Charging a fee to park at a High School Game?

WHHS1975

I've been to many, many football games in my life, but for the first time ever, when I went to see Beech and Greenbrier play Friday night, I was charged to park in a regular little parking lot, for a non-region high school football game. Now maybe I could understand this if I were parking next to the bleachers or for a playooff game....but for a game that doesn't even "count" on either teams region play?

Several of the fans were talking about it in the bleachers (said they'd never been charged a fee ANYWHERE). Not that I couldn't afford your fee, BUT what was the deal, Beech?

Does any other school charge for parking?

Edited by WHHS1975

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Since when does Riverdale charge to park? I knew that Beech did. I heard it was their region that determined it, but didn't have to pay at any of their other region opponents' schools.

All of you guys are complaining about having to pay a dollar or two for parking... and school systems like in Montgomery County are talking about ending high school sports because of a lack of funding. EVERY DIME YOU GIVE GOES RIGHT BACK INTO THE ATHLETIC PROGRAMS OF THESE SCHOOLS! Give it up and pay your $5.00 at the gate and a couple of dollars to park! Better yet, sit down right now and write out a check of $100.00 to your favorite school athletic program and give it to help the kids!

Guest region4fan

Well when I asked at Beech years ago who got the parking money, they told me the ROTC program did. I know that in years past at Riverdale, the ROTC kids are the ones who lead you to the parking places. Likewise for Smyrna....but they don't charge.

If I'm not mistaken they were charging $5 to park at Brainerd a couple of years ago. Of course I whipped out my press pass and drove right past that high fee.

At Grundy they take a "donation" for parking. It is rotated around with different groups for each game. For the Page game Wrestling got the donations. At the Jamboree the next night it was split between Baseball and Softball.

If the money is helping like that I usually give more than the requested dollar donation. But I'm not giving anybody a demanded $5.

Del.