Netherland

BigSneaky

St. George's lands coach Netherland

By Brian Douglas

douglas@gomemphis.com

July 18, 2003

So much for retirement.

Ken Netherland already has the most wins in Shelby County prep football coaching history, and his total could continue to grow. St. George's High School has scheduled a 2 p.m. press conference for today, when it is expected to announce that Netherland will be the school's first head varsity football coach.

Neither Netherland nor St. George's would directly confirm the hire, but both sides said they had spoken, and the school released a statement Thursday that detailed a "major announcement" about the "coaching role" Netherland will play this fall at the school.

"I never did retire from coaching," said the 63-year-old Netherland, who compiled a 310-107-3 record at Germantown and Hillcrest. "I just left Germantown High School. I've wanted to possibly get a coaching job and continue to coach for another four or five years."

Netherland spent 29 years with the Red Devils, taking them to a state title in 1983. His last season was also one of his best, as Germantown advanced to the TSSAA Class 5A semifinals and finished 13-1.

Netherland declined to discuss the job specifically, but did say he would not have a problem coaching at a Division 2 school. In the past he has been a vocal critic of what he views as the recruiting issues between the classifications.

"My biggest problem with any D2 school is recruiting and being blatant about it," Netherland said. "I had no problem with any private school up until about four or five years ago when the recruiting thing came up."

St. George's will add a sophomore class this year and expects an enrollment of about 250 in grades 6-10. The school has had a junior-varsity football squad for the past two seasons.

The sprawling, 125-acre campus off Houston Levee Road in Collierville currently has a home football field, but a more traditional stadium could be built in the next few years as the program grows, school officials said.

- Brian Douglas: 529-5804

It will be interesting to see if his view of private/public schools changes now being on the other side. I don't think he will go out and recruit, but it can only help St. George's image as an upcoming athletic school. Parents who were looking at CBHS, ECS, and MUS now have another option for their child. Good luck Coach Netherland from an old Red Devil.