melrose and hillsboro

crkjon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the onside kick Melrose completed a pass to the 18 but it was called back for procedure. Then they throw it to the 4 and got a delay of game and moved back to the 9. Threw an incomplete pass and with 6 seconds left decided to kick a FG. I figured this would be a fake because Melrose has a very poor kicking game. But they did kick it and missed. I knew the kicking game was the achilles heel for Melrose and it caught up to them.

Congrats to both teams.

BTW, I heard there was about as many Melrose folks there as Hillsboro

KP9481 here. This is my home account for coacht.

This was a wacky win for Hillsboro. Congrats to the Burros! WE HAVE GUTS ENUFF!!!

A few points:

Brad Doss gets my game MVP. His scrambling ability kept us in it and made crucial big gains, not to mention a key, heads up, dump pass to #2 for a TD right after avoiding a sure sack. This was Hillsboro's first score. I'll forget his fumbles.

Melrose converted three of Hillsboro's 5 turnovers into TD's -- two were ran straight in from midfield. Last week it was penalties that hurt; this week turnovers almost did the burros in. Melrose was atempting to strip the ball all game, so no surprise there. It was their main plan and the only way they could get the points needed to make it close--they only drove the field for a score once -- on their next to last possession.

Melrose had a lot of fan support -- I'd say about 2,000 traveled. Impressice in numbers but the bad apples should realize they spoiled what might otherwise be considered a civil fan base. I either witnessed or heard about constant taunting and swearing at Hillsboro's fans on hte home side. I'm surprised a fight or two didn't break out -- especially after the game. Pretty sad. It's people like that who make you glad the team with the better players AND fans won the game.

As for the officiating -- before any Melrose fan gets online to complain. Let me say they were the direct benefificary of a gift TD when a Hiillsboro running play should have been whistled dead at midfield, Both player and ball were on the ground with contact. The ball is picked up by a melrose kid when there was no whistle -- supposedly because no one knew where the ball was. yeah, right. The delay of game call was legit at the end since Melrose had no t/o left, in fact I think they should have been penalized more yards for hudding on the sideline and taking what amounted to a full timeout.

Our fullback suffered a serious injury to his ankle. Initial diagnosis is that it's broken. Calvin was not very effective tonite anyway against Melrose's speed and gang tackling ability but we will miss him alot next weekend--on both sides of the line.

Like I've said in previous posts, Melrose's lack of a kicking game COST THEM THE GAME. It cost them last year and cost Memphis East the year before that. hey, we'll take it, but with all that speed and talent I guess they still can't find a kid in Memphis who can kick field goals or PATs. Atleast not one who is also willing to ATTEND either one of those schools.

Man, I hope it's Maryville. We'll be disappointed if it isn't. Okay Rebels, we held up our part.

GO BURROS!!! GREAT VICTORY!!!

WE TALKED NO SMACK>> WE WON IT ON THE FIELD.