1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

PLAYOFF HISTORY

FRANKLIN REBELS

Playoff Years:1985,1990,1992,1994,1995,1998,1999,2001,2002

Years in Playoffs: 9

Total Games: 14

Record: 5-9

State Titles: 0

Furthest Previous Advancement: Quarterfinals (1990, 2002)

Biggest Loss: Clarksville NE - 35 Points

Biggest Win: Hillwood - 34 Points

Franklin has played 12 different teams in the playoffs

BEECH 1

BRENTWOOD 1

CLARKSVILLE NE 1

DICKSON COUNTY 1

GALLATIN 1

GLENCLIFF 1

HENDERSONVILLE 2

HENRY COUNTY 2

HILLWOOD 1

MBA 1

WESTWOOD 1

WHITES CREEK 1

*Record against SHELBY COUNTY teams: 0-1 (Westwood 63-35, 1990)

Record against WEST TENNESSEE teams: 0-3

GERMANTOWN RED DEVILS

Playoff Years: 1978,1979,1980,1981,1982,1983,1986,

Years in Playoffs: 19

Total Games: 55

Record: 37-18

State Titles: 1 (1983)

Furthest Previous Advancement: Finals (1980, 1983, 1986, 1990, 1994)

Biggest Loss: Henry County - 27 Points

Biggest Win: Whitehaven - 46 Points

Germantown has played 32 different teams in the playoffs

BARTLETT 2

BOLIVAR CENTRAL 2

BRENTWOOD 1

BRENTWOOD ACADEMY 1

CBHS 2

CENTRAL-MERRY 5

COLLIERVILLE 1

CORDOVA 2

DYERSBURG 1

FAIRLEY 1

GALLATIN 3

HAMILTON 2

HAYWOOD COUNTY 1

HENRY COUNTY 2

HILLCREST 1

HOUSTON 2

JEFFERSON COUNTY 1

KNOXVILLE HALLS 1

LEXINGTON 1

LINCOLN COUNTY 3

MBA 1

MELROSE 3

MEMPHIS CENTRAL 3

MILLINGTON 2

MT. JULIET 1

MUNFORD 1

NASHVILLE OVERTON 1

OAK RIDGE 1

RIPLEY 1

RIVERDALE 1

WESTWOOD 1

WHITEHAVEN 4

Record against WILLIAMSON COUNTY teams: 0-2 (BA 17-6, 1996; Brentwood 24-14, 2002)

Record against MIDDLE TENNESSEE teams: 7-5

Semifinal Record: 5-3

Interpret the stats as you see fit. Germantown is considerably more experienced in the playoffs, but has never beaten a Williamson County team (only 2 tries, granted). Will the third time be the charm? Meanwhile, Franklin has never played in the state championship.

Will this year be the year???

Edited by WesVols

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Wes, when was the last time that Germantown beat a Middle Tennessee team in the semis though? That's what I'm curious about... or any West TN team for that matter.

Great question.

Germantown has played 5 Middle Tennessee teams in the Semis. They are 2-3, with their last win coming in 1983 over Gallatin, 31-3. Their other win came in 1980 over Gallatin again, 14-7.

The last time a West Tennessee team beat a Middle Tennessee team in the State Semifinals was 1997, when Munford beat Mt. Juliet 10-9 before losing in the finals to Riverdale, 34-18.

AGAIN: A WEST TENNESSEE 5A TEAM HAS NOT MADE THE STATE FINALS SINCE 1997.

Since 1993:

MIDDLE TN: 15

EAST TN: 3

WEST TN: 2

15 of 20 teams are from Middle Tennessee

1993: Lincoln County 20, Riverdale 7

1994: Riverdale 14, Germantown 10

1995: Brentwood Academy 27, Riverdale 16

1996: Brentwood Academy 28, Jefferson County 7

1997: Riverdale 34, Munford 18

1998: Oakland 46, Hendersonville 24

1999: Sevier County 31, Glencliff 27

2000: Red Bank 27, Riverdale 7

2001: Riverdale 35, Hendersonville 7

2002: Brentwood 10, Riverdale 7

8 of 10 titles are from Middle Tennessee

Edited by WesVols

So in other words, since the TSSAA went to five classifications, a West Tennessee team has only made it to the Clinic Bowl/Blue Cross Bowl only TWICE (BA in 96 and 95, Germantown {but they lost to a mid-state team there} in 94). Franklin doesn't intend to let that change.

DEMOLISH THE DEVILS!

GO TO STATE REBELS!

Edited by FHSrebel27

In response to the talk about the band... Jones is allowing students to go out of town... and participating with the band this Friday is optional. Pregame, the band will play the Star-Spangled Banner from the track and line up in a tunnel for the football players to run through while they play the fight song. Then the band will sit in the stands (for probably the entire game--including 3rd quarter) to play pep music. They will get halftime off seeing as there will be no halftime show. While many band members are either going out of town or optin to sit in the student section, I have gotten word that many band members that have graduated from FHS in the past are going to be pulling out their old band T-shirts and horns to come play for Friday night. Look for no lacking as far as music goes for this Friday night. Jones would never allow that--he cares too much about this football team (mainly because he sees how much it means to his own students, the band members). THe band will be behind the football team the whole way... let's go Rebels... BEAT GERMANTOWN!!

In response to the talk about the band... Jones is allowing students to go out of town... and participating with the band this Friday is optional. Pregame, the band will play the Star-Spangled Banner from the track and line up in a tunnel for the football players to run through while they play the fight song. Then the band will sit in the stands (for probably the entire game--including 3rd quarter) to play pep music. They will get halftime off seeing as there will be no halftime show. While many band members are either going out of town or optin to sit in the student section, I have gotten word that many band members that have graduated from FHS in the past are going to be pulling out their old band T-shirts and horns to come play for Friday night. Look for no lacking as far as music goes for this Friday night. Jones would never allow that--he cares too much about this football team (mainly because he sees how much it means to his own students, the band members). THe band will be behind the football team the whole way... let's go Rebels... BEAT GERMANTOWN!!

Band t-shirts??? I hope for their sake that they have some band sweatshirts!! :angry:

Can't wait for friday.

Band t-shirts???  I hope for their sake that they have some band sweatshirts!!  :angry:

Can't wait for friday.

Band T-shirts yes... with layers, layers, and more layers underneath. :blink:

And you're not alone my man... my blood is already running thin, and my heart is already beating about a 100 times faster than normal in simple anticipation... it's gonna be a good one.

While WesVols is really the only expert we need to pick games, the City Paper's "expert" did so as well.

Germantown (12-1) at Franklin (11-2)

Franklin hasn’t hosted a playoff game of this magnitude since, well, ever. Already the furthest the school’s ever been, the 2003 Rebels won’t be satisfied until they’ve reached Murfreesboro. Germantown is impressive, with three blowout wins in the playoffs thus far, but the battle-tested Rebels know how to pull out the close ones. Franklin 21, Germantown 19

GO REBELS!