Is cheerleading a sport?

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

you obviously are ignorant... soccer is a terrific TV sport... i personally have had many parties and ahve many friends who have parties to watch the matches... If you truly love the sport or even just really undersand it then you can watch GOOD soccer on TV with plenty of excitement... The World Cup wa a great example, there were people all over the USA getting up at 7 in the morning to watch our team play.. Just because people in little ole maryville don't get pumped for soccer doesn't mean others don't ... also i know what youre thinking, and no, i am not mexican! believe me when i say this, just because its not happening in your little town or other (especially southern) areas doesn't mean soccer is not huge elsewhere in the USA... Go Attend a soccer amtch in the northeast or in california and tell me how popular the sport is... in many high schools all over new england(especially but also new york and other areas) and california, a schools soccer program will out draw their football program for matches....oh and as your comment on there being "low action" in soccer, you obviously don't know what to look for since there little battles and bits of drama developing throughout a game between particular players throughout a match, and those battles wilol build and they will go in waves of heat until things burst over into a hard foul or a beautiful run, or perfectly placed cross... just think about this next time

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok stayNskool, I usually agree with you on here, but this time not so much. Soccer is beginning to become popular, however it is not a TV sport. Yes, it's on TV, and yes, plenty of people watch it on TV, but the majority of those people are soccer players. The TV ratings for Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Hockey blow Soccer out of the water. Don't get so defensive whereas that's not a bad thing. It just needs time. Also, for many people soccer is boring to watch. That doesn't mean they don't respect the sport or even think negatively about it - they just don't like it, or they just don't know enough about how the game is played. I love watching baseball because as a player I look for the small things and strategies that the normal Jow Blow doesn't even know exist. That's how you are in soccer. It's ok for people to say a sport is boring because that is their personal opinion. And on a side note, soccer has a loooong way to go before widespread parties are thrown to watch a soccer match on TV...

See ya'll next time!

Thank you GRAD, also STAYNSKOOL...events like the World Cup, the World Series, etc. are 10 times better than regular season season soccer or regular season baseball because there is so much more drama, therefore more people watch it because the players play with more passion. I know about soccer, I understand soccer and I am up with whats getting popular in America. Football, more than likely, will always be the most popular sport, unless ur team stinks at it. People got up to watch the World Cup because the World Cup is a matter of pride for our country, most other countries in the world are more up to date with soccer and when we beat them its a huge sense of pride, to beat them at their own game. People watched to see us win and to see the people play with passion.

alright Rebel, you have made an excellent argument for your side and i will concede... the only reason i responded defensively in the first place was that the way in which you wrote of soccer was of such a black and white nature and gave little or no respect for its growth(originally)....and similar to what you said i normaly agree with your posts/opinions on subjects but its one of those things where you get tired of people bashing your sport and eventually you snap on some person who wasn't even being all that negative... sorry about that... anywho... the national level of soccer is actually only better for us americans(MLS is getting better rather quickly though) I prefer to watch the English Premiership and Champions league games though because that is some really good soccer

I know what ya mean about bashing your sport StayNSkool, but I respect soccer players, I've tried to play and I am terrible, even though it is a fun sport to play. I personally don't think that because a sport isn't fun to watch its not fun to play. I've played baseball since I was 4 and its always fun, but I hardly ever watch it because its not really all that exciting. Sure there are times I watch it to get techniques and ideas and such, but really the overall game isn't that exciting. Its low scoring so that doesn't help. I also think most professional sports are pretty crappy to watch, especially basketball. NBA has no passion until the playoffs, thats why college basketball is so much better. Really I wasn't disrespecting your sport, I was just stating that its not all that fun to watch on television because its, really, somewhat monotonous. The sport is great to play, very hard to play, but its not great to watch on television.

i guess... its hard for me personally to understand bcause i love the game soo much... i know some guys who love baseball so much that they almost worship the sport and can watch any game when its on TV and i think you and i can both agree that, that is insane.... nothing worse to watch on TV to me anyway than baseball and golf... i will watch cheerleading competitions though :angry: ! matter of fact, im not sure when the competitions are going to begin being televised but here soon i will watch any and all i see, word on the street is that Flipn4OHS is gonna blow me a kiss after a tumble....he he Alright!(just a little Quagmire for you Family Guy fans out there)

Just a quick comment on here. Pretty much all sports on tv stink, with the exception of football. Sorry, but it's true. Also, Grad, you might want to check your stats on that Hockey outranking soccer...The only people that watch Hockey are transplanted Canadians. Hockey is the dead sport here.

And what was the last time that ANY of you got up at 6:30 to watch a sporting event on television? Right, never...I've done it at least 3 times for soccer.

Edited by OldSkoolBalla

Old Skool is correct... Soccer is the only sport which i would wake up at 6:30 to watch(I prolly would for a Ga. Tech football game but that has to do with what i was raised watching)... I can't stand baseball on TV, I can only watch football games of teams i care about otherwise it just has no relevance, Hockey, I can't even make it through one period, basketball rarely until the playoffs, anything else not a chance.... Soccer is the sport i love and therefore I can watch it anytime anywhere. im sure its the same way with others, and their chosen sport. But more than any othe rcurrent sport soccer is becoming popular with the youth... more kids play youth soccer in america now than any other sport and that bodes well for the future...

OldSkool, please refer back to Rebels post about why sooo many Americans watch the World Cup...You wouldn't wake up at 6:30 AM to watch a soccer game. you would wake up at 6:30 AM to watch America take on the world for national pride. (And this case happens to take place in the sport you like). Secondly, I will not guarantee I am right on my hockey vs. soccer stats, but you are definately wrong on your faulty generalization about hockey. NOBDOY likes hockey down here where we live except those transplanted Canadians you were talking about..but if you go up north or out west it's a whole different ball game. You know how I began college in Colorado, well those people out there live hockey. It just depends on where you are. But as a nation I would say although close, hockey has more TV coverage and viewers than soccer - for now.

I will check for sure though and get back to you...

First off..with any sport I would rather be right there watching it than watching it on TV with the exception of football. Baseball on tv and basketball on tv bore the heck out of me, if I am there though I can usually enjoy them. I don't really care for soccer or hockey, though, nothing against the sports-they just don't really interest me. But I'm gonna get back on topic...I totally agree with everything you said eagle. That was a great post, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Cheerleading is NOT all about looks...we don't practice routines to look good, like eagle said we practice so no one gets hurt and to perfect our routine and win competitions. And the comment about make-up..I don't wear it. The only time I wear make-up is at competitions, b/c if you don't wear make-up the judges can't see your faces because they are so far away..i agree that it does not matter in football or other sports if your face is seen, but that is a part of cheerleading. But I don't wear make-up to school, practice, or even games. When I am cheering I am not trying to "look good"..that is probably the last thing on my mind. I am trying to stick my stunts and land my tumbling..and if you have ever seen me after a practice or game or competition..you would know that I am not trying to look good. If you think cheerleading is all about looks..PLEASE come to one of my allstar practices and just watch..because you will see how much hard work and athleticism it takes, and that looks are not a concern at all.