South Doyle vs. Knox Central HOF Game

2Hot4U

Does South Doyle have a chance? JD has been doing a great job turning the Central program around and I was wondering how you saw this game playing out. If anybody has an opinion please let mw know. I think it will be a great game for all the fans, Central will be pumped for their first game with their new coach, and South Doyle from what I have been told should be competative, so we will see. What does everyone think?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, South-Doyle looks much better than Central. This would be a much better match up after football is over. I say SD by 15 just because of guard play. Tate Burroughs isn't the most flashy point guard around but he doesn't make many mistakes and does a good job running the team. Than Trahn(?) can learn a lot by watching Tate. When Than takes care of the ball and distributes it without turning it over, they look pretty good (like when they scrimmaged AE). When he doesn't, they look awful (like against Catholic in Jamboree).

That's a lot to put on a junior with very little playing time but...

S.D. wins easily. Central has at least one player who will contribure still in football. It realy wouldn't matter though. I heard Central was going to play some defense then I go to the Jamboree and they give up 31 in 12 mins. Hard work won't get the program turned around. There will have to be some coaching expertise involved as well, which Central doesn't have. They were better off with the Coach they had last year. It is going to be a long cold winter in Bobcat land. But the S.D. fans have a lot to look forwaed to. Good athletes, good coach look to see them in the region.

Edited by redrage

Way to come thru there Rage. In the jamboree, at least half of Catholics points were directly off turnovers. If you hand it to the other team on the wing over and over you are going to get killed. They are capable of playing defense and WILL be pretty good at it by midseason. I know Carter isn't the strongest team around but Central limited them to 6 free throws (no baskets) in the 2nd half of a scrimmage Sat.

There are two football players that will make a big difference. DJ Smith is the best on ball defensive stopper and Lee Smith is big enough to keep people honest in the paint. DJ gives another slasher and Lee is a scorer from almost anywhere on the court. Right now everybody loads up on Conner and doesn't worry about anybody else. So, I think things will be different soon, although they possible could play 3 more weeks of football.

South-Doyle 51 Central 39.

Central led for a good portion of this game. It was very close until SD made their free throws down the stretch. Again, turnovers were the Bobcats downfall. Losing Lusk (their only post on the current roster) to fouls in the 3rd, really hurt. South-Doyle didn't look as strong and Central didn't look as bad as I expected. When soph Ben Williamson doesn't play hesitant, he makes some incredible plays. He's going to be a quality player. Central has to get better leadership from their seniors. Conner has to help on the boards and not just be content to hang at the 3 line. Several SD fans commented on the coaching job Lambert is doing with these kids. When they get a few games under their belts the Bobcats should be competetive.

South-Doyle really missed Burroughs when he went out early with foul trouble. He is the glue that holds SD together. King played a good game, he took what was there and didn't make many mistakes.

At the foul line..SD 15/24...Central 2/2

RedRage, We had to listen to you complain about your coach all last year and now that he is gone you want him back. Have you ever thought that your beloved Central Basketball program doesn't have the players to compete like it does in football and baseball. How many 20 win seasons have they had in the last 20 years? Were all of those coaches bad as well??

To say central doesnt have the players to compete in basketball is about the most ignorant comments I have heard on Coach T. Central High School is crawling with athletes. The problem is getting them to play.. Coach Helton makes it very tuff to play football and basketball. Last years coach told me he got tired of Helton holding meetings for football players during basketball practice, and made it mandatory to be there. The school administration goes along with it... Until the school system makes football only a fall sport, then Central will not have a successful basketball team no matter who the coach is.....

Bonfire, I never said athletes, I said PLAYERS. Please read more carefully before you stick your foot in your mouth by calling someone ignorant. For whatever reason, Central has not had the caliber of PLAYERS in basketball that they have had in other sports. Just because you are athletic does not mean you are a good basketball player.

Looking at it from your side I believe one of the biggest challenges that a coach at Central would have is getting the better athletes/players into his program. The actual X's and O's would be next. Just an opinion....

Rude dog:

My point is that the administration at Central fails to hire the most qualified individual to be the head Basketball coach. Coach Allen was more qualified than the new guy and he wasn't very good. Central had at least 2 applicants that are successful head basketball coaches. Leading teams to the state tournament. Yet they hired an unproven girls coach. What gives? I will agree that football is king in Bobcat land but I can't agree there aren't any players. There just hasn't been a whole lot of coaching since Carringer left for O.R. That is another reason many of the kids don't play the lack of a quality coach and the lack of commitment on the part of the administration to have a quality program.

Now as for the game last night Central did play better than I expeected but they still are not fundamentally sound and look unorganized on offense. Not sure about the Defense on the surface it appeared to be better but S.D. offense wasn't very good. If Central wins 8 games I will be shocked. They will be lucky to win 2 in the district. Could be wrong.