3 Way scrimmage

REBELRON

Austin East and Maryville scrimmaged 1st.

Austin East and Maryville scored a TD a piece. It wasn't a game like scrimmage.Each team would run 10 plays and then they would have 4 downs to make a 1st down.

I thought Maryville played great defense all day long. I believe our linebackers are quicker this year. Matt Valentine looked great. He will be a good one. Only a sophomore. Our secondary looked great except on one play when AE scored on a long pass. Defensive line played well.I was pleased with the defense all day long.The thing about AE is you never can rest against those guys.They can break one at any second.

Offense would move the ball some then they would give up a big sack or lost yardage play. McCord and Byner ran the ball well.Gaskin and Rouse caught some good passes.Offense still needs a lot of work though.But. They will get better because they are talented and have great coaches.

Austin East has a very good defense. They are quick as cats. Anthony McCallaster#54 is awesome. That guy will be division 1. He is a big timer. I thought he was better than Joe Sanders of Hillsboro last season.UT needs to look at him.If they don't they are crazy. He is quick,fast,strong and will knock your head off.He is smart and a sure tackler Maryville had a screen set up and he comes from no where and puts Antonio Byner on his can. Austin East will be a force to reckon with in 3A. Their offense needs some work but their defense is fine.

Maryville's young players looked good. The juniors,sophomores and freshmen are really good.

Varsity AE 1TD MHS 0

Reserves MHS 1TD AE 0

Maryville beat North Gwinnet 4tds to 1

Tyler Gaskin put on a show in that scrimmage. He abused that corner all day.McCord and Byner ran well in that scrimmage. Parnell had a good run. Cade threw the ball well. Maryville played better in this scrimmage.

Maryville's defense shined in this scrimmage also.I was surprised how good the defense was all day.

I want to wish AE good luck this year.They will be hard to beat in 3A.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebelron and mhs, I agree about the D. I was impressed with them and the numbers that they played. Of course having to play 2 teams, I'm sure they wanted to let everyone play. I thought the offensive production picked up when Gaskin and McCord played more against North Gwinnett.

I think we are overall, a little more physical upfront on D, especially at DE. Hodge and Jeffrey Smith have both bulked up and look like totally different players from last year. DT looks good with a rotation going on there. Granted we don't have anyone as big as Cole, but overall we look a lot more physical imo.

A-E's MLB is a player. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Not a bad day at all, no, but it wasn't perfect. The MHS defense has a long way to go - as well as our offense. I didn't like that MHS seemed to struggle on first team against the A-E Roadrunners on not only one, but both, sides. Don't get me wrong. A-E is certainly a worthy opponent and I wish them the best in 3A this year. I was really impressed by their #54, which I take to be their All-State linebacker. If we had a single linebacker playing later in the season like that guy did today, which was with tremendous intensity and endless confidence out there, I'd be very happy.

Our offensive line has a long way to go. It seemed that A-E knew how to stop our running backs and how to get around some of our linemen too easily. Cade got hit too many times for my liking. Byner was also covered up by a pile more than once. He did have some nice, shifty runs, but A-E's backs had better-looking athletic runs sometimes. Boy could they run around the corner. Our defensive linemen and linebackers over pursued them way too much. I suppose it was a good thing our guys made these kinds of mistakes this early, though, so that the coaches can show them all the things they did wrong and teach them how to do it all right. And I used to think scrimmages were worthless when I played.

Here's some players I'll single out for good plays - Alex Rouse (some good athletic plays, catches, etc.) Tyler Gaskin (good defensive stops, he was always there to make the stop, plus he had an impressive catch against North Gwinnett), Matt Valentine (played like a veteran), and our #40 LB (some good hits behind or close to the line) all had very good defensive plays. #84 (a DB) also had some great plays (2 interceptions in the first scrimmage if I count right) but on others he missed tackles and on one he nearly got run over. I'm not familiar with all their names yet but I do have the starting numbers in today's line-ups:

Def. Line - 74 (Jeffrey Smith) DE, 64 (?) DT, 55 (Headrick) DT, 88 (Andrew Hodge) DE

Linebackers - 38 (Larry Hannan), 50 (Cory Everett), 40 (Valentine)

Backup LBs: 36 (?), 54 (Dee Arrington)

Def. Backs - 81 (?) CB, 5 (Gaskin) SS, 1 (Clement) FS, 84 (?) CB

Off. Line - 66 (LT), 65 (LG), 52 ©, 55 (RG), 56 (RT)

WR's - 86 (?), 4 (Chase Sanders), 3 (Alex Rouse, yee-haw!)

Back-up WR's - 1 (Clement), 5 (Gaskin - I was surprised he didn't start!)

QB - 7 (Cade Thompson, of course), Backup - 3 (Rouse)

RB's - 24 (McCord) & 22 (Byner)

The receivers did better than I expected, but there were still tons of dropped passes and broken routes (however A-E's and N.Gw's DBs usually had good coverage and pressure). There's a lot to be improved among the receivers but I do have faith in 'em all. It's still a long way to go before the first game with Carter and we had to start somewhere.

As for the game with North Gwinnett. I think I was too freaked out by the fact that we were facing my old head coach Tim Hammontree's team, to be really paying that much attention to this game, I was just taken aback by it all. But when I did pay attention, I wasn't all that impressed with our guys. It just seemed like the Bulldogs were able to drive the ball on us all the time. I did see us score one TD but I left midway through the game. I had a dinner appointment and I didn't expect us to be playing more than one team. I guess the Rebels did better after I left if they scored three more TD's.

Overall, the Rebels seem to be headed in the right direction. Looking forward to next week when they play Oak Ridge. That will be a big test as well!

Go Rebs! :justwrestle:

Edited by Philster043

Well, I didn't make it to the varsity game but I was there for the JV game. I thought Maryville looked tuff. I wish I would've seen the varsity play because I heard it was a excellent scrimmage.

Just remember its only August 2nd, these teams will improve by the end of the season. I wish all you Rebs, the best of luck in 4A.

GO AE.

Oh by the way, #54 for AE is probably going to go to Notre Dame because he went to their camp this summer but I hope he stays here and go to UT. Bu UT would have to get rid of Randy Sanders because he doesn't know how to run an offense. I know that don't have anything to do with Anthony but hey, I had to put my 2 cents in here :justwrestle:

What an evening! 3 really good teams! Lots of Maryville "Alumni" in the stands (about 450 fans too...pretty good attendance IMO).

Really enjoyed seeing Coach Hammontree again.

I could see the Red Rebels improve a little more with each set of downs. I think they're going to be just fine.

I enjoyed visiting with Philster043 (the guy keeps up with each play better then anyone!!)

Good luck this year to the Roadrunners and the NG Bulldogs (thanks for comming)......yeah, Red Rebels too.

Oh, one more thing RR fans......Mrs Map has said it again this year!!! "They're back in the 'Boro again this year".......guess we'll see how she does this year. She IS 4 for 4!

Reguards to the board

Map

It was a great night to watch three up and coming teams. No question my Red Rebs are on top as the three time champs and have no where to go but down. But I saw an up and coming team in the youth at shields last night. Maryville will improve each contest and be ready to enter this years play-offs. I do have some concerns at QB, LB's and O line.

#7 has an edge because of the experience he fell into last year but I don't think he has improved as much as the secondary or the receiving corps. Those kids, most of which did not start last year have improved a great deal. IF #7 stays the primary at QB, teams will be able to key on the lack of the deep threat or the option. Rouse is simply a better athlete and opponents would not be able to key on the above. The size, speed and depth is there 2 deep again for Maryville.

On the D side of the ball the squad looked pretty good but we had a few kids playing both ways and this concerns me always. The LB corps did ok but really lack size and hitting ability of LB's of the past three teams. I do think they will improve but coach g should take a look at few of those spoh's that he does not know! I do not think the D is quite 2 deep like years past. If injury comes the Rebs will have to step up.

AE will make a deep run into the play-offs in my view and have the tools to win the big one as long as their conditioning stays. My only comment here is they looked tired. But they are going to be fun to watch.

Coach H was as classily as I remember him and a few other teams around the area should have offered him the money to get him at their helm if they want to win.

Last thing, it is a great pleasure to see that may fans and former players in the stands cheering for three great teams who are coached well. The 23rd with Carter can't get here fast enough. Go Rebs

I was surprised to see how good some of these sophomores looked. Valentine at MLB, Tallent at RB, The new OL from Georgia playing with the broken hand, etc. I will be interested to see Tucker in the OL when he gets back out there.

The OL needs work, but I believe they'll get there. I believe they are ahead of where they were at this stage in '99 and 2000, especially from a physical stand point. I thought an area they must work on, was picking people up when they throw screen passes. Twice I saw them let people through (i.e. #54 from A-E) without even trying to block them. Last year's line was really good running screens, but I believe that will come. Ellis will see to that. I hope to see improvement at Oak Ridge Friday in our overall execution. I think most of the pieces are there and it will be up to the staff to decide who plays where and who the starters will be.

I was impressed too that the longer we played the better we looked. Especially after scrimmaging for over 4 hours. Looks like we have a pretty well conditioned team imo.

Mapperman, I'm for whatever Mrs. Map says. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

I think I can excuse the AE game, I really don't think we will see much of anyone as good and as fast as AE, atleast not until we get deep in the playoffs. Alcoa or Central will probably be the fastest two teams, and I don't think either is as fast as AE is overall. Also on the defensive line we gave up some size for some speed, so I think it works either way. Ryan Headrick is Cole's "Mini Me" he goes 110 miles per hour on every play and he plays much bigger than his size. He'll do just fine. I think That Maryville might have the tools to go pretty far this year, but they will have to have a lot of things go right for them.