McCallie

PSAFOUR

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wonder how good they're going to be since they were humiliated by Chattanooga Central in a spring scrimmage game. Before anyone says they didn't have Ryan Moore or several other starters, let's realize that Central was playing with their back-up quarterback as well. Central was also missing 5 other starters. So the missing starters issue doesn't come into play here!

• 1 month later...

The spring before the 2001 season, McCallie was completely humiliated by a sub-par East Ridge team. Everybody who follows McCallie football knows what happened during the 2001 season (12-0, state champs). Spring is never really an indicator of an upcoming season at McCallie.

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about McCallie's outlook for the upcoming season, but I can tell you a few observations since I played with some of these guys a few years ago. Coach Potter and the rest of his staff always have the boys ready to play. Ryan Moore has plenty of talent at QB, and when he's at the top of his game, he can easily be one of the better QB's in the state. Chris Johnson is your classic big, strong, high school running back. I'm not too sure who their recievers will be this season, I'd guess that Ryan Murphy will be in the mix there, and he's very solid athlete who'll also be one of their best DB's. The O-Line for the upcoming season reminds me a lot of the line that I played on during the 2001 season. They aren't always the biggest, but they're strong and tough. I swear, a couple of those guys got freakin' huge since their sophomore season though.

Defensively, they graduated several key contributors, but they're still strong. The d-line will be there with several of the offensive linemen playing both ways, the linebackers always seem to be alright, ever since I've been around McCallie, they've seemed to have solid linebackers, and I'm sure there are several in this year's crop. I'm not really sure about the DB's, I know Murphy will play and do well, but other than that, I'm not too sure who all is going to be back there.

Anyway, I went on far longer with this than I intended to. I guess the long and the short of it is, The Blue Tornadoes are usually an underdog, but everybody around McCallie likes it that way. Preseason rankings really don't mean too much, the games are played on the field, not on paper (or on an internet message board for that matter). I just want to wish all of my boys at my alma mater good luck with their upcoming season.

McCallie, Powell, and Gallatin will be the teams at the camp for the entire week.

During the week of camp, Boyd-Buchanan and McMinn County come in for evening scrimmages.

On the scrimmage day (next Wednesday) Hixson and Rhea County have normally come in, also.