DOBYNS BENNETT VS OAK RIDGE

ArtVandalay

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its that time of year theres only 8 teams fighting for 1 prize. i look foward to playing a clean hard physical smash mouth football game. it wil be the true defintion of what a football game truly is......so i said it before strap it on tight ande get ready to knock it off

Tyler Carr # 54 Oak Ridge Wildcats

Region 2-5a champions

Art

Coach Lussier had some trouble with support in the past. I have heard the phrase "In Oak Ridge if you aren't winning your on your way out". A couple years ago we missed the playoffs all together. Some in the community were calling for his head. Strange thing, the guy goes 9-1 this year in the regular season 2-0 in the playoffs and the headhunters are nowhere to be found. I reserved judgment on him until this year because my son plays for him now so I have had a chance to watch him all year for myself. I am not a football guru by any means but I can tell when someone is committed, when the players are responding and the look of a good game plan. I can also tell when adjustments are made to stop success by the opponent. He has done a fine job this year. He also stresses success in the classroom as well as on the field. The Talent pool at Oak Ridge hasn't hurt. I am not taking anything away from Lussier but those kids could make a lot of coaches look good. Another thing is the talent of the scout teams. ORs scout team could be 5a contenders on their own. All in all I give the man an A.

My only worry with him is his decision making at the end of close games when the clock is an issue. But then again that only happened once this year.

I have asked on previous threads if there was a timeout left for OR at the end of DB game earlier in the year. The only response I got was "if there was he would have used it". I am almost positive the game ended with a time out in OR's pocket. That has to cause anyone some concern if OR lost the game on the 13 yard line with a time out in the coaches pocket.

Please someone fill me in here cause it has bugged me since that game. Did OR have a timeout with the ball on the 13 yard line ? If there was a timeout available could we not have gotten two maybe three plays off ? As it was we only got one play off and the game ended.

There were a couple of times in some previous games when we were leading by a couple TD's. In those circumstances shouldn't we have been running the ball taking as much time off the clock as possible? What he did was put OR in their fast break offense ( no Huddle ) . On our previous possessions our offense was kickin butt and takin names. Not only did time fly off the clock but we went no where. It then took them at least two possessions to get back in rhythm. I asked about that on another thread and someone suggested that he was just getting some experience for the guys in that fast break offense against teams they felt had no chance of coming back and beating us. I am glad that didn't come back to bite us. I think the two teams were Ootwaha and Soddy Daisy, In my opinion they weren't teams I would ever consider beat with two TD's until the final buzzer sounded.

With all that said I personally respect and support the man. I support his staff as well, I consider them to be some of the best in the state. No one can argue, Lussier is getting it done this year.

As far as Gaddis's exit well I can only repeat a nasty rumor cause I certainly didn't see it happen. But a little kissy kissy with the cheerleader coach was the reason I heard the hook came out from behind the curtain.

Thanks for the info Wildmanfan....

Me and a buddy of mine, Spear24, wondered why,in the 1st meeting, OR went away from the Run against DB. The Wildcats had a real good drive stopped (either late 3rd qtr or early 4th qtr) when, after run, run, run, all of a sudden, they go to the pass. The drive stopped instantly.

SOME KEYS FOR THIS GAME FOR THE INDIANS (Note: I only saw OR once, so you tell us the OR KEYS)

*Off course, Turnovers will be huge. Either team could dominate the yardage and loose the game with 3 or 4 turnovers.

*DB must stop the ground game of OR and get the Wildcats in passing situations. If that happens, the Defensive Rush can put heat on the QB and the DB Secondary (2nd to none) may get a few picks. Watch #7 Tyler Nottingham on Blitz situations, he is spectacular at picking up the snap count.

*DB QB Duran Ferguson must not make bad decisions in the passing game when the WR's are covered....tuck it and run. He has (at times) either held the ball way to long and ended up getting sacked for 10-15 yd loss or throwing the ball into double coverage. If Duran plays like he did in the 2nd half of the 1st meeting, DB should be alright. DB OFFENSIVE LINE HAS GIVEN DURAN GREAT PASS PROTECTION ALL YEAR, THAT IS A MUST IN THIS GAME. (Watch out for #17 of OR, scary!)

**DB GROUND game really needs to get started early. I hope for 150 yds rushing or more. If that happens, DB should be in pretty good shape. Run the Ball hard #32 Chase Flanery and #20 Walker Throp and # 12 Matt McMillian. And take care of the BALL, something the Tribe has done remarkably well this year.

*NO FUMBLES ON PUNT RETURNS (OUCH!!) The most disapointing thing about this team.... No question about it.

Good Luck

I hope for DRY Weather

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

GIDDY UP!!

I would like to let the players on both sides know that this will be a game that you always will remeber, no matter which team wins you will never forget. I was apart of the 98 dobyns bennett football team that beat oakridge twice in the same season! The win that we had over OR in the playoffs was one of my best memories that I ever had. I was qouted in the kingsport times as saying that I will never forget this moment. Even though we lost in the next round to Oakland the Oakridge playoff game was on of my best memories as an Indian!! I can proudly say that I never lost to Oakridge the entire time that I was on the varsity team, 5 straight victories. This was an achievement that was almost as good as winning a state championship!!! This years team has a chance to achieve the ultimate reward and that is winning a championship. All I want to say to both teams is leave it all on the field, because someone is going to hang it up for the last time.

Roll Tribe Roll

You aint lyin T! This is what it's all about. DB vs. Oak Ridge in the quarters....some things never change. Good luck to both teams and a safe trip to all the Wildcats cause I'll be following you down that little trail from Knoxville. I know better than to make a prediction on this one!

Edited by DBHS1