Football Classification Format

gator

I want some opinions from anybody. Does it really make any sense the way the TSSAA does their football classifications by classifying schools according to their enrollments? Why aren't schools classified in football according to how many players are on their varsity rosters? What difference does it make how many students attend a school when, say, only 30 players are on a varsity football roster for a 5A school? You could possibly get a rough estimate a year in advance on how many varsity players a school will have in football and classify according to that. Because there is so much variance in the numbers on the rosters, football is the only sport you could classify this way. It doesn't seem right that you have Maryville with 80-90 varsity players playing in 4A, and then you have a Campbell Co. with 30-40 players playing in 5A, just because Campbell Co. has a higher student enrollment. A very small percentage of the student body plays football anyway. No one can tell me that Maryville does not have an advantage over other 4A schools as far as developing depth, etc. At the same time, 5A schools with 30-40 players such as Campbell Co. are at a huge disadvantage when they play other 5A schools with much larger rosters. In my opinion, schools with the largest varsity rosters should be classified together and on down the line. Any thoughts?

Not realistic. Most teams lose players as the year unfolds. A number given at the beginning of the year may not even be close to a number as the season starts. The enrollment dictates your amount to choose from not how many you have. To me a school such as Maryville who dresses out 80 or 90 is just a good school with a vested interest in the game. Trousdale Co last year had only around 30 players but made it to the semifinals in 3-A now would that be right to classify them in a lower classification just based on team numbers?

You also have to look at traditional rilvaries being lost, travel considerations, scheduling difficulties,etc. I could not even fathom being moved around every year according to the size of the team. Sorry but I disagree.

Classification would be extremely tough to do as you wish. The numbers on some rosters increase and decline from spring practice to the beginning of the season. What do you do if a team has 60 kids on a team in the spring but only 40 by the time the season starts? You would be reclassifying every year. Scheduling would be hard. And now Maryville is the exception to the rule, most schools now only have 35-55 players on their roster and that is from class 1a through 5a. You would have the majority of schools in one class. For example, in Northeast TN, only Dobyns-Bennett and may be a couple of other schools would be in the same class with 65 plus players. it's not often that you see a school with 80-90 players on the roster. It wouldn't be practical to classify the schools in that manner.

Edited by jjwsiv

gator: I can't agree with you. Besides the great points already made, the politics of this would be insane. If what you suggested came to pass, coaches would cut kids the previous year so they would not have to play certain schools. The idea of athletics is for everyone to get a chance to play. That might be in a game, or just in practice. If a 5A school only has 30-40 players, it is the coaches' responsibility to create interest in the sport and to get kids playing. Adjusting classifications on a yearly basis would be impossible.

Why is it that 5A can only get 30-40 players out? Answer: The JV program is an afterthought at most programs. I'm told that most coaches don't want to play JV games because they are fearful that a utility(borderline starter) player will get hurt. The 6 quarter rule also screws things up. How can a kid play 4 quarters of special teams on Friday and then only be able to play 1/2 of a JV game.

Without a good JV program you lose players cause they don't want to stand around and watch their buddy's play. So you're 50 man roster end up at 30 rather than growing to 60+

The conundrum is really how to we keep kids out for team sports? With school, jobs, family situations, transportation, etc. it makes it difficult to at times. Add to it the commitment it takes to get better at the sport. Combine that factor with coaches (and parents) pulling kids to "specialize" in one sport only and training/practicing year round, and NOT play football. The final factor is the school itself: a succesful program or an exciting coaching change will spark interest, and an administration that places a value on such educational experiences. Look at the Clarksville situation: despite what the kids or coaches want, those in authority will be determing even if the opportunity will exist to play football or other sports.

In some ways a smaller squad has it's advantages. However, in 5A where there is no upside limit to the number of potential players you could attract to play, competing with 30 kids against programs who have that many playing JV or freshman alone, is a daunting task.

opossum - i like your idea where you only count the boys/girls.

some time age a post was put on here about a superconference. IMO IF this could be worked out it could be great for all teams in tennessee

TSSAA could promote the superconference as the best High school football in the land and make plenty of money (their main objective)

the winner of the superconference would defintely be declared the best team in the state, also promoting the players in the superconference could get them noticed by

big and small colleges.

other teams not in the superconference would have a chance a a state title except for the same teams winning mostly every year.

Just something to think about.

I think students should be counted to determine classification, however only the boys in the school should be counted for male sports, females in girls. A team could be 2a in boys sports and 1a or 3a in girls.

You know this is common sense why hasn't anyone thought of this idea before the only sport I see a problem with this idea is basketball because the games are played the same night you could then just count everyone and have a basketball classification?

Classifying by enrollment numbers is the simplest and easiest way to divide it up. However there are a lot of factors that effect success. Student participation, capability of coaches, quality of teachers, involvement of community, success of booster club, support from education leadership are among some that dictate how well a school can participate.

The most fair way to do it is to use a merit based system. It can be done and every school would have a more equal chance to win since they would be competing against other schools that are similar in quality. We wouldn`t have any public/private or zoned/opened zone debate because a system would be in place that would counter any disadvantage a school may or may not have. The only people who would be complaining then are the poeple who simply don`t like private schools.