Melrose at Hillsboro

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

MHS

Good points. When I say "trick plays" it is meant as pulling off something more than a defense would expect. Of course, it is the goal of all team to do this to an extent. To score we all know Team "X's" offense is going to play to Team "Y's" defensive weakness while also utilizing its own offensive strengths to the fullest.

But, say Team "X" resorts to unconventional, low percentage methods and playcalling to retain a possession (onside kick in the 3rd) and achieve instant success (the hook and lateral in the first half and tight end pass in the 4th quarter both resulted in TD's). It tells me one of two things: other methods aren't working or there is a need to use the element of surprise, force Team "Y's" defense to overpursue (as you said); disrupt Team "Y's" rhythm and momentum before they put the contest out of reasonable reach.

When any team lines up for an obvious onsides kick, there is no trick or surprise to it. It's just who finally lands on the ball that counts. Hillsboro's players were told to be on the look out for the possible onsides kick, but again MHS lined up and approached th kick as though it was going to kick away. Instead the k/o unit executed an onsides kick to perfecction and perfectly disguised it till the very end. This play not only took away Hillsboro's emotional steam, HHS did not recover its mindset in time to respond effectively to the completed pass from the tight end, leaving it first and goal from about the 2 for the game winning TD.

For right now, I'm only concerned with Merose.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KP

Yeah i think we are in total agreement in that regard. Maryville's standard offense was not getting the job done. Especially when the reverse pass was made. They were down 12 i believe with something like 8 minutes to go. The funny thing about the onsides kick was they had been trying it in practice all year but had not used it. The one they recovered in the game was the first time all year it had worked as it never had in practice. If we were not in Morristown this week i would drive to middle tennessee and see your game. I noticed the game last year was low scoring. Did both defenses just do a good job of shutting the other one down or was it sloppy play? Either way for that game to end 7-6 both defenses must have been doing something right. Good luck to you guys this week!

MHS

Well you guys picked a fine time for the OK to finally work. ;)

First things first. As for the Melrose game. Yeah, I remember Melrose scoring early in the game on a good drive. But got stuffed for a loss by our SS on the 2 point try. Figured they went for 2 since their PAT kick unit was shaky.

Our TD was the result of incredible field position just before the half after one of our guys recovered a muffed Melrose pitchout deep in Melrose terriorty. Fridge Bryant (Remember that name) steamed it in a few plays later I believe.

Other than that -- there was a lot of blood sweat and tears between the 20's. Neither defense would give up much more than that. Hillsboro ran out most of the last few minutes on a few key 3rd down conversions.

Seemed like 10,000 Melrose fans showed up literally out of nowwhere. Overflowed. WATCHING FROM THE STREETS THROUGH THE FENCES.

One thing bothered me though. With under a minute left, and during live play the offical timekeeper ( a ref on the field I presume) forgot to restart the game clock on several Melrose plays. Finally the clock resumed and time ran out.

Great game then. Looking forward to another Fri.

KP

Yeah i think we are in total agreement in that regard. Maryville's standard offense was not getting the job done. Especially when the reverse pass was made. They were down 12 i believe with something like 8 minutes to go. The funny thing about the onsides kick was they had been trying it in practice all year but had not used it. The one they recovered in the game was the first time all year it had worked as it never had in practice. If we were not in Morristown this week i would drive to middle tennessee and see your game. I noticed the game last year was low scoring. Did both defenses just do a good job of shutting the other one down or was it sloppy play? Either way for that game to end 7-6 both defenses must have been doing something right. Good luck to you guys this week!

mhs,

The Hillsboro - Melrose game was not sloppy last year. It was a war. Both teams matched up well with each other, and it came down to man against man, a battle of such magnitude that is rarely seen in high school football.

Maryville beat Hillsboro with perfect execution and the element of surprise. Hillsboro had Maryville beat last year, and Maryville was able to make changes during the game that changed the outcome. I believe the Maryville fans were shocked at how Hillsboro dominated in the first half.

Melrose matches Hillsboro's size, strength, and speed. Based on what I have been hearing, Maryville will have problems with either team this year. No one knew who was going to win that Hillsboro - Melrose game last year until the final second ticked off the clock.

It will be interesting to see how Melrose and Hillsboro plan for each other this Friday night. They are more familiar with each other, and I know Hillsboro will try to exploit whatever Melrose will give them. Both teams should have a better idea of what to expect of each other this year. The key is that these teams are good at preventing big plays, which should keep the score down.

The Melrose - Hillsboro game reminds me of some of the old Alabama - Tennessee games. In 1990 Alabama was number #2 or #3 in the nation, and UT was #3 or #2. The game ended 9-6 in Alabama's favor. This game was a battle, and Alabama’s defense would not let Alabama lose the game. The game was in Knoxville, and the Vol fans didn't move when the game was over. They were shocked, depressed and emotionally spent.

The loser of the Hillsboro - Melrose game will have similar feelings, but they will respect the winner. It should be another great high school football game.

I think, if Hillsboro is going to have chance, it will have to be a high scoring game. Melrose's offense is incredible and they will put points on the board. Hillsboro will have to answer or be routed.

Melrose`s offense only scored 14 on JCM. However JCM did have a great defense.

Somebody else mentioned that Melrose would have to stop Hillsboro`s running game. Adam November was 36 for 135 yards against Melrose. He had a few carries for 10 or so yards, but very few. November is as tough as they come. The first man that hits him doesn`t usually bring him down and he scampers off. With Melrose the first person that hit him usually slowed him down and before he could scamper off there were two or three other guys there. Every running back gets "stood up". However after watching JCM all season, no team has stood him up like Melrose. In fact Adam November is one who doesn`t get "stood up" very often. Let me make 3 points about their defense.

1. quick

2. quick

3. quick

They just smother you. JCM could move the ball on them, but not much at a time. If we made a mistake we were dead. JCM gained 157 yards to Melrose`s 181. To make a point...Adam November had averaged right at 250 yards per game over his last 6 games and he never carried the ball 36 times in a game. I want to echo the comments made about the character of their team. Their new coach has given this team a facelift from the old Tim Thompson teams.

Stan:

You and I saw the same game last year. A slugfest between two warriors. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the Hillsboro team. Who are the seniors on that team that are being recruited, and what schools are recruiting them? I'm interested to know who to watch if I can convince my wife to allow me to go to the game, lol.

This is what I've heard about some of the players on the Melrose team.

#16, QB (6-2, 185 lbs), Antonio Heffner, being recruited by some SEC schools (UT, Ole Miss, Miss State), U of M (Memphis), and others. He was quoted in the paper earlier this season as to verbally committing to Maryland, stating he liked the idea of playing in the ACC.

#5, RB (5-8, 175 lbs), Joseph Doss, being recruited by (Ole Miss, U of M, and a few others).

#3, RB (6-0, 180 lbs), Joshua Hinds, has been offered by Louisville and U of M.

#6, WR-DB (6-3, 210 lbs), Carlous Armour, SEC schools, U of M, and some others. The Receivers coach from the University of Miami came to see him and Cory Kizer play in a game earlier this season. I read on here in a thread were he has verbally committed to Miami.

#13, WR (6-3, 195 lbs), Cory Kizer, some SEC schools, U of M, Miami, and some others.

#2, DB (5-11, 205 lbs), Elix Wilson, I read in the paper where he has verbally committed to UT.

These are all of the ones that I have either heard or read about. I know that they have another player being sought after as well. His name is Fred Tennial, and he's #62, DE. I just haven't heard who's recruiting him.

These don't mention any of the possible DII players either. These are the ones that I have heard or read about. This does not take into account grades and SAT's either.

I'd love to hear about the Hillsborro players, it gives you people to look out for during the game. I'm sure Hillsboro has quite a few as well.

Stan:

You and I saw the same game last year. A slugfest between two warriors. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the Hillsboro team. Who are the seniors on that team that are being recruited, and what schools are recruiting them? I'm interested to know who to watch if I can convince my wife to allow me to go to the game, lol.

I'd love to hear about the Hillsborro players, it gives you people to look out for during the game. I'm sure Hillsboro has quite a few as well.

kwc,

There are probably others who are being recruited, but here are the top four:

#6 Walter Fisher, Jr. LB/TE – Several SEC schools are recruiting him. I think he may be leaning to TSU. This guy could play in the pros. He is a Mr. Football nominee, and if he doesn’t win it, I will demand a recount. Opposing coaches see Fisher in their nightmares.

Melrose didn’t see Fisher last year. Joe Sanders was the linebacker/tight end last year. Sanders had more speed, but he was banged up with a bum shoulder for last year’s game. Fisher is a man! The Tiger fans will get to know him real quick this Friday night.

#3 Marcellus Tibbs, RB/DB – Every college in the nation should be recruiting him, but I am not sure what is happening for him in terms of recruiting. Tibbs should have been nominated for a Mr. Football award. He has the double gift of speed and vision.

#74 Zac Atkins, Center/DT – I have heard everything from Nebraska to Tennessee. Melrose didn’t see Atkins last year. Atkins played at Franklin last year, and his family moved to the Hillsboro area. He loves to hit, and he will get his wish against Melrose. I think he could be at UT next year. This kid could also be a playing beyond college as well.

#2 Calvin Bryant, FB/DE – Considered by some to be the heart and soul of this team. I believe that “The Fridge” has been a four-year starter for the Burros. He is at least 260 pounds, and you have to remember him from last year’s game. I think he could be leaning to MTSU or TSU. There were rumors that Michigan was looking at him. I will miss seeing him next year, and Hillsboro will have a difficult time replacing him.

Another player to watch is #5 Montez Peoples. Melrose didn’t see Peoples last year. He is a LB/TE who chose to go to Hillsboro for his senior year when the zoning changed at Overton. He was a starter at Overton last season. Sometimes it is hard to tell him and Fisher apart, and there are times when Peoples gets in a zone on defense and starts making big plays.

Yes, you will see these guys playing both ways.

Thanks Stan:

The more I reflect on me missing this game ... the sicker I become! .... lol! Oh well, I'll be glued to this site on Friday.

I remember your QB from last year. He had several good runs that kept the drive alive in the final minutes of the game. Some very crucial runs. You could cut through the tension with a knife last year. Man! That was an intense game.

I also remember #2, Calvin Bryant. Didn't he play MLB last year in that game? Boy! ... do I remember Calvin hitting it up the middle and 5 to 6 Melrose players attacking him like he was a human reaching into the beehive. I remember him carrying players like a cargo van. I also remember Elix Wilson, the Melrose SS, #2, stepping up to the line and meeting Calvin in the hole later on in the game. That was a classic battle. Calvin would dive. Elix met him in the whole, the rest of the team piled on. I know Elix had to have soaked in hot tub with some Epsom salt later that night! .... lol!

This is going to be a good one!