South Doyle's Struggle

patriotghost79

Bigboy,

From what I have read on this board and heard through the grape vine this was not an isolated incident. I have heard that he had been let go from previous positions due to "transgressions" of a geater magnitude. From what I remember, when he was hired an article was released by the Knoxville newspaper that revealed his coaching record. It was dismal at best. Why was he hired in the first place? Why wasn't he released immediately? Judging from this summer's events with the replacement of the entire administration, it comes down to one thing. Intimidation! Once those guys were replaced, he could no longer intimidate the administration so he got canned.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigboy,

From what I have read on this board and heard through the grape vine this was not an isolated incident.  I have heard that he had been let go from previous positions due to "transgressions" of a geater magnitude.  From what I remember, when he was hired an article was released by the Knoxville newspaper that revealed his coaching record.  It was dismal at best.  Why was he hired in the first place?  Why wasn't he released immediately?  Judging from this summer's events with the replacement of the entire administration, it comes down to one thing.  Intimidation! Once those guys were replaced, he could no longer intimidate the administration so he got canned.

How does a average football coach intimidate the administration? Phillip Fulmer may be able to intimidate a high school administrator but not an average person.

Boy, does your momma know your on the computer again?

Edited by onemoretime

Obviously I cannot answer why a person was hired. I have no knowledge at all of his former situations and have only judged him by the time I have known him.

Having seen him interact with both administrations- I don't believe the others were intimidated and the new ones swear they had nothing to do with it- that it came from downtown.

Again- I don't defend any wrongdoings, I just know there were lots of positive aspects that no one is interested in hearing. Swafford has always been "a character" and to some extent it was "part of a show" that got the kids fired up. I disagree with the use of bad language, etc., but I know he is not alone in that respect. I also know how hurt he and his family are by all this and wish him only the best in the future. Will it involve coaching? Who knows... If the records and things are as bad as people say, maybe not. Judging from his South Doyle experience only- I would say yes.

One thing about South Doyle that impresses me... if you look in KnoxPreps Leaderboards for 5A stats the leader in tackles is Branham with 151 total tackles, almost twice as many as the number two. I realize that all schools do not report stats to KnoxPreps, but this is impressive!!!!!He has 86 solo tackles!!! Not bad, not bad!!!!!

Well they're on defense more than anyone. B)

There is NO WAY THAT BRANHAM has 151 tackles. That is averaging 19 tackles a game. Either South Doyle has made a lot of stat mistakes or this kid is an All-American. Then again South Doyle may spend a lot time on defense. There is no way Branham has 151 tackles. Either way the Patriots are gonna give it to South Doyle tonight. They'll just see how good this kid is tonight.

:D Was Swafford bad? Was he good? Have the seniors quit? Should the seniors be benched...play underclassmen and prepare for the future? Did the past administration allow Swafford to run the school/football program? Was Swafford a loose cannon that should have been reigned in? Why didn't the past administration reign him in? Why was most of the past administration relieved of their duty and Swafford remained only to be canned by the new "Powell" connection administration? How have the students/players suffered? How has the community suffered? Why could this not have been done at the end of the season? Will the "Powell" connection administration bring in another Powell boy to be the new coach? Was all this some nefarious plot or just a comedy of errors?

Lots of questions but no answers...An enigma wrapped in a riddle and stuck in a quagmire. Time will tell.

Great coach?  Swafford did less with more talent than any other coach in Knox County over the last couple of years.  He left that program in state of total chaos.

Clark Duncan will find the right coach for the program.

I agree. Duncan will find the right man. I wonder if South Doyle has looked at Doyle graduate Joe Robinette? Joe is the receivers coach at Maryville.He is a very good coach. I don't want him to leave though.

I was at a Maryville practice one day and this guy starts talking to me. This guy is a Maryville teacher that used to teach at South Doyle. He told me that South Doyle has incredible athletes in that school. A lot of them are just walking the hallways. He said there are much more athletes at South Doyle than they are at Maryville. He said at Maryville almost all your athletic kids are going out for football or some sport.

I can remember when Maryville used to play Doyle and South Young a long time ago. Those 2 teams were hard to beat. I thought for sure when those two schools consolidated into South Doyle that South Doyle would be a dominating team.

If South Doyle ever gets the right coach and gets all their athletic kids to go out for football they will be hard to handle.

Edited by REBELRON