How is Maryville Ranked No. 1 in 4A?

Philster043

The newspapers (specifically the Knoxville News-Sentinel and the Maryville Daily Times) said that Maryville was ranked #1 in Class 4A. So I was looking for who were number 2 and 3 (Central was supposedly #4) and in all the polls I've looked at so far (Earl Nall, Massey, etc.), it seemed that Melrose is now actually the number one team and Maryville is in second --- especially after Melrose beat Memphis East 35-0 the other week.

So what are the newspapers going by?

Maryville should be No. 1 again in these polls though, after beating Central last night and also by virtue of being the only undefeated team in 4A right now. It looks like everybody else in 4A has at least one loss.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brothers15 - I asked the same question to a cal preps guy about why Christian Brothers was number one in the state and MBA was very low. He said "christian brothers is gonna whip MBA. Just wait and see" Well, we know what happened. You don't base polls on speculation only, you also have to base polls on exactly what a team has accomplished. Maryville has the longest winning streak in the state, won 3 championships in a row, and just beat the #4 team. Even if people think that Melrose has a better shot of a state championship than Maryville, you have to give Maryville the number one rank for what they have accomplished thus far (the only undefeated team in 4a).

First of all, I'm not saying that Maryville shouldn't be ranked #1 as of now. I'm just saying they won't be after everything is said and done. Congratulations to Maryville on their 30th whatever win....maybe someday they will put that streak on the line against some real teams like McCallie, who if I'm not mistaken, bulldozed over that Knox Central team. Maryville better turn up the heat because Melrose is A LOT better than McCallie.

Edited by brothers15

First of all, I'm not saying that Maryville shouldn't be ranked #1 as of now. I'm just saying they won't be after everything is said and done. Congratulations to Maryville on their 30th whatever win....maybe someday they will put that streak on the line against some real teams like McCallie, who if I'm not mistaken, bulldozed over that Knox Central team. Maryville better turn up the heat because Melrose is A LOT better than McCallie.

Has McCallie played Melrose? If not how can you even compare them. Common opponents are one way to compare teams but Central played McCallie several weeks ago and a lot can happen since then. And I get tired of people saying Maryville has not played this team or that team. McCallie is a private school and really those type of comments are suppose to be on another thread. People like you just want to diminish what Maryville has accomplished and want to throw all these other teams up to them. If I were you i would be worrying about Hillsboro before ordaining Melrose state champs in October. I could care less what we are ranked right now. It means nothing.