Gallatin Vs. Oakland (Scrimmage)

Gtowner

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try not to post a biased opinion on the scrimage. Final as I had it was 21-17 Oakland. As far as I could tell both teams looked very quick on both sides of the ball. The 1st teams had a score of 10-7 Gallatin. After Link came out in the 3rd Quarter #2 from Oakland went around the left side for about a 30 yard TD. He is very fast blew by everyone. Gallatin gave up a TD on Oakland's 1st possesion on about 5 or 6 plays. Then Gallatin answered with a 60-70 yard run by Link. After getting 1st and goal with the second quarter ending they had to settle for a FG. Each JV squad scored a TD. I think both teams will have to step up the level of play if they are going to be playing in Dec. ;)

Edited by wave88

Link looked good, it was a 70 yard run. However, I had the 1st teams 14-10 in favor of Oakland.

Both teams showed some bright spots, both teams showed some weaknesses. Overall though both teams looked solid.

Gallatin is going to have to improve their tackling a lot. On offense they don't have the power running game that they had last year. It looks like it will be a little more finess than in the past.

I think it was a good scrimmage for both teams. Oakland doesn't have one standout player, they pretty much looked like a team. Oakland should have a good season.

Good luck to them.

Guest region4fan

You are correct Just1np, the starters score was 14-10 in favor of Oakland. I am like you, I saw that both teams are not fine-tuned yet. However, both teams had many bright spots. I think Gallatin's QB is quite a stud! I had heard many things about him, and they were true. I especially liked a block he made for himself. when he was running the ball. He laid our player out.

It would be great for our two teams to meet again in the playoffs!! I wish Gallatin the best this season.

Who else have you scrimmaged so far??

We try to keep away from touting superstars at Oakland. I appreciated the comment calling us a team! Thanks! I would have enjoyed meeting you...maybe next time.

Edited by region4fan

Well, you all have pretty much said it all. Both teams looked solid. Gallatin's starting defense was a bit disappointing. They can't allow big runs like they did last night. Offense look pretty good, but it worries me that Link does everything (including blocking for himself, LOL). Oakland, as just1 said, played like a team. They had a little bit of trouble holding on to the ball, but this is preseason, and I'm sure that will change come regular season. Gallatin made me proud, but they need some fine-tuning. Goodluck to Oakland in the regular season, and hey, maybe we'll meet again. Oh yeah, GO BIG G!

Guest Oakland

yeah was kinda suprised to see that link was doing everything, but the way he plays i dont think it would matter, the man is a star, I thought except for a couple of big runs we contained him well at times. offense played well and this game could have easily been 35-17 but oakland had too many dropped balls, you got to hold on to the football!!! I was impressed with oakland's running game last night, thought kentrell and carlos both did very well, dont feel bad gallatin, oakland will run over a lot of teams like they did last night. Defense was decent except for a couple of mental breakdowns at the safety spot, that maybe our undoing later in the year. btw, Region4fan, who was our kickoff man last night, for a guy this being his first trying it, he sure was impressive! but thats all for now, later from the PATRIOT NATION!!!!!

Guest region4fan

Oakland2001, the kick-off man #40 also caught the touchdown pass from Daryl Smith at the conclusion of the scrimmage!! I was wondering who he was too. One of the parents told me that he was on the team before but had quit??? I am not sure how old he is , but I hope that he is YOUNG so we can keep him around awhile! Every kick to the endzone!!!!!!!!!! We can sure use that, can't we??

Both schools had a good crowd. It is fantastic to see the fans turn out for their boys.

Just1np said it all. "Room for improvement"

Oakland took over on the 20yrd line. First play was a about a 35 yard run by #35. 2ND a 20 yard run. 3rd a 12 or 15 yarder by #11 4th the rest by #35. Touchdown Oakland. I thought we looked really bad missed tackles no one flying to the ball just bad. Gallatin gets the ball looked very methodical. Gets a 1st down in 3 plays runs 2 more than boom!~ Link darts through the line for about 70 yards. 7-7. Oakland gets a couple of first downs then our defense looks like it wakes up a little and holds Oakland for a punt.

#35 still running hard and gets to the holes quick. #7 qb who I assume is Ebal really did not show me much. But Oakland did not throw very much either. After a couple of possessions Gallatin drives down field goes for it on 4th and is held. We get the ball right back settle for a field goal before half time. 10-7 Gallatin

Gallatin gets the ball drives a little. Link lays out #19 on the drive. Beautiful 12 yard gain up the middle. Drive stalls. Oakland gets the ball after some nice running gains for Oakland, #2 goes around the end untouched for I would say 40 yards. Oakland 14-10. Starters were replaced. Gallatins jv had Oaklands number on offense and defense. They flew to the ball something that the starters lacked. They pressured the qb and even got a sack. With MacFarland injured and Kyle Shipley(transfer from McGavock) sick, Gallatin brought #1 Sam Ayers back to the #2 Qb position. That kid, got to love him, he has played Qb, LB, FB, TE, DE never starts and never complains. Hopefully he'll get some playing time somewhere. After his stint at qb, Justin Sadler #10 all 115 lbs of him came in at QB. #34 Jay Brown ran really hard and good. (if this kid would only grow...hasn't since freshman year he would be a stud) Gallatin got a td called back went for it and turned the ball over. Oakland got the ball nothing and punted. Gallatin then brings in #19 Dontaye Hall, one play 20 something yard td pass to #14. Gallatin 17-14. Oakland then turns to the air. #19 and #18, wow they have speed. Oakland throws down the field and looked good doing it. Gallatin has a chance to hold them doesn't Oakland scores 21-17 Oakland. End of scrimmage.

Oakland I thought looked very good with alot of speed at the skill positions. #35 and #11 ran very well. The line for Oakland was huge and could move. The recivers looked very fast and the defense was tough as usual. Oakland did look to tire as the scrimmage went on in the line and depth is an issue. #35 got hurt after a huge lick by #50 Blaine Riddings. (why he was in there running behind the 2nd stringers I don't know) Looked like he might have tweaked an ankle as well. Oakland did look solid and region 4 has the Patriots written all over it.

Gallatin the good: #11 Aubrey Ingham- every kickoff deep in the endzone. He looked exceptional. Jamo running the ball. Man he is fast. Jay Brown he will get some carries this year. He ran hard. Big B at linebacker looked good. The defensive secondary looked like they have improved some but they are still young, gonna take some game experience. #2 Alvin Johnson almost had an interception. The return game looks strong with #32 Rontez Harris and newcomer#33 Travis Rose. Offensive line I think one game under their belt will help a lot.

Gallatin the bad: Have to have a runningback step up. Harris has got some skill but running up the gut is not his game. He just is not a power back. Gallatin never ran to the outside. Link-way too many carries. what 15 or so. Too many for your QB especially when he plays defense and is your punter. He looked tired when he punted and he never got off a good one like he is capable. Defense missed tackles, did not break down in alot of cases, and looked plain porous at times. No sacks, no tackles for big losses just nothing to hang your hat on. Worried ,...yeah. Travis Rose I wanted to see him more. Reciever or defensive back...wonder why? Shipley...he had looked good in practice just wish he wasn't sick. #29 Daniel Foster had heard that he had a good camp, toobad the ankle injury will keep him sidelined. While #23 Kyron Malone did not look bad I miss #3 Big B in at the fullback slot. Gallatin 1of 3 passing and that one was almost over thrown.(starters)

Overall I give Gallatin a "C". Getting Sergio and especially JaMichael Douglas back will help tremendiously. Until then you have to play the cards delt ya. I just hope we get some of the fine tuning done this week. Collierville will be a tough opener.

Guest Oakland

yeah i came away satisfied with oakland's performance, there are of course some things we can do better, but i thought overall it wasnt bad, but definetly something we can improve upon. btw, that big hit put on roper did injure him, and as far as i know its his ankle, dont know the extent of the injury, but i do know that he cant walk, but from i have heard its not anything major. thats all for now from the PATRIOT NATION!!

Yeah, I did notice Douglas and Bowers were out. They both play defense as well. I think the good news is that they can only get better, barring injuries of course.

Speaking of injuries, Oakland had a back that was hurt late in the game on a QB sack. It looked like he was just a back-up player watching with the coaches in the backfeild when the action got too close. Any news on the severity of that player?