Region 4-5A

JohnnyC

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Playing on the turf can be death to a team. It takes most of the game to get used to the feel of it.If Siegel plays their home games on it, they will already have the feel for it. They will also have invested in turf shoes which the other teams will not have. It was a huge advantage for Riverdale and Oakland to play at Middle before their stadiums were built. It is so big that it can be very intimidating to other schools. Linemen struggle on the turf as it is harder to plant and move quickly. It is also rough on their ankles and knees.( Olineathlete can probably give you a little more insight than I can about it.) BUT, I can tell you that turf burns are the absolute worst, and I have seen some horrible injuries to kids from other schools who have had to play on the turf terrain. Since Coach Watson played on turf in his college days, he would be able to teach his players how to use the turf to their advantage. A runningback can fly on turf when he is used to the feel of it.

The two main reasons that turf could be an advantage is if you have offensive and defensive speed. I don't think Watson will have a whole lot of that this year. As for Watson he will just run what Riverdale ran but he just wont have those type of athletes. Also college hashmarks makes for a larger split for the wide receiver causing the defense to have to defend the wide split causing the running alleys for running backs to be larger making it tough on opposing defenses.

OK, Blaze fans will go nuts on this one, but....

Can Blackman really do very well this year?....I mean, didn't they lose a lot of players and you guys talk of their non region schedule, well it looks like 3 out of region losses, on paper they would be favored I guess against Lavergne, Segal, and Wilson Central but not against anyone else.....who will step up, do they have more coming back that we don't know of......how did their spring scrimmages go?

I am thinking....1. Riverdale, 2. Oakland, 3. Lebanon, 4. Smyrna......

Dont worry StopNGo. The Blaze fans on this board will not get upset because you have made valiant points that even some of the Blaze fans themselves have made. I will respond to your question like this:

Sure the Blaze did loose some key players: Rico, Maupin, Jason and Justin A, Bowen, Mays, Redding, Herbert, most of the O-Line, so to say that we lost some players is an understatement. However we will still have a strong defense with a solid linebacking, a great tailback in Merideth, and a modest qb in Emerson. The O-line should be stable as many seniors will be starting. Another thing that helps the Blaze out is the Senior leadership. The class of Seniors have been at Blackman for the full four years so they take pride in winning and being feild leaders. The most difficult for our team will probably be the strength of schedual. Opening at Lincoln County, at Seigal, home against Brentwood then Smyrna, then at Gallatin is one of the toughest streaks in all of the state. But with great competition so early it should prepare us for the big region games against Oakland, Riverdale, and Lebanon. So most of the fans and players at Blackman are looking forward to the season. GO BLAZE!!! :rolleyes:

Good Comments oh Shady one.....

What is the full schedule for the Blaze.....what games do you think you guys can win and which ones will be difficult?

Is Blackman a lock for the playoffs or a bubble team.....also, how do you see Smyrna? Wolke is the real deal no matter what anyone else says, I saw him against Riverdale last year and despite getting killed, he is legit.

Blackman 2003

08/29/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Lincoln Co. High School Away

09/05/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Siegel High School * Away

09/12/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Brentwood High School Home

09/19/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Smyrna High School * Home

09/26/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Gallatin High School Away

10/03/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Oakland High School * Away

10/10/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Lebanon High School * Home Homecoming

10/17/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Riverdale High School * Home

10/24/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm LaVergne High School * Away

10/31/2003 (Fri) 7:30 pm Wilson Central High School * Home Sr. Night

*Region game

AT Lincoln County--I dont know about that one. I mean opening up a season at the pit, and from what i hear Lincoln Country if fielding a very good team this year So i wouldnt be surprised to loose a game like that so early in the season.

At Seigal--this game has more meaning than any team the Stars play this year. Watson knows the strengths and weaknesis of the Blaze. Blackman will still win that game.

Home vs Brentwood--The Blaze has homefield advantage so that helps them greatly. Brentwood lost some key players including their QB. I wouldnt be surprised if the Blaze come out ready to open up the Inferno with a win.

Home vs Smyrna-- I agree that Wolke is legit. He has a great arm and runs the veer great. But as was evident in some key games last year Wolke cant win everygame by himself. Blackman will win because Smyrna has never beatin a Boro team.

AT Gallatin--Gallatin is in a similar situation as is Blackman. Both teams lost star players so this game should be up in the air.

At Oakland- Tough game. I guess we will have to see if the hype is true. Wouldnt be surprised if Blackman looses

Home vs Riverdale--I am not going to get into to much detail but i have i gut feeling that THIS IS THE YEAR that we will beat the Warriors. Just dont ask me why

Home vs Lavergne-Should be an easy game to win

AT Wilson Central--chance to rest the startes before the playoffs.

My prediction for schedual result--7-3 or 6-4--BUT DEF. A PLAYOFF TEAM!! Go Blaze :rolleyes:

Guest region4fan

Oh Mighty Rebel, you are certainly right about the tough schedules for Blackman and Oakland. I am proud that we don't shy away, and am confident that it will make us tougher down the line. I am just fearful that the fact that others in our region have padded their off region games, and it could matter for play-off position. Several have been ranking Lebanon pretty high. Their schedule is so padded! I would hate to see us or Blackman sittting home b/c we had to go with overall record at playoff time and we dared to play heavyweights where they played lightweights.