How is Maryville Ranked No. 1 in 4A?

Philster043

REBELRON,

How is Jeff Smith's son playing? Is he division 1 talent?

His son Jeffery 6'1 240lbs junior will more than likely be a D2 recruit.He will go somewhere like Carson Newman will be my guess. You never know though. He could grow a few more inches and he will get bigger,stronger and faster.I expect a big senior year from him in 2004.

Jeff has 2 more sons. Josh is a sophomore on the team. He is a pretty good sized boy also. He is 5'10 225lbs. He plays a lot on JV.

From what I hear his youngest son is the best athlete in the family. Justin played on the undefeated Maryville Rebs midget team this year. Long time Reb coach Don Sentell said this was his best team ever. From what I hear Justin is a stud.

Edited by REBELRON

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville the De La Salle of the Southeast? Not even close. If that were to be true Maryville would actually have to play someone good.

I am sick and tired of your negative remarks on Maryville. I don't bash your Memphis Christian Brothers team.

You saying that Maryville doesn't play good teams is a slap in the face of Hillsboro,Morristown West,Knox Central,Cleveland,Memphis East and Alcoa fans.

I guess Elizabethon was terrible in 1998? That team had former Vol and Current Dallas Cowboy Jason Witten on that team. His older brother Ryan was a starting receiver at Va Tech. He started on the 99 Va Tech national runner up team led by Michael Vick.

I guess Red Bank was terrible in 2001 with Gerald Riggs? I know that Chatt McCallie(Super 7 champ) and Maryville(2001 4A champ) beat Red Bank. Maryville beat Red Bank much worse than McCallie did.

None of the Maryville fans in this forum said Maryville was another De La Salle.

brothers15 , arn't you a coach ? geez it looks like a coach could appreciate a well coached team and have a little respect . i could just imagine coach quarles getting on here and slamming another team !!! hahahah!!! would never happen , he has way too much class and respect for other coaches

No I'm not a coach, I'm a player. I'm not bashing anyone, I am simply stating the obvious facts: Maryville doesn't play a tough schedule. I didn't even say Maryville had a bad team. I am only suggesting that Maryville back up their talent with a battle-tested schedule. However, I will pose another question. Since when do past seasons victories and records matter this year? And where do you get off thinking I am a coach?

Statistics 101 - Ok guys, which would you rather have??? A one in seven shot (strictly by the numbers) every year of winning state or a one in sixty shot? Come on, for any team to win 4 out of 5 state championships, they have to be good. Really good. It would be fair to say Maryville didn't play anybody if they lost every year in round one or two. But give it a break. Last year's class of seniors dressed out for 58 games in 4 years. Pretty impressive. Some kids only dress out for forty. What more does Maryville have to do? What more can they do? They always win (well, 49 out of the last 50). Christian Brothers is on what? A 3 game streak? Two games? But your right. Maryville stinks.

REBELRON,

How is Jeff Smith's son playing? Is he division 1 talent?

His son Jeffery 6'1 240lbs junior will more than likely be a D2 recruit.He will go somewhere like Carson Newman will be my guess. You never know though. He could grow a few more inches and he will get bigger,stronger and faster.I expect a big senior year from him in 2004.

Jeff has 2 more sons. Josh is a sophomore on the team. He is a pretty good sized boy also. He is 5'10 225lbs. He plays a lot on JV.

From what I hear his youngest son is the best athlete in the family. Justin played on the undefeated Maryville Rebs midget team this year. Long time Reb coach Don Sentell said this was his best team ever. From what I hear Justin is a stud.

Thanks for the info!

Brothers 15 was on the Milan/Covington thread last week bashing us also. He was rambling on about how we couldn't play with the Memphis teams. BLAH BLAH BLAH. He's like a broken record.

I wasn't trying to be offensive guys. But I will reiterate what I said before. When does last season win you a state championship this year. Last year's CBHS team would have gotten killed with its schedule this year. But you know what, it is a different team. If Maryville's past won them a state championship, then Melrose shoudn't even show up. But the last time I checked it out, that's not the way it works. You guys have to stop dwelling on you past laurels, they will earn you nothing in December. Melrose doesn't know anything about Maryville's 35 game win-streak. The only thing they know is they want a ring and they are ready to play for it. Simple as that. And CBHS' win streak was snapped by a nationally-ranked MBA team. When's the last time Maryville could boast of playing a team of that caliber???????????? And before you are too quick to answer, NO! Knoxville Central is not that caliber of a team.

Edited by brothers15

brothers15, there's a lot of football to be played. You're right in saying that past records don't mean anything this year. But Maryville has proven to be a consistent contender. Who knows, either Melrose or Maryville may not make to the 'Boro. If I were Melrose, I would worry about getting past Hillsboro this year. Something they didn't do at home last year. And if the play Hillsboro this year it will be in Nashville.

We don't worry about anything but winning the 4A state championship. I'm not into national rankings and someone's opinion. Plus the rankings mean nothing. Ask Trinity this year or BA last year when MBA upset them. It's all settled on the field.

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

my bad brothers15 , i thought you said something about being a coach one time , must of mistaken you with someone else . i understand more where your coming from now that i realize your still a kid . as you get older you'll probably have more respect for a team that has had the success that MARYVILLE has had .

No I'm not a coach, I'm a player. I'm not bashing anyone, I am simply stating the obvious facts: Maryville doesn't play a tough schedule. I didn't even say Maryville had a bad team. I am only suggesting that Maryville back up their talent with a battle-tested schedule. However, I will pose another question. Since when do past seasons victories and records matter this year? And where do you get off thinking I am a coach?

Maybe you are not trying to be offensive but whether you know it or not you are coming across as a smart ***. But anyway how tough is Melrose's schedule? You have all the answers so give us the won loss record of Melrose's opponents to date. I know you are probably tired of hearing about Maryville. I understand that i really do. I guess a lot of people are. But I get really tired of people saying Maryville does not play anyone. They have six region games three in county games and they play morristown west. They have had an run of success and now they are suppose to have VA Tech and Miami on their schedule or they are not legitimate. That kind of talk usually comes from folks in middle and west tennessee who think football is so much tougher in that area even though we have beaten Memphis East, and Hillsboro twice in the past three years. I don't think anyone is saying Maryville has the title locked up this year. But since you brought this up about the weak schedule let's hear it. What is the combined won/loss record of Memphis Melrose's opponents this season. You slammed Maryville, now let's hear about them. And by the way who do you play for?

I was looking trying to find schedules and results from previous years but couldnt come across anything, but I did find that Maryville is 26-2 in the playoffs in the past six years. Anyone know where I could find year by year records of teams?

If you go to the TSSAA website they have link for playoff history and you can pick the team.