Hillsboro-Melrose game

gator

Scrappy

Define how Melrose was "more physical" than Hillsboro.

Hillsboro ran Melrose up and down the field, gaining nearly 500 yards total rushing. Melrose's score is deceiving as they depended heavily on turnovers at midfield or better. I thought we more than matched them "hit for hit", stopped 'em two times at first and goal and stuffed their two point try that would have won it.

I won't disagree it was an exciting game, just like last year but with lots more scoring. I compare this game to the Ali / Frazier fights, trading one crushing blow for another -- that is, if we didn't kill each other first.

Did you see how Calvin broke his ankle? Did it get stepped on? It seemed like just a freak accident. And yeah the white cadillac was classier than an ambulance, I liked seeing #2 hold up the "We're #1 index finger" through the crack in the back window.

Lastly, Tibbs was great in the first half as were his formidible blockers downfield, but Justin and Brad got the big yards going down the stretch after the keyed on Tibbs.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KP, I thought Melrose delivered quite a few more 'big hits'. Ask Tibbs. Every time he was looking to turn the corner, there was somebody home to send him flying even though he'd already gotten 5-8 yards. Merritt was the only Burros' back quick enough to actually turn the corner. Man, there were athletes all over the field. Looked like Bryant took a helmet to lower shin hit. Clean play. Melrose was well coached to get him low and stay off his back. Tons of credit to Hillsboro for closing the deal with him out. Very impressed with Atkins up front.

"uh, looks like you got a little ahead of yourself there buddy, next time you need to save your posts about maryville beatin hillsboro or melrose without them takin care of business in morristown, holla."

:):DB) :;);)

Kinda quiet w/o all those Maryvile blowhards around here making all their big predictions. Next thing we'll hear MoWest saved Hillsboro from getting humiliated by Maryville again. I love the logic of some people. Have fun in front of the La-Z-boy, Rebs!

As Aydelott said: "Third time's gonna be the charm?" We'll see.

I wasn't really sure who to pull for in this one. I was kind of hoping Hillsboro would since they had come so close but I think you have just changed my mind with your name calling. Whoever wins this one you are still winless against Maryville pal. From one "blowhard" to another. Here's hoping you take "choke" to Three Peat status.

Tibbs won't have the same trouble turning the corner on pursuers this Sat., as MoWest will be busy not only catching him, but bringing him down as well. He can be every bit as punishing as Calvin. When Justin sees a good lane, label him "gone". Jamie Boyd can do fine at FB.

Brad has "come into his own" at QB: that to me was the final piece to the champ. puzzle. My only other concern is having enough of a point spread in the 4th qtr., as we don't go very deep in several positions.

I, too, am impressed with Zac Atkins' pursuit and tackling ability. Glad he transferred. We had some key additions last summer.

MHS

NEWSFLASH: Hillsboro neither solicits or expects to get any support from Maryville fans. Support MoWest for all I care. Most of you guys think the west TN border runs along the Cumberland Plateau, anyway. ;)

Hillsboro will put on a good clinic and become new 4A champs.

At their own hand, your rebels are out of this hunt. Too bad. We had a favor to return. Deal with it. I have zero sympathy for you guys. Peace.

GO BURROS!!!!!

KP

I don't need your sympathy. No one died. Thanks anyway though. Geez it was a high school football game. We were rebuilding this year and replacing 18 starters from last years team so I will gladly take 13-1. No on expected us to go as far as we did. Also thanks for the Geography lesson. I never said anyone solicited my support I really felt for your kids last year when they came so close. Guess that makes me your enemy. I don't think you are an arrogant, know it all jerk even though you come across that way in some of your posts.

Peace, love and all that jazz to you too. I would wish you good luck this week but I don't want to offend you again.

Hillsboro replaced 21 seniors and is in the finals. Again. We'll gladly take that...and a gold football this time, to boot. :D

Don't let your opinion of me color what you think about the Burro football program, even though I dare say many of them (Present and Past) feel the same way about Maryville.

It's not just our turn with MHS out, we would have taken the thing no matter who we played. MBA--that means you, too.

GO BURROS!!!

Hillsboro replaced 21 seniors and is in the finals. Again. We'll gladly take that...and a gold football this time, to boot. :D

Don't let your opinion of me color what you think about the Burro football program, even though I dare say many of them (Present and Past) feel the same way about Maryville.

It's not just our turn with MHS out, we would have taken the thing no matter who we played. MBA--that means you, too.

GO BURROS!!!

You forgot to mention the Titans, Rams and Colts. Us Maryville folks will sure lose a lot of sleep knowing you Donkey supporters don't like us. But I am glad you basically admitted you don't like us because we beat you. Thats a real mature outlook. A tad on the contradictory side for someone who closes his posts with Peace though. By the way i said starters not seniors. We had around 30 Seniors last year. And the only thing I will remember about the Burro football program is that it was a stepping stone to two of our 7 Championships. Heres hoping that the Football Gods will smile down on Mo West Saturday and they shut your running game down a bit so we can all see your QB give his impression of a deer in headlights when he has to throw the football.

It's not just our turn with MHS out, we would have taken the thing no matter who we played.  MBA--that means you, too.

Easy to say it when you don't have to play it.

Ah don't let the little man and his computer bother you too much. He has waited two long years to gloat about Maryville getting beat because his Burros and their mighty coach had two shots and could not get it done. :D

Great banter....

You guys make me laugh. :D

I, too, hated to see Melrose lose. A great team that came within two points to being in back-to-back state championship games. Hillsboro must have a great team this year (saw them last year vs. Maryville and know they were good then) to rush for 450+ yards on Melrose. Good luck in getting the gold ball on Saturday.

Great win for Mo-Town West as they finally pulled one out over Maryville.

Should be a good game Saturday.

It's not just our turn with MHS out, we would have taken the thing no matter who we played.  MBA--that means you, too.

Easy to say it when you don't have to play it.

Ah don't let the little man and his computer bother you too much. He has waited two long years to gloat about Maryville getting beat because his Burros and their mighty coach had two shots and could not get it done. B)

MHS

So how's da view from the back seat? Looks nice up front.

:D

Peace.