Is cheerleading a sport?

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

If cheerleading were considered a sport at more colleges, it would definitely help build programs, especially at schools whose cheerleading programs are not very good. Yes, some schools offer partial scholarships for cheerleading, but that is few and even fewer schools offer full cheering scholarships. For girls at least..if they do offer scholarships..they go to the guys first and whatever money is left goes to girls based on need and talent. Most schools, though, aside from U of Kentucky, Hawaii Pacific, UT, and a few others..don't have the money because the money they get doesn't come from the athletic department.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha...Kentucky cheerleading is awesome. I dislike cheerleading, but when you're a Kentucky fan, you love anything if its Kentucky blue. So, atleast Kentucky cheerleading is awesome. If you don't already know they have 12 titles, they've won 9 titles in 10 years and this past year placed 2nd. I wouldn't mind cheerleading becoming a sanctioned sport, but only because Kentucky would get plenty of points towards the Sears Trophy at the end of the year. A basketball title and a cheerleading title..can't hurt!

• 4 weeks later...

You know...being that I am a cheerleader and have been for almost ten years, you would think that I would be dead set on classifying cheerleading as a sport, however I agree with what many of you are saying. Yes, there are stereotypes and some cheerleaders live up to them. These girls are the reasons for the stereotypes. Despite what you may think, though, this is not the majority of cheerleaders. Yes, we want to look nice, but that isn't all we want. We put MANY hours every week into doing things for our 'sport'. I couldn't count all the days I've stayed after school until seven or eight at night making signs and run-outs and perfecting our routine for between quarters. We work hard. I think that if cheerleaders were appreciated more and given the respect that they deserve, the ratio of stereotypical cheerleaders to the athletic cheerleaders would change drastically. When we aren't respected it doesn't exactly push us to want to be better. I know that at my school we have gotten to the point of doing it for ourselves. Our fans basically don't care if we're there or not. We could throw up a three person high pyramid and double full from each stunt in it (for those of you that don't understand cheerleading jargon, that is an extremely tough task) and our fans would still sit there lifelessly and stare at us. Most squads are like that. It's not exactly motivation to put your heart and soul into what you do and get no respect. How would the football team feel if no one clapped for them or congradulated them after playing an awesome game? My answer, about the same as us. We do what we do for us. Think it's a sport, don't think it's a sport. It doesn't matter. The true cheerleaders don't care. We do it because we love it. We eat, sleep, and breathe it. It's life.

I wouldn't classify it as a sport. IT can be competitive, and MOST competitive cheerleaders could be considered athletes. But that still doesn't make it a sport. I do enjoy cheerleading competitions though...if that counts for anything. And it does amaze me how serious these girls(and guys) take it. Eaglefan8, I admire your passion for what you do!

Eagle fan, I just want to key in on a few key phrases of what you said... first off you said, "I've spent tons of hours making signs and run-outs." I don't consider this an accomplishment, sure its nice to see the signs, but I really don't think they pump anyone up, really you could probably just take a big sheet of paper and let the football team run throught it and it would have the same effect. Also, you're not going to get respect for what you do because its not all that entertaining, it actually takes away from the rest of the game. Baseball is losing respect because its not very entertaining to watch, soccer has never had a huge following in the US because its not very entertaining to watch. NBA basketball for a lot of people is not entertaining, so they choose not to watch it and not to follow it. Its a simple fact of life. You're either going to have to earn some respect or shut up about it. Plain and simple! Ohh yea, and this week, we taught 4 girls to do stunts, not cartwheels, but throws, etc. Two college male cheerleaders taught 4 new girls how to jump and land and they taught the guys how to throw and catch. In a week. They're doing some pretty complicated stuff that the college cheerleaders actually do, so don't tell me that it can't be done.

Cheerleading is all about the looks. That's why they practice routines and wear make-up...to look good. People don't care how you make a tackle or score a td in football, it can be ugly and still count for face value. Things that involve style and looks for points are not sports; that's acting. (I'm not taking away from the athleticism involved.)

yes, cheerleading is all about the looks... thats why everyone loves Ooltewahs girls... but on another note... how can you possibly say that soccer is not entertaining to watch? Its the most popular sport in the WORLD, and there are NO challengers to that crown...AND I hate to break it to you but soccer is now beginning to break through in america in a big-time way... can you say Landon Donovan? Im sure youve heard of him by now... just because you don't understand the game doesn't mean its not interesting to watch... In 40 years your grandkids are going to be worshipping a Central Midfielder just as much as they cheer their favorite Runningback.... sorry to go off on that but i hate ignorance.

On the proper note, cheerleading is a sport to me... if you can compete in it athletically, then it is a sport. and those cheerleading competitions are there for a reason...Football games are not what makes Cheerleading a sport(it does make boring games better) those national competitions are

To those of you who supported my post, thank you. I appreciate it greatly. For those of you who didn't support my post, quite frankly, I don't care. It's your opinion and I respect that as much as you should respect mine. I do not think, however, that you can judge something completely unless you are involved in. I will restate my previous opinion, real cheerleaders don't care what other people think. We do it for how it makes us feel and what it gives back to us. I think this thread is ridiculous though. Most of what you will get here will either be people who don't know anything about the sport knocking cheerleaders because they annoy them, or cheerleaders trying to defend what they do. Don't get me wrong, you should defend something you love, but it isn't going to make a difference in the way other people feel. Oh and one more comment...we don't practice routines to 'look good'. We practice routines so that we don't hurt the people we're throwing seven feet in the air.

Staynskool, I am in no way ignorant, soccer is not being WATCHED in the united states. The only time u ever watch soccer is when u know someone that is playing. I have never thrown a party to watch the world cup, really I don't know anyone that has. Sure soccer is getting a lot more popular, but its still not fun to watch, unless its live...its like baseball, watching baseball at a stadium is fun, watching it on television is kinda boring. So don't ever call me ignorant, I know darn well that soccer, as well as Lacrosse, are up and coming sports, but they still aren't that great to watch on televison because they are low scoring and little action, plain and simple. Lacrosse is fun to watch sometimes though.

Staynskool, I am in no way ignorant, soccer is not being WATCHED in the united states. The only time u ever watch soccer is when u know someone that is playing. I have never thrown a party to watch the world cup, really I don't know anyone that has. Sure soccer is getting a lot more popular, but its still not fun to watch, unless its live...its like baseball, watching baseball at a stadium is fun, watching it on television is kinda boring. So don't ever call me ignorant, I know darn well that soccer, as well as Lacrosse, are up and coming sports, but they still aren't that great to watch on televison because they are low scoring and little action, plain and simple. Lacrosse is fun to watch sometimes though.