SUPPLEMENTS- Good? Bad?

BIGMAN72

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some are fine, some aren't. As long as it is a legal supplement, there shouldn't be a problem. Many supplements, such as Creatine, are found naturally in foods that we eat every day.

Before anybody begins using a supplement, however, they should consult a nutritionist.

Yes supplements should be allowed if they are legal and do not put the person using them in danger.Yes I know people say that creatine will dehydrate you,it will only dehydrate you if you are stupid enough to take to much without drinking enough water.It is common sense if you dont drink enough water you are going to get dehydrated anyways.In my opinion you should not take anything with ephdrine or ephdra alkaloids in it.If you want energy there are many many of foods that are packed with energy for example OATMEAL.If you will spend a little time and ask a doctor or get on the computer and do some research you will find there are a whole lot more than just oatmeal.

The thing about supplements is that you got to know what kind to take. Creatine, for example is probably the most widely used kind, however it is effective it is also addictive. It is not addictive in the senxe that you crave it to survive, it is addictive in the sense that you body become used to relying on it and once you stop taking the supplement you have difficulty becoming stronger and being able to sustaion your strength. I have used supplements during high school and have found that your body reacts best and lasts the longest when nothing is used and hard work becomes your supplement.

Creatine: It is quite likely that you cannot rehydrate sufficiently to keep up with the effects of creatine during the hottest parts of summer. You already should be working hard enough to be borderline dehydrated much of the time anyway, particularly in August when you put on helmet and pads. I disagree with the part about being addictive but I preach constantly that you should stay away from creatine in the summer.

Ephedra: Kory Stringer. Devaugh Darling. Rahidi Wheeler. Steve Bechler. Need I say more?

Steroids: Never. I'll not lie and tell you they won't make you bigger and stronger. They will. But they also make you impotent (among many other side effects, most worse than that). If you have to have them to compete, then you don't have what it takes.

Let me offer one big piece of advice (and the health of athletes has been my profession for 26 years): DO NOT GET YOUR SUPPLEMENT ADVICE FROM SOMEONE THAT IS SELLING THEM.

Creatine - Dehydration occurs in people with under 7% bodyfat in extreme conditions if they do not have ample amounts of sodium present (obviously). It's benefits are unequaled throughout the supplement industry, and in correlation with a spike in insulin levels, it is a safe, effective way to make gains in strength and ATP production.

Ephedra - Never liked it, but the rate of serious side effects per year is HIGHER for people who take ASPIRIN that Ephedra.

Steroids - Will shrink your testicles, give some zits and make you stronger...while stunting your growth immediately. The harmful, lazy man's way to go. Too much to talk about with them to go into detail.

Sodium Bicarbonate is a very useful supplement if taken right, as is glutamine without question. Almost ALL "prohormones" are ripoffs, as is anything made by Biotest, KleinBecker, MuscleTech and a host of other companies. There are people who work "in the industry" who will be honest with you.

Bottom line - Most high school athletes, along with middle aged gym schleps, think supplements are something you use that get you to your desired destination. A supplement is just that...a SUPPLEMENT, something taken in correlation with proper nutrition and EATING EFFECIENTLY to provide an environment for positive nitrogen retention and glycogen replacement. People use the wrong attitude when approaching supplementation.

This is what I call a "Zombie Topic" for this message board. Every time you think it's dead, it gets zapped and comes back to life. Rule #1 is to never believe anyone who is trying to sell you something. The biggest fruitcakes you'll ever meet in your life will be at a gym and behind the counter at the healthfood / supplement store. Eventually, if you work out long enough, some little wormy dude will come up to you and proceed to tell you what has made him into the 137 pound monster that he is. Even if your forearm is bigger than his thigh. These guys read all the articles and take half-doses, then dog the supplement if it doesn't make them gain 10 pounds in a week.

Now, down to "binnes"...

Creatine works...Cell Tech works better. Sure, you can buy creatine then buy some Alpha Lipoic Acid, Taurine and mix it with some grape juice and get similar results. It's just easier to pour two scoops of Cell Tech in a glass of water.

Ephedra based products will give you energy, but have a nasty side effect of potentially KILLING YOU. Ephedrine is fine if you are going to lay on the couch and watch TV, but taking it in any dose and exercising is asking for trouble. Theoretically, complex carbs give you energy, but only in the holistic sense. Meaning that it can be burned as fuel...not pick you up. Personally, if i were to eat a big bowl of oatmeal and go to the gym, all I would want to do is take a nap.

Some pro-hormones work, some are probably a sham. I can personally testify to the effectiveness and potency of the VPX pro-hormones. They are high, but you get what you pay for. However, I would not recommend that any teenager take any pro-hormone at any dose. Frankly, you just don't need it and it will screw up your fragile endrocine system at a time when it is doing all it can to transform your body from a boy to a man.

Protein is essential, but we all know that. The problem is getting enough. Whey is the best. You must take care not to try to load up on your protein and take a big amount a couple of times a day. It's a common mistake people make. I tell my son to take about 40 grams as soon as he wakes up and 40 grams just before he goes to bed. During the day, he takes between 100 and 150 grams extra, depending upon whether or not he worked out. He just turned 14 and at 5'9" and 178# he is the strongest boy in his upcoming freshman class. His maxes are 245# bench, 350# squat (which I made him stop trying to max) and 205# power clean. The only supplements he takes are time-release whey protein, Cell-Tech, Myostat, and a multi-vitamin twice a day. The use of pro-hormones is not even an option.

I come to my conclusions about supplement through the time-tested process of trial and error, not by reading an article in Flex or MM2K. I pass along what worked for me. Everyone is different.

Good reply, 926. Folks can talk about this supplement or that but there is no substitute for hard work. However, I am not naive enough not to know that folks are looking for an edge all the time. My son played D-1 football and was perpetually frustrated with supplement (including steroid) use. If you are around athletes much, you know who is juiced. He started in the ACC without the use of drugs and was known as one of the hardest workers around in high school and college.