basketball during football practice

bbfbfan

Well, I hear that Sparta's athletic programs are back in the news again. It seems that basketball was trying to make some of the football players post a certain amount of hours in the gym during the month of July, when football wanted them to strictly concentrate on FB since it is the next season sport. Some of the boys are really feeling pulled trying to please both sports. Here again is the age old adage "Can you really play both sports and do well at them?" I am sure they are wondering if they will be "punished" by not logging in the appropriate hours in the gym. I heard a rumor that it was even stated by basketball that if the FB boys didn't have these hours in they "wouldn't even get a jersey!". Any comments on this. Don't get me wrong, I know that if a player wants to get better they will be in the gym or on the field, but can't coaches be reasonable when players are playing 2-3 sports?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it can be done if the best interest of the player is kept in mind. Both coaches need to work together for the player's sake. Too many times coaches are selfish with players and think they have the only show in town. But, isn't it almost football time in tn. So play football. The basketball coach would have a fit if the football coach if the situation were reversed.

If the basketball coach is doing this and the athletic director is allowing him to do it, they both should be fired. It is very unfair to the boys or any athlete for that matter. Basketball already has unrestricted practice all year round through the AAU, YBOA etc.

If the basketball coach is doing this and the athletic director is allowing him to do it, they both should be fired. It is very unfair to the boys or any athlete for that matter. Basketball already has unrestricted practice all year round through the AAU, YBOA etc.

Totally agree moonie, good post

I think that Coach Brown conducts himself very professionally and if the basketball coach can't then it is his fault. Sometimes kids will also start these type of rumors to get something stirred up. By the way, basketball does not start until November. this is the time of year the football coach should have the athletes. I agree totally with the statement of a coach who tells a kid not to play other sports or one who will not share athletes and work with the other programs should not be there. I played for Coach Brown at Bledsoe and when I was there he coached baseball as well. I think the problem is stemming from the other side.

Guest RHSfan05

Here at Rockwood. The bball coach will let the football players off to go to football. And when football is over they football players that play basketball get a week off or something like that.

This is going on every where! Basketball is a year-round sport.

Many basketball coaches are asking their players to do certain things with the basketball team in July.

The big question is "how many" days are the basketball coaches asking their players to give up during July.

Ditto for baseball.

This is a problem that is getting worse every year,let the kids prepare and play the sport that is in season,when that sport is over move on to the next one.No coach of another sport should punish or deter a player who want to play more than one sport,this is more common now than in years past.

Guest RHSfan05

StanTrot is right bball is a year round sport the only time that you are really off is for the dead period and from the end of the season to the end of the school year so u only really get 10 months of basketball.