DCA Plays Middle School Team in 2nd Half

Guest 4life

DCA played Lighthouse tonight and won 40-0. Lighthouse is a new school and their football team is having a tough time. They lost by about 80 earlier this year and Coach Goodwin knew that so he dressed some 6th, 7th, and 8th graders for tonights game. Some starters didn't even dress for tonights game. Chris Wooden only had 3 carries and two touchdowns. After that, all he did was punt. The starters played about two possessions and after the score was 21-0 he took them out. The Freshmen and a few Sophomores played the 2nd quarter. DCA stopped fielding kicks and started punting on 2nd and 3rd down. Then, in the second half, some players from the Middle School team came out to some big cheers by the Wildcat fans. They didn't score any touchdowns, but actually made a few first downs on the Lighthouse defense. It was pretty funny watching them go up against High Schoolers but the second half was all about fun. The little guys were so nervous but they played well. Some freshmen and sophomores still played on defense because i dont think the middle schoolers could have stopped them. It was still a fun night and it accomplished some goals by resting some injured starters, getting lots of playing time for backups and made the middle school football team's day by letting them go up against a real high school team. I didn't post this to offend any Lighthouse supporters, BTW. They just started their school and i wish them good luck with the building of their program.

Edited by 4life

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the Middle School players are pretty good, too. The QB is supposed to be in the 9th grade, but he should be a starter in the next couple of years. He has a rocket arm and great accuracy. There is some big linemen too.

Any responses to letting Middle Schoolers play? I didnt know that was allowed until tonight. I think it is pretty cool?

DCA played Lighthouse tonight and won 40-0. Lighthouse is a new school and their football team is having a tough time. They lost by about 80 earlier this year and Coach Goodwin knew that so he dressed some 6th, 7th, and 8th graders for tonights game. Some starters didn't even dress for tonights game. Chris Wooden only had 3 carries and two touchdowns. After that, all he did was punt. The starters played about two possessions and after the score was 21-0 he took them out. The Freshmen and a few Sophomores played the 2nd quarter. DCA stopped fielding kicks and started punting on 2nd and 3rd down. Then, in the second half, some players from the Middle School team came out to some big cheers by the Wildcat fans. They didn't score any touchdowns, but actually made a few first downs on the Lighthouse defense. It was pretty funny watching them go up against High Schoolers but the second half was all about fun. The little guys were so nervous but they played well. Some freshmen and sophomores still played on defense because i dont think the middle schoolers could have stopped them. It was still a fun night and it accomplished some goals by resting some injured starters, getting lots of playing time for backups and made the middle school football team's day by letting them go up against a real high school team. I didn't post this to offend any Lighthouse supporters, BTW. They just started their school and i wish them good luck with the building of their program.

I thought that it was illegal to play players younger than the 8th grade in high school. You can only play 8th graders if the junior high and high schools are in the same building.

It is NOT legal unless they are in at least the 8th grade. You are only allowed 5 years of high school eligibility and even then only if the 8th graders are in school on the same campus as the 9-12. I'm sure Coach Goodwin knows this and is not that ignorant of the rule. Especially at 7-0. I would hate to see another CPA.

Hmm.  Maybe it was only eigth graders. Some of them were VERY small though. I'm talking really small. I was sure some of them were younger. Maybe they are just really small.

That sounds illegal to me. I don't know what the penalty is. Maybe the tssaa gave them special permission. Another thing...I think any player that plays during the season has to be on the roster turned in to the tssaa before the season starts. Ask CPA about that one.

Edited by Antwan

God gave us two ears and one mouth in hopes that we would listen twice as much as we talk. No offense 4life, but you should get your facts straight before speaking. I didn't think Coach Goodwin would do something like that. Good luck the rest of the way. I was there in '96 and I hope you can bring it home again.

The rule with pulling up 8th graders is they must be turned into the TSSAA before they can compete in their first varsity game. Their names don't have to be turned in before the beginning of the season. Not all 8th graders decide to come up, therefore, the coaches would not know who to turn in until their final junior high game. I am sure that Coach Goodwin turned the names of his 8th grade players prior to last night.

I don`t like the idea of punting on 2nd and 3rd down. Play the game like it is suppose to be played. Don`t make a mockery of it! If you can play 8th graders that`s great but it would be humiliating to the opposing team IMO to punt on 2nd down. Lighthouse knows the position they are in as a young team. They know it is going to be a rough going, but please don`t patronize a team by punting on 2nd or third down. Heck what`s next? Do we take the snap and just hand it to the lesser team? Play the game like it is suppose to be played.

If your team is so much better then don`t play any starters at all if you are looking for an even game. There is no need to punt before 4th down.