1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hillsboro wins a squeeker, 9-6.

Home field advantage:

Means more than having more of your team's fans and boosters to cheer you on. There is also no time and energy lost riding the "doghouse" for 4 hours, waiting in said house prior to game time. Lousy food. Strange locker room and other facilities, etc. It all adds up.

Defense:

If it's true that "You're only as good as your last win" the Burro defense proved vs. stratford that it may allow some yards in penalties, but if the ball doesn't cross the goal line or through the goal posts it means little more than field position. Stratford was shut down four times inside the ten yard line last week. Hillsboro has a battle tested, hard nosed, stingy 1st team defense that will not give more than a TD this Friday. This is the Burros hallmark. Allow very points. All double digit points scored against this year's Burros are deceiving as this is when the 2nd a third teams came in to mop up. Mr. Football Finalist in Fisher, Jr, at linebacker, among others. Earned two shutouts, could have easily notched five more had the first teamers stayed in the whole game. Melrose has a vicious, quick defense that will match the Burros blow for blow. Should be a true battle.

Offense:

Burros scored an average 43 ppg without breaking a sweat. No disrespect, but many of these games were over in the 2nd qtr. Melrose will be the best defense faced by the mules all year. Without benefit of a key tiurnover deep it will be difficult for us to reach double digits on the ground -- passing game offense / defense wil not be tested, I believe. Too much at a stake. I'll give the nod to Melrose's "A. Heffner" at the qb position. Doss is effective, but Heffner was 'lights out' last year; we will see this kid play on Sundays some day.

Special teams:

Burros still have a solid PK this year. This is key for ensuring the all important PAT -- an opponent that has to rely on a two-point conversion is at a distinct disadvantage. This area alone played heavily in Hillsboro's last two wins against Memphis East and Melrose. Also, pinning teams deeper in their own territory consistently pays long term dividends.

Lines:

Melrose has the edge in size on both sides of the ball but will it be enough to make a difference in a game like this?

Coaching:

Hey, both staffs are darn good. What it all boils down to is the kids executing the play-calling.

Intangibles:

Hillsboro has the mental edge because it has cleared the semi-final hurdle the past two years. Melrose on the other hand has a score to settle. These kids lost a heartbreaker last year -- and took it like MEN. This inevitable rematch has been circled on a lot of Memphis calendars for the past year. Although I predict a Burros victory, the game could easily come down to a key turnover or big play, costly penalty, bad call, whatever. One of these events will likely decide the outcome. Melrose will bring a good sized, loud crowd, too. Expect an overflow in total. This one wil be fun for all involved!

GO HILLSBORO!!!

I am a Memphis native who follows high school football in this area. I am a Whitehaven alum, who keeps up with the local DI and DII teams and talent, as much as I possibly can. I make it a point to go to Melrose games every year, and I have watched them play 5 times this year. (CBHS, Whitehaven, East, Hardin County, and Central-Merry).

Week Date Opponent

0 23-Aug-03 CBHS L 10 8

1 29-Aug-03 at Trezevant W 40 0

2 05-Sep-03 Ridgeway W 35 3

3 12-Sep-03 at Whitehaven W 53 28

4 19-Sep-03 Fairley W 26 0

5 27-Sep-03 Hamilton W 38 0

6 03-Oct-03 Wooddale W 52 14

7 10-Oct-03 at Open

8 17-Oct-03 Memphis East W 35 0

9 24-Oct-03 at Open

10 31-Oct-03 Craigmont W 41 12

11 07-Nov-03 Haywood County W 55 7

12 14-Nov-03 Hardin County W 48 0

13 21-Nov-03 at Central-Merry W 28 0

The one thing that I truly love about Melrose is their defense. They have recorded six shut-outs this season, with the last 2 coming in the playoffs. Only one team has scored more then 2 touchdowns against this defense all year, and that was a Whitehaven team who has the top rated offense in the Shelby Metro area averaging more then 400 ypg (Approximately 190 ypg run, 210 ypg pass). Even in that game, Whitehaven scored their last TD as the horn sounded at the end of the game. But I digress, Melrose has a stupendous defense. Despite all of the accolades heaped on them for their offensive firepower ... it's their defense that makes them so good.

I remember Hillsboro from last years game. I know that Hillsboro has a very good defense as well.

This game is going to be a hard hitting defensive game. Melrose played a very good RB last game against JCM. They will face a very good backfield against Hillsboro this week.

This will not be a high scoring game. Melrose's punter (Doss) is kicking very well, when needed, and the place kicker (Heffner) is accurately hitting his PAT's.

This game will come down to special teams play, penalties, and mistakes. I'm going to go with Melrose in this one, because they felt like they let it slip away last year, and they have the extra incentive ... but really, so does Hillsboro for that matter ... they felt like they let one get away last year against Maryville.

The winner will be the team that makes the fewest mistakes, has the least amount of penalties, and their special teams play exceptionally well.

Edited by kwc

StanTrott

Dang! Why are the boys over at Dudley/ That place is haunted! :D

I'd sooner let 'em bang bones at Woodlawn. :huh:

But Nope. Had to work. Did you see them today?

No, a friend called and told me he saw them over there. They probably didn't want to tear the field up at Hillsboro. Coach Aydelott is a master of not missing a day of practice.

I cannot wait until Friday night. Last year's game was the best high school game I saw all season, and I look forward to seeing Melrose in Nashville. The intensity of last year's game was unbelievable!

The winner will be the team that makes the fewest mistakes, has the least amount of penalties, and their special teams play exceptionally well.

kwc:

Good post. Do you know why Melrose didn't kick the PAT last year? I don't think they will go for two this year if they score, do you?

I agree with you about the low score. This year could be a replay of last year's war. The Melrose crowd was great, and I'm afraid you will not see a huge fan base for Hillsboro this Friday night. Hope I'm wrong, but Hillsboro has learned to play for themselves.

I do think Melrose will have benefited from playing in last year's game. Some of the leadership on Hillsboro's team pulled them through last year's game.

How is Melrose's line this year? I hear that is where they have had the most turnover.