WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, though, I consider band more of an ART than a sport, though. Not that it doesn't take talent and effort and physical ability-because it does. And I'd probably be NO good at it. But I think it is too pretty to be considered a sport and I think that most people in high school bands would probably agree with me that band is more of an ART.

Well i consider cheerleading an art or a performance. Thats pretty much what it is, a show. I watched the 2002 re-runs of the cheerleading national championships and it was pretty much a big show. The cheerleaders do certain physical activities that look good and in most cases are very difficult. Well, there are lots of arts and such that fall under this, like I've said before acting is pretty physical and its considered an art, not a sport.

I was saying there is not a board for band because it is not considered a sport, so why is cheerleading considered one if band isn't?

Also, most of this has already been covered.

Well Maryville, if you were ever really involved in cheerleading I don't think you would consider it an art. I mean I see where you are coming from..and maybe the same is true with band, but I have been cheering for 7 years, and it IS a sport not an ART. Routines ARE performances...but I mean hey what do you call basketball games and football games? What's the point in playing them if there isn't a CROWD there to perform for? It'd just be practice! I know that is 2 totally different types of perforamces...but every sport if you think about it "performs" for a crowd or audience. Why do guys dunk in basketball? You don't get anymore points for that than a lay-up...it's about performing for the crowd and pleasing the crowd!

Well, all I am saying is..isn't it more fun to play when you know there are people there watching? I mean, true..if the fans aren't there the game is played, but I hear athletes complaining all the time about "why don't we have a bigger crowd?" So, obviously, these athletes like to "perform", too.

I know that football players will play a form of football no matter how many people show up. Baseball players will play in an abandoned field by themselves if they have to. We play because, most of us, love our sports. I like to high jump, the only people that ever watch that are the ones that are jumping. I dunk in basketball games because its a matter of proving that you have the ability. Seeing someone jump that high is somewhat depressing, knowing you can't stop them. I think athletes like crowds because its an added adrenaline rush, but I know that they have just as much fun infront of 5 as they do 5,000. I have gone to parks and seen people playing pickup games of basketball and baseball and soccer and football, but I have never gone to the park and seen cheerleaders working on routines or competiting against one another. It might happaen, but I think that cheerleading is much more reliable on crowds and people to perform infront of than some. I guess one "sport" that is almost like Cheerleading is Karate. Karate can be found in two different types:

1. Routines

2. Competitions

Routines are what I consider a form of art, they are to show people that you know the "art" of Karate

The competitions might be considered a sport because its pits two opponents against one another and they get points for certain hits and takedowns. So cheerleading is not the only activity that can be debated!