Boyd Buchanan 24 South Pittsburg 6

krp

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyd Buchanan won this round in a hard-fought contest. The final score ws 24-6. Two fumbles on punt returns gave the Bucs a short field twice and they took advantage of it both times. Other than those two turnovers, it was a pretty even game.

Both defenses were tough and tenacious. South Pitt's defensive front was impressive. There were very few running lanes and little time for Akins to pass. The Bucs defense has been awesome all year. They are so fast! Ryan Beagles is a player. (And he's cerainly not a one-man show.)

The Pirates have a really fine team that will make a lot of noise in the playoffs. It would not surprise me if these teams met again in playoff week three -- that is if they don't stumble along the way.

Edited by supersteve17

Here are what I think were the keys to the game:

First, and foremost, conditioning. Several of he SP kids were having cramping trouble throughout the game. That simply shouldn’t happen this deep into the season, and on a cool night. The Cook kid was done by the middle of the 3rd quarter. He came out on a SP 4th down with a cramp about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter. The coaches insisted in putting him back in a couple of plays later and he was ineffective after that. Conditioning is not lifting weights. Coaches have fallen in love with the weight room. Conditioning is running sprints. Lots of them. When it is hot. Over and over and over again.

Second, Coaching. There was very little coaching on the SP sideline. There was a lot of yelling and screaming. You don’t get in a kids face and yell and scream at him at the top of your lungs in front of the entire team and town when he throws a block, but not as good as you think he should. A little instruction, as opposed to humiliating the kid, would probably have gone a long way. After that would happen, the coaching staff would then spend the next 10 minutes telling the poor kid to calm down, don’t worry about the mistakes etc.

Third, Schedule. It’s nice to schedule a bunch of patsies so you can run up your stats and W/L record. But it really shows when you have to play a good team.

Fourth, play selection. If SP had run the ball all night, instead of insisting on throwing the ball, they would have had a much better chance of winning the game.

Coach Grider is quote in the papers as saying, “I’ve never been so disappointed in one of my football teams. I’m bitterly disappointed in our play.” He needn’t look any farther than the mirror to determine why he, his coaching staff and his players were so unprepared. The boys on that team don’t deserve to be ridiculed by their coach in the paper like that. SP has a very good, very talented football team. They just need similar coaches.

bbsesq,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Congratulations to Boyd. They were better prepared and solid in every position. Maybe this could by Boyd's year. I would be interested to hear from pujo and the Cloudland crew who were there last night.

What about it pujo? Was that you in the Chiefs jacket? I still believe there is a better than average chance Cloudland and one of these two teams will meet.

well as for the comment on cramps and conditioning, I know coach grider and I know sp is in shape. The cramps come with first cool nights. and yes boyd has a great team as does sp, But you cant make mistakes and win..... not with quality teams.. boyd played mistake free sp didnt thus boyd won If sp didnt turn the ball over what a game it would have been .. (if) what a word ... but this game I dont think really means a thing except both teams will be better prepared in the third week of the playoff's... and about the comment of coach grider looking in the mirror im sure he knows if he made mistakes.. but i know this he didnt fumble the football... pirates will bounce back....