Hey Dobyns Bennett fans

REBELRON

MHS scrimmages DB on Aug 15th at Kingsport. I look for a good scrimmage.

I have a few questions.

1. What do you DB fans think of Ted Wilson? I thought he was great. He is the guy who put the Maryville program on the map.MHS field should be named after Ted Wilson instead of Jim Renfro.

2. I got on a LPD board because I work with some guys who went to some of those schools. Those Gate City fans say that DB will not play them. They say the last time DB and Gate City played, GC won 44-14 in 1970. I think Dobyns Bennett should play Gate City every now and then.What do you DB fans think about playing Gate City? Those guys on that board think a game between those 2 teams would draw 15'000 easily.

Edited by REBELRON

REBELRON,

The DB-Maryville scrimmage should definitely be a good one, and hopefully I can make it home to see it. Ted Wilson is very well respected in Kingsport and is actually the music minister at my old church. He did quite a bit for DB football also, and the only reason you might not hear as much about him is because of the program Graham Clark has turned DB into. As for DB and Gate City, I could talk all day about it. We used to scrimmage Gate City every year in the summer until 1998 (could be '99) when they decided not to come back anymore after we embarrased them in Kingsport. They used to play us with Jake Housewright and Chad Beasley (formerly of Va. Tech) and the difference between 5A Tennessee football and A Virginia football became apparent very quickly. (SPEED). There used to be a huge war of words between the two schools about not only the scrimmages but playing a game. I know that their coach was asked by DB to play during the season a couple of years in a row and he wouldn't, but who knows what the deal is now. Anyways, Gate City is a quality SW Virginia football program and a game between the two would probably draw close to 15,000 people I bet. Personally, I would love to have that game played simply because I played at DB and used to hear all of the Gate City people talk about how they would demolish DB. There definitely is a huge rivalry there even thought the two don't play, and if they did then you would see two towns that revolve around high school football go at it.

REBELRON,

The DB-Maryville scrimmage should definitely be a good one, and hopefully I can make it home to see it. Ted Wilson is very well respected in Kingsport and is actually the music minister at my old church. He did quite a bit for DB football also, and the only reason you might not hear as much about him is because of the program Graham Clark has turned DB into. As for DB and Gate City, I could talk all day about it. We used to scrimmage Gate City every year in the summer until 1998 (could be '99) when they decided not to come back anymore after we embarrased them in Kingsport. They used to play us with Jake Housewright and Chad Beasley (formerly of Va. Tech) and the difference between 5A Tennessee football and A Virginia football became apparent very quickly. (SPEED). There used to be a huge war of words between the two schools about not only the scrimmages but playing a game. I know that their coach was asked by DB to play during the season a couple of years in a row and he wouldn't, but who knows what the deal is now. Anyways, Gate City is a quality SW Virginia football program and a game between the two would probably draw close to 15,000 people I bet. Personally, I would love to have that game played simply because I played at DB and used to hear all of the Gate City people talk about how they would demolish DB. There definitely is a huge rivalry there even thought the two don't play, and if they did then you would see two towns that revolve around high school football go at it.

DB needs some non-conference games that will challenge them. they have 7 conf. games, so they need at least 2 quality opponents outside the conf. DB only plays in 3 games in which they will be seriously challenged this yr--jeff co, oak ridge, and sevier co. if they had the potential to be great this yr, the schedule would really hurt them. with DB's strong soph class and several very good jr's, 2004 might just be the yr they bring home the gold ball. but in order to do that they will need to grow each week, which will be hard to do when your playing the same level of competition week after week.

Now JPATS, Bearden says they are going to beat D-B, so that would be a challenge, Science Hill says they are going to beat D-B, so that must be a challenge, and both of the Kingsport area schools - Sullivan North & Sullivan South say they are going to beat D-B, more challenges. You know, it's possible they all (Jeff County, Oak Ridge, and Sevier County included) could beat D-B. It's always a challenge when games are rivalry games and all the above (except for Bearden, but that is a conference game) are big rivalry games for D-B and the other schools. I am a big believer that all games are challenges, the degree of challenge may differ, but the other guy across the line wants to beat D-B more than anyone, period, so the challenge is to be truly prepared to play to the highest level possible, week after week. Coaching obviously comes into play, as does equally, the mental and physical preparation. Define expectations and attempt to reach them...that is success in football, sports, life.

I agree. I wish we had one or two more tough games like Maryville, Knox Central, Riverdale, or McCalliie for example. As for Gate City, they talk........alot. I have seen scrimmages and it is not at all equal. They always want a shot at the big guy. Playing them would draw a crowd, but would not gain experience for DB. But then again playing AAA Sullivan North doesnt either. Gate City has been asked before and rejected.