McMinn County -vs- Science Hill

TribeFan

They have a good defense. They have a good quarterback and running back. Kicking game is strong as well. When DB played them, they blitzed the hilltoppers and caused alot of hurried passes and confusion. They can get the big pass plays and they can run. Their biggest threat to DB was their long ball.

From what we have heard in Athens SH likes to pound the football right @ you. When we played them in the early 90's that had good athletes and were well coached. We played them again in 2000 in Athens and it seemed their program had gone down hill a bit since '93. But know it seems they are on upward swing again. They appear to have a good defense only allowing 10 pts. per game but in two of their losses they had 65 points scored on them.

Is this a case of they have not played many quality teams or did their defense just have two bad games againist two good football teams?

I think SH was not playing up to their potential against DB. DB did play an excellent game, but SH was a little shell shocked. I know DB is the better team, but if they were to play again it would be closer. Against Jeff Co I know SH had a couple of dropped passes that could have made a difference. Against DB they did not click, and against Jeff Co they played ok, but not up to their potential. I think they may be due a good game since they will be hungry for a win coming off a loss and also to show everyone that they can make a better showing. SH could be a dangerous team right now.

Science Hill has good size across the front #77 is their best lineman (both sides of the ball) They have been able to outspeed teams in their 8 victories, but against Jeff Co. and D-B, the Topper speed was inferior to the Pats and the Indians. They like to run out of the "I" with Patton #5 at the tailback...one big key for their offense is they are supposed to have Tom Vanthornout #6 back to rotate at the tail with Patton...both have good speed, Vanthornout has a better attitude. They want to go downfield with QB #9, Joslin, looking downfield to his younger brother #8 and to #22 Hunter Thomas, two good receivers, run good routes, have good hands, tough kids, not great speed. If WRs covered, Joslin checks down to his TE #10 Anthony Barcel or his FB #48. D-B did a real good job of eliminating his checkdown receivers, which forced him to reload and attempt passes to his wideouts and he got picked off.

Defensively they run three down linemen and two stand-up DEs. DEs have both rush and cover responsibilities; #10 stands out as DE, good feet, & 6'7". #42 is real solid defensively, as is #8. The Toppers play assignment football, what I would almost term it a flex front or a zone front, holding their ground and waiting for the RBs to get to them. #77 is strong and has good speed for a big guy.

Thay are a good team who beat the teams they were better than and on two given Fridays, they were not better than Jeff Co. and D-B (and I do think they played to their potential , just so did the Patriots and the Indians).

Roll Tribe Roll

I agree with your comment about SH being a dangerous team but I alos think SD is also a team everyone needs to keep their eye on.

As for SH, they are a good football team and will be a challange for McMinn but since the game is in Athens and the cherokees are 5-0 @ home this year I give the nod to McMinn. This one could go down to the wire.

TribeFan is right about the homefield advantage being the deciding factor. The Cherokees will not lose @ home. The seniors stepped up and proved that on senior night against William Blount coming back from being down I believe 21-7 @ halftime. I've gotta look to the best senior class @ McMinn in years to carry the tribe through the playoffs, and believe me they are NOT DONE YET! Go Tribe! Go Trojans!

TribeFan is right about the homefield advantage being the deciding factor. The Cherokees will not lose @ home. The seniors stepped up and proved that on senior night against William Blount coming back from being down I believe 21-7 @ halftime. I've gotta look to the best senior class @ McMinn in years to carry the tribe through the playoffs, and believe me they are NOT DONE YET! Go Tribe! Go Trojans!

1ST off let me say that I hope that McMinn does great during the postseason. That being said I would have to disagree with you on the "greatest senior class in years" statement. In my opinion it's a tie between the class of 99 and 2001. The 99 team didn't have that much talent but won alot of games on heart alone. In my opinion you don't judge high school senior classes by the # of scholarships that are handed out, you judge them on leadership and character, both on and off the field. Don't get me wrong I think that this years seniors are great, but not the "greatest". I would also like to take a minute to congradulate Coach Hutchins and his staff for the year they have had. He took over one of the hardest jobs in coaching, taking over for a legend. He has kept the winning tradition up, which is hard to do for a first year head coach. My hats off to you coach and your assistants, good luck in the playoffs.

This should be a very exciting game. I have heard that Science Hill has a lot of team speed and was difficult to pass against. McMinn on the other hand has protected its homefield advantage winning all 5 games there. Derrick Vestal has been leading his team at quarterback. Maurice does it all. Makes big interceptions on defense, runs for touchdowns, and catches them as well. Brandon Diaz runs hard, and Dustin Misalps has got some of the best hands I have ever saw. Good luck to both teams.

I would like to give some respect where it is do. i wanna drop the name of the most consistent o-lineman Brad Frank. He is the best Center around. He never takes off a play and he is always gettin a great push up front. He is a great leader on and off the field and exemplifies true senior leadership. I hope he continues his excellent play on into the ballgame tomorrow and helps McMinn prevail once again.

Well game day has finally arrived and here is the words of wisdom everyone has been waiting for from the one and only TRIBEFAN.

First for SH, they are a good fundamentally sound football team that is avg. giving up 10 pts. per game on defense and avg. 18 pts. per game on offense. They are a patient football that will not beat themselves. I would say they have average speed and good size all around, one of there strong points is athey have an excellent place kicker but not so good on covering punts and KO's (several punts blocked this year). Overall this is a good sound football team and McMinn will have to play well to earn a "W".

For McMinn they are playing about as well as anybody I know right know, they seem to rise to the occasion each game especially after the bad loss @ OR. They have excellent team speed and good athletes @ the skilled positions. At QB, #2 Vestal is by far the most improved player on the team from last year, he does what it takes to get the job done( sometimes some dumb things but all & all he gets it done) . On special teams they are OK and seem to be getting better as the season began to end. The team as a whole is explosive and has alot of ability as long as they play as a TEAM.

This should be a good high school football game!!!!!!