Are there TOO MANY TEAMS in the playoffs?

tee1up

I'm just curious what the consensus is on this topic?

Personally, I think there are a few too many...

I have a hard time understanding what a team that is 1-9 or 2-8 did that warrants a chance to knock off a team that has had a winning season...

Also, it seems that Bowl Games between local area schools (that don't make the playoffs), especially those that are rivals could be a big draw for fans and added excitement for communities...

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are way to many teams in the playoffs. We need total public-private split. And go back to three classes or four public at the most and two private classes. I remember what it used to take to make the playoffs. Only two teams from each district. Its no big deal to even make the playoffs anymore. What is a team with a losing record donig in the playoffs anyway? Our system is a joke. It really is in some regions all you have to do is win one region game because your region only has five teams? 1-9 joe blow makes the playoffs by beating 0-10 blow joe. Give me a break. We need a change.

While it is a shame that team with losing records are able to make the playoffs, you will NEVER hear me complain about an extra week or two of football!! The number of teams (32) is fine, but something should be done about region alignment to ensure that good teams make the postseason and bad ones don't. 6-4 Coalfield misses out while fellow 1A school Cosby (1-9) gets a shot because their region only has 5 teams. The problem isn't the number of teams in the playoffs, it's inconsistency regarding the makeup of the regions.

There are way to many teams in the playoffs. We need total public-private split. And go back to three classes or four public at the most and two private classes. I remember what it used to take to make the playoffs. Only two teams from each district. Its no big deal to even make the playoffs anymore. What is a team with a losing record donig in the playoffs anyway? Our system is a joke. It really is in some regions all you have to do is win one region game because your region only has five teams?  1-9 joe blow makes the playoffs by beating 0-10 blow joe. Give me a break. We need a change.

When the district system was in place, there was a time when 1 team from each district made the playoffs. There were teams especially in Class A that had one loss in their class and didn't make the playoffs, now there are teams with one win!

I agree with nore than 4 classes. Region Champs and Runner up make playoffs with Runner up playing an at large team in the first round. When a 10-0 team plays a 1-9 teams play it really puts the number 1 seed at risk of unnecessary injuries.

Its also lame to have a "playoff" for a class with only 7 teams.

32 teams from a class made sense when there were 3 classes. The season is played to see who DOESN'T make the playoffs. Lets be politically corect and give everyone a gold ball!!! :)

Edited by rlh

The private league needs an overhaul ten times worse than the public. Congrats, You just won the super 7 Disrtict....... I mean State Title.

And yet the league is one of the toughest in the state. I just hope you're not blaming the private schools for playing in a league of 7 teams...we didn't put ourselves in that plight!

Just drop the # 4 seed from each region and take the top 3. Rarely do the #4 teams compete, whereas the #3 teams are usually decent. Leave the brackets like they are and give the #1 seed a first round bye. Its their reward for winning the region. It drops the teams from 32 to 24, and still gives us 5 rounds of games. It is 8 fewer games, so the T$$AA wont go for it, but it would make the playoffs a little more of an accomplishment, and it would eliminate most 1-9 or 2-8 teams. Just a thought.

The private league needs an overhaul ten times worse than the public. Congrats, You just won the super 7 Disrtict....... I mean State Title.

And yet the league is one of the toughest in the state. I just hope you're not blaming the private schools for playing in a league of 7 teams...we didn't put ourselves in that plight!

Prior to the split Brentwood Academy was the Power!

MBA never won a State in the playoffs, Baylor had 1, MUS had 1, Father Ryan had 1, cbhs had 1. MBA got knocked out by Gallatin several times and Central-Merry, and Germantown.

Marion County beat MUS in MUS's last trip to the finals in 1990. Marion also beat Brentwod Academy in 92 and Cleveland beat them in 93, then Haywood County beat them in 1994. The BA won the last 2 before the split. The split was really because of BA. The other 6 of the super 7 were quite for decades. They are good programs but they aren't a Mecca. They are some big private schools that give aid to athletes.

Div II A : This group doesn't scare anyone doens't have a single title among them prior to the split.

Div II AA: BGA is the only pre split power...and the only team with a pre split State title. Knox Catholic was competive at times.

So, the 7 team playoffs is lame.

CPA, Boyd and DCA are better than any in IIA and IIAA and some of the Super 7

TSSAA has made a mess out of things! B)

Edited by rlh

It does seem to crazy when teams that are 1-9 make the playoffs, but it also seems crazy that teams in private leagues play two playoffs and make the championship game. I am not at all against private schools. They are the strongest top teams in the state.

If you take the 5A leagues away then you will have teams that may have up to 400 students more than the schools they are playing. I can remember when we only had AAA and that only allowed the top two teams to go. Every year the school that won it had 1700 -2000 students. Most of them are in 5A now. I know that some teams in 3A and 4A would have a hard time playing teams that 5A. Also It would kill you rivalry games because every region would have to have 10 teams in it. That would be a deathwish for teams that are not having success. The financial end would kill football.