Gallatin vs TSSAA

GWAVE1

Wavelink,

Update your forms?? Try updating the information the school was given by the parent(s)!! There has never been a problem with the forms, especially when the CORRECT information is put on there (again what was told by the parent(s)!! They have worked every day for many years now without any problems!

Don't blame a piece of paper because Gallatin was lied to by a kid and his parent(s)!!

The system has no flaws in it at all! People just try to get around the system and when they get caught, they cry about the system. Coach T is exactly right, a new can of worms would be opened up. It is just like in society, if people would do right in the first place, there would be no need for any laws.

Remember, the rule was made by the schools for the schools!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again the GOV is going to set the record straight. What has been lost in this situation is the intent of the rule, the role of the tssaa, and the responsibility of Gallatin High School. First, the rule's intent is to control the movement of student atheletes from one school to another for athletic puposes. The role of the tssaa is to monitor and administer the rules when appropriate. It is not the role of the tssaa to enforce the rules, that is the job of the High school. The schools have to start enforcing the rules and stop trying to circumvent them. Gallitan high school has the responsibility to make sure that the move was not for athletic purposes. If Gallatin doesn't like the rule they have the ability to change it by proposal as does any other high school that is a member of tssaa. I see it as Gallatin trying to circumvent the rule by manipulating the situation in order to get this player elegible to play football. When common sense tells you he is moving for athletic purposes.Enough said!!!!

Here is something Gallatin should try, quit crying about the whole situation, you got caught cheating. Of course all the Gallatin people will claim that they didn't do anything wrong, but the TSSAA ruled against you and you are now sitting at home. Gallatin believes this ruled should be changed just for them, well you can't always have your way now can you?

I have been reading with interest this entire scenario. I do have a question and I am not looking to make this a public vs. private issue. If the kid in question had changed schools and was now going to a private school would he be ineligible there? I know there are kids going to private schools that live in other school districts but yet are eligible to play, why should that part be any different?

Let me rephrase my last post: IT IS MY OPINION that the eligibility forms need to be updated. (You do not have to share that opinion)

Yodude, the information on the form WAS and IS accurate!! It is my position to stand by this kid and his family. If you have news that contradicts this, please let us know... all of Gallatin would like to hear it!! I just don't think it is fair to call them "liars" or "cheaters".

Evidently, a federal judge agreed that we have a strong case. I know going up against the TSSAA wont't be easy and that aside from BA, noone has won against them, however, there's always a first.

The main thing now is to try and make sure this same thing does not happen to another school. Who knows, next time, it could be yours!

Good luck to all of the remaining teams in the playoffs & we'll see ya next year!!

I agree that the forms do not ask the correct information. The answers on the forms are correct. The info. provided or taken to prove him ineligible was not on the form.

Coacht, 82cat, or anyone else, answer me this. If the form does not get the proper information from the parent or school(like this situation) should we have gotten a hardship form filled out? If so why do we not use only hardship forms? It seems that the system would work then. Cost more but lawsuits like these would be less.

Like it or not Shipley and his family have a lawsuit. Explained by the lawyer Joe Thompson on WHIN 1010. The Sumner County Board of Education has a lawsuit pending a vote Nov18. Because of the monetary issues I look for this to continue as well. Because Shipley did not recieve due process as guareenteed under the 14 Amendment it appears that the TSSAA did do something wrong. The judge was pretty stearn in the TSSAA not adhearing to changing their By-laws as he reguested that they do. Why we did not get the injunction was also explained on the radio. Seems that Glencliff would have suffered harm having practiced all week. And I believe that was fair. I know that having won against Hendersonville guarenteeing us a spot harm was done by this ruling. I expect some damage awards to be headed our way.

I do not know of any specific cases against the TSSAA other than ours and Brentwood Aca. But I do know that several have been awarded to individuals and member schools of other states. I see no diferent in this case.

Like it or not Gallatin has a case. The Federal Judge and the 14 Amendment say so!!

I've been reading all of these posts for several weeks and I can't believe some of what I've read. You must have rules and forms and these rules and forms have been around a long time. The secret is the bonefide address change. The TSSAA stated that the boy had dual residency in both locations and since he already had an athletic record iat the previous school, that was his legal residence. This is how the rule has been for over a decade. The reason it came up years ago is because some metro kids tried to live with one parent for football, then they switched to their other parent for basketball season. The rule is designed to prevent this sort of switching between parents for athletic purposes. You simply can't have a dual residence and there is no other way to do it! Now, was there an intent to fool anyone in this case, only the parents and child really know for sure. I don't care what the federal courts have to say, we can't operate this association without this rule, unless we do away with residency rules all together, and if we do that we had better get ready for an all out recruiting war because that is what will happen in Nashville, Knox County, the Chattanooga area, Madison County, Williamson County, and Shelby County. Folks rules are established for a purpose and we can't ask every possible question on the stupid form. Theres enough information there and someone from the coaching staff should have sent a letter explaining the whole situation. I know of some coaches who do this sort of thing. I don't care one way or another but I do get tired of people threatening to sue the TSSAA. Everytime there is one of these lawsuits it hurts football everywhere.

For what it's worth I am going to have to "abandon" my fellow Wave fans on this one.

Dual residency is the key. Someone said earlier that it is up to the high school to make sure the rules are inforced. I have to say that I agree. Everyone on the Gallatin staff knew what the possible penalty for having inaccurate information could be. For whatever reason they accepted the information on good faith. That bothers me. 30 seniors just lost their final year due to some poor judgement. I have no doubt that Gallatin did not intend to deceive or break any rules. But, at the same time, they did not go far enough in ensuring that everything was done correctly and fairly.

The fact that the kid was held out during the first two games (Travis Rose was not held out-he was also a transfer) tells me that they were well aware of the punitive damages for playing an ineligible player. Forms cannot be blamed. If all the right questions were not asked then TSSAA is not to blame.

I think this pans out to be a lot like Alabama's situation with boosters. No recruiting was done and nothing unethical was done by the coaching staff our administration. But at the same time they didn't exactly make sure everything was being done properly.

It is heartbreaking for the kids. I really feel for them. But I don't like the message that when something doesn't go your way-SUE! I fully support Gallatin's right to make an arguement (and they got that right in the form of an appeal- which the lost due to the information that McGavock presented concerning dual residency and siblings). But the lawsuit I do not support. I am a football fan. I am not a fan of Law and Order.

Good luck to GHS next year.

Good luck to the rest of the teams still trying to get to the 'Boro.

And good luck to the Sumner Co. tax payers who will most definetly have to foot the lawyers' bill.

It amazes me how quick people are to condemn. Let's all suppose, just for a moment, that the kid and his mom told the truth. I know it is a stretch to believe that couples ACTUALLY separate and ACTUALLY get divorced. But if people really did that, then what. How long does a kid have to sit out because of family matters? You cannot have a system that kills a program no matter what they do. Gallatin waited for approval, sat the kid out, and got hammered for answering every question completely correctly. It was a no win situation. What if they sat the kid out all season and then he sued Gallatin for costing him a year of eligibility. My parents own 20 houses in four cities. If my parents had separated and I had to move into one of those other houses, that is really none of the tssaa's business other than to prove I actually live there. This whole mess is in the courts now and no matter how much we "speculate" none of us knows the actual truth. Just give my GreenWave the respect they deserve. The tssaa may be guilty and the kid in question may be, but Gallatin is blameless in all of this. Wait til next year to bad mouth us when were beating people unmercifully to get this bad taste out of our mouth.

For what it's worth I am going to have to "abandon" my fellow Wave fans on this one.

Dual residency is the key. Someone said earlier that it is up to the high school to make sure the rules are inforced. I have to say that I agree. Everyone on the Gallatin staff knew what the possible penalty for having inaccurate information could be. For whatever reason they accepted the information on good faith. That bothers me. 30 seniors just lost their final year due to some poor judgement. I have no doubt that Gallatin did not intend to deceive or break any rules. But, at the same time, they did not go far enough in ensuring that everything was done correctly and fairly.

The fact that the kid was held out during the first two games (Travis Rose was not held out-he was also a transfer) tells me that they were well aware of the punitive damages for playing an ineligible player. Forms cannot be blamed. If all the right questions were not asked then TSSAA is not to blame.

I think this pans out to be a lot like Alabama's situation with boosters. No recruiting was done and nothing unethical was done by the coaching staff our administration. But at the same time they didn't exactly make sure everything was being done properly.

It is heartbreaking for the kids. I really feel for them. But I don't like the message that when something doesn't go your way-SUE! I fully support Gallatin's right to make an arguement (and they got that right in the form of an appeal- which the lost due to the information that McGavock presented concerning dual residency and siblings). But the lawsuit I do not support. I am a football fan. I am not a fan of Law and Order.

Good luck to GHS next year.

Good luck to the rest of the teams still trying to get to the 'Boro.

And good luck to the Sumner Co. tax payers who will most definetly have to foot the lawyers' bill.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Everyone has one on this board and we all just speculate for fun or arguement sake.

2 points though

1. Travis Rose was an out of state transfer and his situation does not apply here. Having kept Shipley out of the first 2 games just underscores the will to do the right thing on behalf of Gallatin. When and only when we recieved proper documentation did he play.

2.We did get an appeal...but according to the Federal Judge not a fair appeal. Shipley was never allowed to answer the charges brought against him as defined by Amendment 14 of the Constitution. No "due process". In this case a court hearing is justified.

I will gladly pay my fair share of the bill.

Question: How much authority is Ronnie Carter given when investigating a case? And does anyone know the statue of limitations on something like this?