Language used playing sports and football

behappy229

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another part of "real life training" is accepting that real life is going to contain alot, if not most, that a person may not agree, accept, or be accustomed too. I also play high school sports. I don't play football, however I do not think how inappropriate a single word of a pre-game speech may be. The same language is found just as much in environments that do not contain the same amount of emotion as a sports game. Cussing, in my opinion does not take away from a game. Most of the time, its done where the "fans" of the team cannot hear it, so it shouldn't bother them. And if they do hear it, again, I'm not saying its right, but it is just part of the game I suppose. And as for coaches being criticized for cussing in a practice, I think nothing is worse than a parent setting in on a practice, and having something to say about it in a negative aspect. Team practice is for the team, our team has an understanding that what is said or what happens in the gym during practice stays between the team, and I feel like it should be like that in the same sense with all sports. If someone wants to be a fan of a sport, they should take the good with the bad and not try and make it fit their "PERFECT WORLD MOLD."

A coach is a teacher and just like in a classroom they are looked up to for guidence and to teach kids what they should do to make it in the world. I agree alot of these words are used in everyday life by some people but for the teacher to teach this to the kids is wrong. This sport is taught by a teacher . I feel their jpb is to teach these kids the right ways of life not the ways of street life. Yes alot of these kids hear alot on T.v , movies and even with their friends but to say it is ok for them to have their teacher say these things to them is wrong. I know alot of kids say things they shouldn't . We all do but I feel the coach is the teacher and he should teach the kids the sport without using language like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I think cursing in any facet of life shows your ignorance. I realize sometimes a

coach may not like how a kid reacts to or runs a play. I realize a player sometimes misses a catch, throws a bad pass, or misses an assignment. But cursing is not going to make things better. Coaches should be role models and people that children look up to. These actions are not typical of the men and women who are mentors for our children.

If you're a player or a captain of your team what type of example is this setting for freshmen, sophmores. This is an issue that needs to be addressed school to school and hopefully coaches or A.D.s or Captains can address this.

good points made all around. but if you have been around kids today very much and have listened to them talk you would realize that is how many (not all) of them talk in casual conversation with one another...not just on the field. i am not saying it is right either way but i have often been told "they come from a different world" than many of us were brought up in.

I have been around college football programs that do not allow cursing, and I am

not speaking about Christian schools either. If it is controlled by a coach early it

will not be an issue. CRC I agree with your points about it being normal conversation with teens these days, but I know kids that curse in normal conversations but do not curse at church or around their parents. It is all about standards that are set and people controlling their enviorments.

Obviously, some people have never played football in public schools. :angry: I don't like the cussing either. Fact is... no matter how much we talk about it , I don't ever forsee a day where zero tolerance is the rule. It is as it always has been, and always will be. The general decline of our society dictates the acceptable actions and language of our public school kids. I wish it weren't so....

As far as the refs go, easton2 asked about it previously, if a kid slips out a s**t or d**n, the official will tell him to watch his mouth. If he continues, he will draw a flag. The official stance is to not put up with it...period. Mr Ref won't hit the foul-mouthed player with a 15 yarder right away, however, if he is just venting about a play or his own performance. BUT, if a kid or coach cusses at an official, you better believe he'll see yellow the FIRST time. I don't believe the mindset of the the officals has changed this year from previous years and I know the actual rule has not changed. Please keep in mind, the officials don't hear it all. If youv'e played ball before, you know what it's like to be on a field or in a gym that's full and during the course of the game, not hear anything around you; to be focused on the task at hand.

If you truly feel you need to express your opinions on an out of control coach or program, send a letter to the School's Principal and copy the system's Superintendent and Ronnie Carter of the TSSAA. I'd suggest in the meantime, don't sit so close to the game. :D

Personal fouls for cussing, boycotts of harry potter, man this society is about as weak as sugarless kool aid, who is running TSSAA now Jerry Falwell?

I agree, we have enough censorship now without someone trying to control the very words we speak.