How is Maryville Ranked No. 1 in 4A?

Philster043

anspa, That was a great post. If I could give you a good mark I would.

You are right. If this forum was around in 1993-1995 these guys that are crying about Maryville now would have been crying about Cleveland.

I didn't cry about Cleveland. I just wanted Maryville to get better. I wanted Maryville to be like Cleveland. Cleveland had a former Maryville assistant(Benny Monroe) as their head coach.Losing Benny Monroe hurt Cleveland.

When Cleveland went to the Clinic Bowls from 93-95 I was for them all the way. I still think the 93 team was the best I have seen.

Another thing you are right about. This will not last forever. I know that myself. I remember when Maryville dominated the 70s. At that time I thought they would keep on winning state titles. Well, The 80s came and they got a little worse each year and other teams got better. In 1980 Ted Wilson left. That was a huge loss. Lynn Brown quit coaching in 1982 and Don Story quit in 1987. John Olive was a good coach but he had no assistants. When Tim Hammontree took over he helped right the ship. Hiring David Ellis and George Quarles was the greatest thing Hammontree did. When Quarles took over and some of Hammontree's assistants went with him, George hired Wayne Thompson,Jim Gaylor,Joe Robinette,Mike White and Joe Pinkerton. Every coach on Maryville's staff is a great coach. All of them could be a head coach. When some of those coaches do leave it could hurt Maryville's program. If all of them stay awhile Maryville will keep on winning.They may not win championships every year but they will be tough.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose is apparently in a cream-puff region. Maryville, while not in a dominant region, still has some big games to pull off. All the talking will turn to action on Dec. 7... And Placall, what did you mean by athleticall? Did you even go to high school?

why would you say Melrose is in a cream puff division? Statistically Region 8 4A is the toughest league in the state in Div. I go to either Earl Nall or Sonny Moore. Take every team in the league, and average the league together for one score, Region 8 is the toughest league reguardless of class

3 different teams in region 8 have won state titles in the last 4 years while Maryville is the king of the rost in their league.

Please try to be more factual