BEST FANS

big poppa

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GBT57,

I'll have to agree with you, the people in GB sure do support their football team (as well as all their other sports). I don't believe I've been to one game in the past two years to where the stands haven't been full, there is usually people standing EVERYWHERE. I play for an atheletic program at Greenbrier, and I know as a player it feels good to know you have such great supports behind ya. THANKS GREENBRIER FANS!!!!!

Franklin does have some strong strong fan and community support. From my experience in middle tennessee, some of the greatest fan bases (which you all have mentioned already) include Lincoln County, Dickson County, and Gallatin (the playoff game at their place last year with Franklin was WILD). Honorable mention to Brentwood, some major support there too. Then again, Williamson County is very strong all around, even the private schools.

I think the term best fans is very loose, but what makes a great football community from my experience is inevitable when the following people attend the games : 1. It's students and faculty2. Their parents (not only of the players and band, but even parents of non-participants, 3. Alumni, and 4. Community members who did not attend the school but live in the community. When a community can pull in this kind of support from truly supportive and dedicated people, a truly awesome football community is inevitable.

Look no further than some of the schools and communities mentioned in this and the preceeding posts to find out what you may be missing. GO REBS!

I think the term best fans is very loose, but what makes a great football community from my experience is inevitable when the following people attend the games : 1. It's students and faculty2. Their parents (not only of the players and band, but even parents of non-participants, 3. Alumni, and 4. Community members who did not attend the school but live in the community. When a community can pull in this kind of support from truly supportive and dedicated people, a truly awesome football community is inevitable.

I have to agree with your whole post, Rebel Yell, but I want to hone in on the quoted section. Thanks for mentioning Lincoln County.

I think we have all of the above, but one of our main areas of support comes from our students. They have formed a group called "The Pumpkinheads". They have matching T-shirts that they sometimes embellish with rhinestones and other jewels, cut them to make fringe on the bottom, or individualize them in various other ways--the gaudier the better! These kids wear Mardi Gras beads, silver false eyelashes, temporarily color their hair, paint their faces, and wear red, white and blue boas and jewelry among other things. Each kid has chosen a nickname that they have lettered on the back of their shirts. The buzz never ends for some of these kids as they plan from one week to the next what they are going to wear or do to make themselves look different. It's about themselves, but also about the whole team and school spirit. They have a blast, contribute to firing up the team and make everyone who sees them, smile. :huh:

I wish every school had a group like our "Pumpkinheads". These are the kinds of kids who need a lot of recognition. (Not just the kind that they get at the games, for you can't help but recognize them there!) :o I'd like to go on record as saying that Lincoln County has great community support, but I think we have THE BEST student support around.

Let's hear it for "The Pumpkinheads"!

Last week I went to the Fayette Academy/ South Fulton game. I really wanted to see S. Fulton since I had been ragging on them all year. I figured I needed to check out what I had been talking so bad about. When I got to the game, it must have been right at freezing weather. There were some idiots over in the Fayette student section that went shirtless. I was wearing three layers of clothing and was freezing and I they were wearing nothing but paint on their chests. I was also impressed with how even though South Fulton is probably about 2 hours away from Fayette, there were a few more fans on the Visitors sideline. Also, it was much louder on the Fayette sideline than the S. Fulton one, even in the first half when the Red Devils were winning. However, I did not like the battle than insued between the students that Fayette started after scoring a touchdown. Fayette's shirtless ran onto the S. Fulton sideline after scoring their first touchdown. South Fulton then followed on their next touchdown. I am all for fan being into the game and emotional, but please stay on your side. I'll be there to see them take on JCS tonight but expect to see a little more class this week.

You would be hard pressed to find the fan support that Macon County has given their football team this year. I have had the opportunity to witness this support on two occasions and was extremely impressed both times. They have had sparse support in years past, but in th last two years things are picking up. I'm glad to see it.