Joe Biddle

5eagleball

let's phrase it this way: these are two very good teams, and there can be no doubt that in an evenly matched game like this one, neither team can expect to win despite bad calls...the debate we should be having is "why on earth did Flatt call a qb draw from the 10 with no time outs?" A bad snap is poor execution that no coach can overcome; calling a qb draw in that situation is inexplicable...

I have to say, this is all "deja vu all over again," as last week I relived here in Michigan the 2001 UM-MSU game, when MSU won in an almost identical matter...but their debate was that "spartan bob" was home-cookin' the clock...doesn't seem to be the case here...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the snap was bad, but you can count up other plays that could have made a difference. The Ref's non-call was Bad and I don't have a dog in the fight I just call'em like I see'em.

Calling the way we see them is important - calls by the referees and bad snaps by long-snappers. The bad snap happened before the apparent bad call. I stand by my comment. A good snap, a good punt and there would be no discussion about official calls or no calls at the end of that game. The replay Monday evening will likely show that time had expired; the replay will MOST DEFINITELY show a botched snap and punt attempt. Referees don't win or lose games. Games are won and lost between the first quarter kickoff and the horn that sounds the end of regulation - or, in this case at the end of overtime - play. Also, a better snap and kick in overtime may have also sent the game into a second overtime period. Perhaps the MBA faithful should focus more on special teams play and less of officiating!

Wes, you honestly think that had MBA gone on to win in overtime we wouldn't be having this discussion? I beg to differ.

I'm over it, considering there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. What keeps occasionally dragging me back, however, are the repeated attempts to justify the call and the refusal to admit that it was absolutely horrific, incompetent officiating.

I have seen few attempts on the part of BA fans to justify a bad call. I have not seen attempts by anyone from MBA to admit deficiencies in their kicking game. Perhaps the replay Monday evening will show a bad call as well as a REALLY bad punting and kicking game by the Big Red. Debating the call will not propel MBA to another championship; a concentrated effort to improve special teams play may very well make a difference in the Clinic Bowl provided MBA gets by their first opponent.

let's phrase it this way: these are two very good teams, and there can be no doubt that in an evenly matched game like this one, neither team can expect to win despite bad calls...the debate we should be having is "why on earth did Flatt call a qb draw from the 10 with no time outs?" A bad snap is poor execution that no coach can overcome; calling a qb draw in that situation is inexplicable...

I have to say, this is all "deja vu all over again," as last week I relived here in Michigan the 2001 UM-MSU game, when MSU won in an almost identical matter...but their debate was that "spartan bob" was home-cookin' the clock...doesn't seem to be the case here...

Flatt didn't call a QB Draw. According to a BA player on the field at the time, Tyler Griffin didn't see anyone open and made the decision to take it himself.

Wes, you honestly think that had MBA gone on to win in overtime we wouldn't be having this discussion? I beg to differ.

I'm over it, considering there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. What keeps occasionally dragging me back, however, are the repeated attempts to justify the call and the refusal to admit that it was absolutely horrific, incompetent officiating.

I have seen few attempts on the part of BA fans to justify a bad call. I have not seen attempts by anyone from MBA to admit deficiencies in their kicking game. Perhaps the replay Monday evening will show a bad call as well as a REALLY bad punting and kicking game by the Big Red. Debating the call will not propel MBA to another championship; a concentrated effort to improve special teams play may very well make a difference in the Clinic Bowl provided MBA gets by their first opponent.

Very well said. Our opinions are so similar you'd think we knew each other. :P:lol:

rbtenn, you're exactly right. The referees may or may not have missed the call at regulation's end, but if MBA didn't miss that play or if they had won it in OT, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The bottom line is that this game did not consist of just one play, no matter what people on this board contend.

Thanks, WesVols. I was at the game and shocked when the officials signaled the kick was good to put the game into overtime. I thought time had expired and the replay may very well support that fact. However, the referees did not cause the bad snap and eventual first down for BA deep in MBA territory. Referees sometimes make bad calls; long-snappers sometime make bad snaps. This game had both. And, there is not doubt coaches Rutledge and Flatt would change some play decisions if given the chance to do so. It was a great game involving two great schools and a great night for football in middle Tennessee.

I have not seen attempts by anyone from MBA to admit deficiencies in their kicking game.

Wrong.

I specifically said yesterday...and I quote..."All we had to do was get off a decent long snap and we wouldn't be having this discussion." It could also be mentioned that the snap before that one rolled back to the punter (that's probably why the last one was high....overcompensation).

But, it doesn't matter. What happened...happened. Yes, we need to play for 48 minutes, but the officials need to officiate for 48 minutes, too.

As for the OT field goal attempt, I have a hard time placing too much criticism there. That's the hardest kick in the game.....short kick, right hash, right-footed kicker. Very tough kick.

BigRedBud, Thanks for the reply and for providing your quote from yesterday. I had not read your post from yesterday. I simply feel like too much emphasis is being placed on the officiating with little admission of crummy special teams play by the Big Red. It's easy to blame officials; it's more difficult to admit our own team's deficiencies that led to a disappointing loss. Thanks again for your comments.

I think anyone would agree that a game like the one this past Friday night needs an encore in three weeks. I hope it happens. The whole state would salivate for such a rematch. However, both BA and MBA need to take care of business first: BA has to go to CBHS (I think BA's earlier loss may serve as great motivation), and MBA will have a tough game against either a MUS or McCallie team looking to make up for prior beatings in Nashville.