)

Webb: 400 (coed)

Not sure what that means I just thought it was interesting.

Edited by BriC

closer to 125 per class which would equate to 3A for everything but football which would be AAAA but i imagine if given the chance, they would opt to play AAAAA.

I think if more of the very successful schools public and private would "opt" on their own to play up, we would not be having this debate. After all, why would they not want to play the best competition available?

Why don't Maryville play 5A?

Why don't Ezell, CPA, Boyd, South Pitt. for example play 2 or 3A?