Is cheerleading a sport?

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Well then in that case..I totally agree that cheerleading is about looking good..as in the routine looking good and eye-catching. That's what cheerleading is about. But I don't think that takes it out of the category of being a sport. And in some competitions it isn't even all about who's routine looks the best...it's about who pulls off the hardest stunts and tumbling..even if they aren't clean and pretty, but in most cases the squad that wins is the one with the most difficult AND clean routine. And, trust, making a routine look good is NOT easy. That is why we spend our 2 hour practices going through our 2 1/2 minute routine over and over and over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheering for football and basketball games is not a sport, cheerleading competitions is a sport. thats about it.

This whole argument goes back to each individual's definition of a sport. A sport could be considered anything involving competition between two or more people. I know some cheerleaders, and while they only practice twice a week, they are very competitive, and consider every game they cheer at an opportunity to compete with the other squad and show the fans who the best cheerleaders are. While there are no points, or final score, generally a judgment can be made at the end of the game as to who the better cheerleaders were. Cheerleading is a sport in competitions and at games.

Bubba..that is nonesense. According to your definition school can be considered a sport. I compete with other students to get the best grade, even if they don't know it, and so thats a sport! Also, band is a sport, they can be considered competitive at games. They also go to judged competitions, so why isn't there a forum on here for the band? You can argue that the band isn't as physically tiring, etc. Well, if u watch the movie drumline, u might waiver just a bit. I mean sure, it isn't exactly like other sports, but it takes talent nonetheless. The thing is, cheerleading is a show, its a performance and that is what it should be classified as. A performance that requires physical skill. Plain and simple!

Bubba..that is nonesense. According to your definition school can be considered a sport. I compete with other students to get the best grade, even if they don't know it, and so thats a sport! Also, band is a sport, they can be considered competitive at games. They also go to judged competitions, so why isn't there a forum on here for the band? You can argue that the band isn't as physically tiring, etc. Well, if u watch the movie drumline, u might waiver just a bit. I mean sure, it isn't exactly like other sports, but it takes talent nonetheless. The thing is, cheerleading is a show, its a performance and that is what it should be classified as. A performance that requires physical skill. Plain and simple!

I see what you are saying, so what is your definition of a sport?

I think there are different kinds of sports. You got the ones where people compete against eachother ones like football, basketball, baseball etc. Then you got your golf and bowling ones where it is just you against someTHING else not someONE else but you still keep score according to how well you do. Then theres track and crosscountry and swimming and things of that nature which is you against the time. Then cheerleading. Probubly the only part of cheerleading that could be considered a sport would be the gymnastics and stunt parts of it. In which case it would fall into the catagory with gymnastics and ice skating.