Jeff CO. & Oak Ridge THE GAME

LawyerMilloy

The first thread got closed due to some funny off topic pages so hopefully this one can stay open.

This may just be the game of the week in the 2nd Round. I think the teams are very evenly matched. I have not seen Oak Ridge play this year but I have seen JC play several times. The stats and scores of both teams are very similar.

I think this one comes down to which defense brings it the hardest. Jeff and Scoot will be tough to stop. I know Booker and the rest of the Cats are explosive as well. Whichever defense can hold the opposite offense threat comes away with this one I think.

JC - 23

OR - 14

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your right it will come down to the defensive side of the ball. Oak Ridge will over-talent the speed lacking Pats, OR 21 Pats 7

Speed lacking? I think Jeff Jr and Scoot, not to mention Aaron Carson and pretty much the whole team, will have something to say about that.

Like I said I havent seen Oak Ridge but I have a hard time believing that the will "overtalent" Jeff Co. The best backfield duo in Tennessee will have something to say about THAT.

91statechamp, I hope the whole city of OR isn't as obnoxious as you are. Since when did Oak Ridge become such a tourist trap. You only live an hour away from McMinn County, so you must be used to seein the hee-haw thing around your neck of the woods. To the most arrogant fan around (91statechamp) I hope Jeff. Co. runs all over your guys.

Go Cherokees!

Go Patriots!

Being that I have seen both teams, I can say that they very much mirror image each other. Both have two outstanding RBs, Oak Ridge with Booker and Gulmire, Jeff County with Jennings and Houston; Both QBs are similar in size, speed, and arm strength, McMahon and Clement...QB decision making will play a major role in this one. Both teams with good size in the line on both sides of the ball (probably a slight edge in size to O.R., but watch out for Jeff Co #58 Zach Smiley, has a huge heart, plays real hard). LBs run to the ball well and defensive backs are athletic.

Against us (the Dobyns-Bennett Indians), neither team did a very good job in pass coverage, nor did they tackle very well. Part of the problem for both teams was they were having to try to tackle in the open field and D-B has some pretty athletic skill people...as do both O.R. & Jeff Co....so, here come my keys - QBs have to make good decisions, whether in the passing game or running, can't make mistakes, have to get the ball into the hands of the difference makers; have to tackle - all RBs in this game run hard (with speed); pressure on the QB and good pass defense by the LBs and DBs, because I think the team that can be most successful throwing the ball will win. Sounds really strange with the RBs in this game, but I think the team that can put the other on their heals defensively will have a true advantage and so I look for the passing game to be the difference. And look for Cody Cofer for O.R. &/or Carson and Brown for Jeff Co to be the x-factor for their teams, good for a big play or two somewhere along the way.

If my son wasn't playing in the D-B game I would drive down to see this one (he did, by the way, score the tying TD against O.R and scored twice - once by air, once by land - against Jeff Co.) but, I'll be in J.Fred Johnson Stadium in Kingsport waiting for updates...Man!...history, tradition, quality, speed, heart, talent, class...it should be very special (so should the D-B vs McMinn Co game, but, that's another thread).

Good Luck to both teams, players, coaches, fans, families, friends, neighbors, bands, cheerleaders, pets, play-by-play guys, and color commentators. The winner of this game has a legitimate shot at the state championship, so enjoy this moment, respectfully.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

91statechamp, I hope the whole city of OR isn't as obnoxious as you are. Since when did Oak Ridge become such a tourist trap. You only live an hour away from McMinn County, so you must be used to seein the hee-haw thing around your neck of the woods. To the most arrogant fan around (91statechamp) I hope Jeff. Co. runs all over your guys.

Go Cherokees!

Go Patriots!

Girl,

Your quite touchy this afternoon. Love the personal attacks hillbilly, keep them coming. Say how's your bowling league team.

Let me see here: Jeff Co at Oak Ridge could be one of the best 3-4 games in East Tennessee Friday night (Ac @ AE and Rock @ OS) if not one of the best games in the entire state Friday night!!

What do Oak Ridge and Jefferson County have in common this season?? Their lone losses were or are at the hands of Kingsport DB. Yes, I know, OR blew a huge lead in Kingsport, but a loss is a loss is a loss my friends.

By to the task at hand: Picking a winner in the Jeff Co-OR game this Friday night since this is a Jeff Co-OR thread. I'm going to go with well....I've been watching Booker since at Harriman. Hey Big Gumer, just how good could Harriman have been if Booker were still there???

Oh yea--the prediction: It is hard for me to pick against the Wildcats seeing as how they have Booker and Gulmire, along with the mystique of playing on hallowed Blankenship Field. Jeff County may have Houston and Jennings, but....OR has more weapons!!

Oak Ridge Wildcats 34

Jefferson County Patriots 20

Skunk,

I agree with everything you said about this game. Jeff County has a fine football team with many weapons as does Oak Ridge. What I don't know about is their special teams play. Oak Ridge has a kicker that has put the ball in the endzone 85% of the time this season and he punts the wall well too. Booker is an outstanding return man. What about Jeff County?

As for 91state, he doesn't live in Oak Ridge anymore and hasn't for several years. He was a fine player in high school many years ago but he seems to have forgotten some of his Oak Ridge class. We respect Jeff County and all of our East Tennessee rivals. 91 state is really a great guy and he loves getting people upset. Don't take him seriously, he does it for fun and just to make people mad. It seems to have worked and he is enjoying every minute of it.