Jackson Co. vs Ridgeway

JCHS

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks to me like no one is safe.... Shelbyville got up on their high horse (and they are intitled to do so... look at what they have done and accomplished, their tradition allows them to be as cocky as they want to be, because they have backed it up with win after win and state title after state title), but then they underestimated the power of a 'little AA powerhouse' and paid for it. They may have been ranked #1 in the nation, but even the #1 team in the nation still has to come out ready to play. Then Jackson Co. turns right around and loses to Ridgeway..... now, don't get me wrong, Ridgeway is good and they have been very good the past couple of years, but you can't go out and beat the #1 team in the nation and still be celebrating or still hung up on that one win at the next game, because someone will come out and beat you. That is exactly what happened. Obviously, all this drama proves only two things:

1. NO ONE is safe!

and

2. TENNESSEE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL IS THE BEST AROUND

Ridgeway has pretty good guards but not much inside. JC by 10-15, better coached team.

From the looks of it, Ridgeway killed them on the inside (although AND1 said that they weren't good enough on the inside) since Lakendra Phillips scored 20. I would think that their inside game is their best asset although they are undersized. They have very strong, powerful forwards who are skilled and athletic. She is just a sophomore and is one of the best in her class. Congrats Ridgeway! It just goes to show, if you haven't seen a team play, you can't judge their strengths or weaknesses nor can you predict who will win.

Ridgeway also lost on of their top young post players before the season. She transferred to Craigmont. This was very impressive.

That's true. They lost USA Today Freshman and Sophmore All-American Jessica Jackson who is 6'5. With her, this team would have been much, much better but you have to give the young'uns credit. You have 4 or 5 girls who are all sophomores, who started Varsity last year as Freshman and who have played AAU together since they were 11 or so and who have won 2 back-to-back AAU National championships (2001,2002). I never doubted they would be able to compete with and beat some older girls because they have talent way ahead of their years...and they'll only get better in the next three years. However, I don't know if they can handle Shelbyville...I doubt they can. If they do, I will be pleasantly surprised but a loss will only help them get battletested for the rest of the season. They are in AAA now and are a formidable foe here in Memphis in AAA.

It looks to me like no one is safe.... Shelbyville got up on their high horse (and they are intitled to do so... look at what they have done and accomplished, their tradition allows them to be as cocky as they want to be, because they have backed it up with win after win and state title after state title), but then they underestimated the power of a 'little AA powerhouse' and paid for it. They may have been ranked #1 in the nation, but even the #1 team in the nation still has to come out ready to play. Then Jackson Co. turns right around and loses to Ridgeway..... now, don't get me wrong, Ridgeway is good and they have been very good the past couple of years, but you can't go out and beat the #1 team in the nation and still be celebrating or still hung up on that one win at the next game, because someone will come out and beat you. That is exactly what happened. Obviously, all this drama proves only two things:

1. NO ONE is safe!

and

2. TENNESSEE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL IS THE BEST AROUND

Wildcat fan got it right above. I have been watching bball all over America for over 20 years. There are some states that take their ball as seriously as TN does, but I believe TN girls bball is the best in the USA. Go look at all the SEC team's rosters for example.

I don't believe in kicking a team that is down. It is really tough to win every single game during a year. 7AA is still the best any size district in the state!

GO LA!!