Sweetwater at South Pitt.

TankTalk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First meeting since 1982 Sweetwater won 20-0. This was a huge rivalry at one time. I'm glad to see it renewed. I looking for a good game. South Pittsburg I hear is loaded for bear. All that talent and all that speed and all of those seniors and they also have depth like never before. Over 50 players for first time since 1987. I'm planning on going to it.

South Pittsburg showed some action through the air with QB Ron Cook the other night in the jamboree but it is not something that SP has ever really done in the past. They have always been a ground team, this year could be different though. Cook showed a good, accurate arm. At the Tailback spot look for Senior David Cagle and Freshman Cody Walker to shoulder the load running the ball. Jeremiah Griffith, Jeremy Allison and Alex Adcock were the main receivers that night but there are a few others that can play the wideout spot also. Defensively look for Cagle and senior Ben Blevins to be 2 hard hitting linebackers that keep themselves in position to always make a play. The defensive line will be tough to run on, especially up the middle.

From what I have read SP will be the more experienced team with more returning starters but Sweetwater will be the bigger team. It should be a great game. Too bad it will be the first time in over 20 years that these two great teams have met.

Sorry Tank that I couldn't give much more than that but now tell us what to expect from Sweetwater. All I have really seen on them is a little about the Lupton kid.

Edited by Beene_Coliseum

I don't doubt South Pit. will be good, but Sweetwater just has too much talent. The only way South Pit. will win is by stopping the run. Sweetwater's run game is the toughest in the region. This is a very deep region that they reside in. Sweetwater will be too much. It will remain close until the second half. The size and run game will wear South Pit down.

As for what I expect from Sweetwater...Latham, some Latham and a dash of Latham.

The junior runner has gotten stronger, if that's possible, and should be the main weapon for Sweetwater. He is a hard man to stop, and if you are able to, Sweetwater does have a few other weapons in the form of Jeffery Moore, Chris Melton at QB and Jam Ferguson. Ferguson is a state-record holder with 13 interceptions in 2001.

Last year, his numbers were down because coaches refused to throw at him. He and Moore, in my humble opinion, are the best cornerback duo in a strong 2-2A region.

One poster talked of depth and it sounds like South Pitt will have a huge advantage in that department. I am handicapped because I know nothing about them, so it wouldn't be fair for me to say "The Sweetwater team will crush them"...it's not going to happen.

The 'Cats are in shape, however, so if they can hang in there and play well, I like their chances. I just look forward to getting there and watching two solid programs go at it.

So many are fooled and think because Sweetwater lost so many players, they are a lot weaker this year. Look at it this way, of the 30 plus points the Sweetwater team scored on Oliver Springs last season (the team some posters think have the best defense in the nation), the majority were scored by players that will be on the field this Friday. So the talent is there...putting it all together is another story.

The edge probably goes to South Pitt in my book...but I expect a hard-fought contest.

I believe Sweetwater is in for a long bus ride back to Monroe County Friday night. After seeing South Pittsburg Friday night at the jamboree I have to say this is the best Pirate team since they won the state championship a few years back. They have speed, speed and let me say it one more time for the record SPEED!!!!!!!! Sweetwater has been known to have a little their own but I doubt if they are ready for what they will see Friday. South Pittsburg is a very talented team with 20 seniors. They played their 1st team against Sequatchie County and beat them easily. QB is absolutely terrific and the backs are bigger and stronger this year. Their backs will light your defensive end up in a hurry. If that taliback hits the C gap you will be in for a long night. Power I right 46 and Power I left 47 is the play baby. Get ready because they will run it about it 35 times every football Friday night. They threw the ball a lot more Friday night at the jamboree then they are accustom to doing.

This one might get really ugly in a hurry.

Tank, I believe you are in for a treat Friday night in South Pittsburg. two great teams with two proud traditions to kick-off the 2003 season. That is a tough game to pick right out of the gate. Hope it is a great game and best of luck to both teams, but I will be pulling for the Wildcats to represent Region 2AA.

South Pittsburg is a very talented team with 20 seniors. They played their 1st team against Sequatchie County and beat them easily.

:P What are you talking about Sequatchie & South Pitt hasn't played since last year?? I think you are talking about Bledsoe County in the Jamboree where they won 12-0 but Bledsoe County is in for a long year!