GA over turns officials call

Ultimatefan

Tonight on Count Down To Signing Day, The 2 anchors told a story of the GA Athletic Association reviewing tape of a game and overturning a call by an official, and replaying the last 11 minutes of the game. I didn't catch the details of which teams and were they played, but I'm sure more of this will come out in the near future. Wow! What a can of worms, now everyone will want a "do over" every time a call goes against them.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Georgia has some of the dumbest high school rules I've ever heard of for football. I'm not 100% clear, but if two GHSSA teams are tied at the end of the game, the team that was closest to scoring on their last drive wins the game, or something to that effect. Also, there was a 3 way tie for a GISA region championsip, and all of the teams had to play a quarter against each other the following monday on a neutral site. the winner was the champion. so basically the kids played friday night, monday afternoon, and then again friday night in the playoffs.

I'm not 100% clear, but if two GHSSA teams are tied at the end of the game, the team that was closest to scoring on their last drive wins the game, or something to that effect. Also, there was a 3 way tie for a GISA region championsip, and all of the teams had to play a quarter against each other the following monday on a neutral site.

What a doozy of a rule that tie game scenario would be! I tried to find the rules on the Georgia High School Association site, but haven't found it yet. The closest thing I saw stated that if a championship game was tied, the two teams were declared co-champions, another ridiculously odd rule in my opinion.

Ken Massey, who does a computer poll for TN teams, also does GA, and his data contains ties (Swainsboro is undefeated at 6-0-2), so I'm not sure this is correct, but I suppose nothing would surprise me.

Also, in looking over their playoffs, any team that has to play the Monday "mini-game," as they call it, gets a reprieve until Saturday if they so desire.

Strange, strange, strange.

The overtime rule in Georgia at least through last season was two 5-minute halves. If no one scored, the team coming closest was awarded one "penetration" point and thus won the game. Last year, it was mandatory for all games between same-class teams, but now has been narrowed only to region games.

As for the "shootout," it's also a common feature in Florida. Tennessee's equivalent (a 10-yardline shootout) has never to my knowledge actually happened, but either last year or the year before, the "playoff possibilities" sheet did include cases where it could have. Still, almost anything's better than tossing a coin....

The kicker in this situation as I read the newpaper account is that the coach argued with the officals about the call and between all of the officals at the game they got it wrong...or did just one offical get it wrong. The coaches only recourse is to file a complaint. Since this game apparrently had playoff implications they had to review it. Personally I think they should have reviewed the tape and declared the call did not have an inpack on the outcome of the game. This doesn't make alot of sence to me anyway. I would think that a personal foul that gets a player ejected would be an automatic first down anyway.